• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug changes

My idea to fix/change the firebug:

We should use the ignite more that now we use it.
In this way it would be better than now and later we cpuld talk about new weapons or include molotov so on...

Lv0:

- Increase Ignite damage by 5 %
- Increase Ignite time by 10 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 50 % (just for againsat the Fire and Flamethrower simple damage (not iginte))
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 10 %
- Can't be ignited (it fixs the anoying flaming view)

Lv1:

- Increase Ignite damage by 10 %
- Increase Ignite time by 20 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 60 %
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 20 %
- Can't be ignited

Lv2:

- Increase Ignite damage by 20 %
- Increase Ignite time by 40 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 70 %
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 30 %
- Can't be ignited

Lv3:

- Increase Ignite damage by 30 %
- Increase Ignite time by 60 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 80 %
- Increase the range of your Flamethrower by 25 %
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 40 %
- Can't be ignited

Lv4:

- Increase Ignite damage by 40 %
- Increase Ignite time by 80 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 90 %
- Granades set the enemies into fire
- Increase the range of your Flamethrower by 25 %
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 50 %
- Can't be ignited

Lv5:

- Increase Ignite damage by 50 %
- Increase Ignite time by 100 %
- Increase Fire Resistance by 100 %
- Granades set the enemies into fire
- Increase the range of your Flamethrower by 50 %
- Increase the discount on Flamethrowers by 50 %
- Can't be ignited
- Spawn with Flamethrower

flamethrower ammo is just fine imo. it's just that people don't use it correctly and they unload tons of flame everywhere thinking it will be more effective.

you have to use the flamethrower in spurts. this will save your ammo and actually make it more effective. it's not a spray weapon despite the stereotypes about guys with flamerthrowers clearing out rooms of enemies.

and yes i think the firebug should not be able to be ignited. there's not danger of dying from fire anyway if you're a firebug so why bother having the annoying animation happen. not to mention, it's far too easy to be ignited when using the flamethrower considering its nearly impossible to keep EVERY specimen from touching you.

(on a side note. i think the sounds for the valve de-pressurizing and pressurizing on the flamethrower should be changed to something a little more epic, louder and believable.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
flamethrower ammo is just fine imo. it's just that people don't use it correctly and they unload tons of flame everywhere thinking it will be more effective.

you have to use the flamethrower in spurts. this will save your ammo and actually make it more effective. it's not a spray weapon despite the stereotypes about guys with flamerthrowers clearing out rooms of enemies.

and yes i think the firebug should not be able to be ignited. there's not danger of dying from fire anyway if you're a firebug so why bother having the annoying animation happen. not to mention, it's far too easy to be ignited when using the flamethrower considering its nearly impossible to keep EVERY specimen from touching you.

(on a side note. i think the sounds for the valve de-pressurizing and pressurizing on the flamethrower should be changed to something a little more epic, louder and believable.)

At hard and suicidal the ammo ends too soon as you need to spray more to get the zeds down.

Upvote 0
firebug again

firebug again

Well I agree with they should decrease the recoil of the flamethrower a bit, but I tried to play with "save your ammo" mod and it's still cool. I jsut send them burning and the ignite damage wipe them away. One shot to Clot, Gorefast, Crawler, Stalker, Siren kill them with the ignite time (about 6-7 sec, clots die immediately) and I just level 3 (yet). So if you aren't playing spray mod its a good perk anyway. Flaming granades are good enough too.

Do you think the flamethrower damage increase the ignite damage too or it buff ony the regular damage?

Any idea?

Upvote 0
Not possible on solo :(.

In the later waves, you can't space the fuel out on higher difficulties and still kill the entire wave. It usually ends up with me killing two thirds of the wave and hurting the rest, and then having to kite the rest with my pistol and knife.

It's probably a balance thing, though - a level five firebug running around with ten tanks of fuel seems like it'd be worse than the current issue with support's power, not to mention annoying as can be :|.

Especially the ones that haven't figure out yet you can't shoot through players with it ( either you can't or I can block it for some reason ).

Although fire grenades really, really help stretch out the fuel.

Upvote 0
Well, Tripwire got it right by making the Firebug's level through flame damage. This makes it a great support class (ironic) because they don't NEED to kill anything, just make it easier for everyone else to kill, well, everything. The only problem of course is that if the enemy is aflame, you have a hard time realizing that oh****what'sthatbehindtheflamesFP! however, I can't think of a great way of solving that.

I do agree that there should be absolutely no flame shake when the firebug is on fire. It's useless and silly.

As a support class the firebug doesn't need a great deal of ammo, though I wouldn't say no to an extra capacity for ammo. What it does need though is a decent weapon to use when the flamethrower, inevitably, dies out. Or, you know, a new ammo type. Incendiary rounds! Give the Firebug an incendiary round for the 9mm. It's chance of igniting ups with every level, so perhaps when you are level 0 there is a 5% chance of ignition - by level 5, a 35% chance? Gives the 9mm and the Firebug something interesting. Yes, this is patently the most unrealistic suggestion I have ever made, but it's fun, it encourages use of the firebug, and honestly, I would laugh myself silly everytime some poor zombie suddenly ignites in flames. I dare you not to giggle.

Upvote 0