• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics A little Help against Flesh Pounds

You need to stop playing on beginner.

Exactly. Most of the "I can decapitate it with a knife!" folk tend to play either on Beginner or on Solo. A Fleshpound on solo is pathetic, really. But in a 6-player normal game, they can very dangerous and take a surprising amount of pain. And on Hard/Suicidal, they can almost seem unkillable due to massive HP. Decaps are very common on the lower levels as well. On the higher ones, you'll very seldom decapitate one, period. And if you do, it'll still keep coming...

Most of the 'Headshot it with a Crossbow!' or 'Decap with a chainsaw' stuff simply won't work on Hard and up. Some of it is possible if the Fleshpound isn't focused on you (Albeit selfish, as you'll most likely rage the FP and get a teammate mauled/killed), but if a twitchy teammate runs and the FP turns it's attention to you, you may get to see first hand how stupid it is to try and Chainsaw a Fleshpound on Hard...

Upvote 0
Quote:
One thing, that no one seems to mention, is that the FP's rage doesn't last long and he doesn't run very far (even though he runs fast).

If you're a reasonable distance away, you can rage him and get away easily.
He runs for about 10-15 metres, I'd say.
You need to stop playing on beginner
lololololol

Upvote 0
Most of the 'Headshot it with a Crossbow!' or 'Decap with a chainsaw' stuff simply won't work on Hard and up. Some of it is possible if the Fleshpound isn't focused on you (Albeit selfish, as you'll most likely rage the FP and get a teammate mauled/killed), but if a twitchy teammate runs and the FP turns it's attention to you, you may get to see first hand how stupid it is to try and Chainsaw a Fleshpound on Hard...

The crossbow can work on hard. Either fire a load into it's chest or kite it and headshot it. Making sure you have maximum room to move, I don't think I've ever done it on office - not enough room. That's when you need competent teammates. But with a combination of grenades, crossbows and whatever else anyone else uses it's not so bad.

I wouldn't try it on suicidal though on my own... FPs run damn fast in Hard when they're enraged.

Upvote 0
The axe thing mentioned does work on any difficulty as it does not rely on decapitation and bleeding out as chainsaw would. It only decaps when it dies for good, if it happens. Otherwise it just 'dies' off and loses hand or leg or nothing at all. Same applies if you really want to kill it with a knife, I have never seen FP decapped by a knife other than when he's gone for good.

However, as said it requires pretty much proper team to play with (aka not good idea on publics) and give the 'kiting' responsibility to berserker and pretty much means he gotta know what he is doing, and on suicidal it might be beter to kill him with some other ways.

I wouldn't try it on suicidal though on my own... FPs run damn fast in Hard when they're enraged.

They sprint 100 yards in less than seven seconds on suicidal, or I got that kind of impression once in farm :D

Upvote 0
There are a number of ways you can deal with FPs

1) You can decapicate it. From full health. Using any weapon. On suicide.

Here is one way of doing it. Shrug

YouTube - Solo Flesh Pound in Suicide ( Killing Floor )

However, unlike lower ranked zeds it seems as if you can not decapicate him from a simple head shots. Other variables are involved here (like maybe he can only be decapicated when he is performing some of his animations or mabye he got a decapicate hit box that is different from his head shot hit box).

2) You can trick him to self-destruct.

Trigger his rage and make him lose track of you (and your team mates) while he is enraged. That too is shown in the above clip. Still on suicidal.

3) Kill him slow (Kite without rage)

...and kill him over time (or ignore until it or they are last zeds left)

This works, but it is a bit time-consuming and you need to constantly be on your move and hope you do not get trapped between two or more FPs in a small corridor or stair case (think the office map).

4) ...or kill him fast (nuke him)

FP will lock on one target as long as he have Line of Sight (LoS) and ignore your team mates. Your team mates can actually try to block his pathing dealing maximum point blank damage while the kiter run for his life with knife out.

Only rage him when the one he got locked as target have placed some distance between himself and the FP.

However, FP take half damage from all weapons except explosives (Nades and LAW). A nade does 250 explosive damage or 350 with rank 5 support spec perk. LAW does 650 explosive damage or 910 with rank 5 support spec perk.

A FP have 4000hp times 1.0 on normal, 1.35 on hard and 1.75 on suicide.

Number of players adjust this number as well, all players, except the first add another 25% to FPs.

So a suicidal FP in a six player game have 4000 * 1,75 * (1+5*0,25) = 15750HP

If my math is correct a single Support spec perk rank 5 need to throw 45 nades, or 42 double barrel hunter shotgun blasts from point blank (so you hit with all 10 pellets) or 17 LAW rockets to kill a single suicidal FP in a six player game from full hp. A single sharpshooter need 70(!) body shots or 7

Upvote 0
They sprint 100 yards in less than seven seconds on suicidal, or I got that kind of impression once in farm :D

They sure do! And they rage if you even sneeze on them! About 2 seconds of Primary Chainsawing or even a single Alt-Fire Chainsaw hit will rage 'em! So it's hard to NOT rage them on Hard/Suicidal...

The fact that your hits WILL rage them and even if they're not focused on you, they'll charge off means that while he's "raging up" and readying to charge, you'll only get a few hits in...there's no way you're catching up to a raging fleshie, even if you switch to the Knife and abuse your increased running speed! And on Hard/Suicidal, they have so much HP that you'd barely be making a dent in it, while guaranteeing that it'll be raged at someone. Tactically, a bad trade-off...

Upvote 0
About 2 seconds of Primary Chainsawing or even a single Alt-Fire Chainsaw hit will rage 'em! So it's hard to NOT rage them on Hard/Suicidal...
Yeah, it's all too often I see people attacking them wrong with the chainsaw. They either try to attack the body or alt-fire the head, neither of which methods are effective if you want to survive the encounter.

One tip I can give you is only try to chainsaw it when it's focused on you, otherwise you'll likely miss the head and make it angry.

Upvote 0
fleshpound.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll calling bull**** on that Youtube video. Prove he was actually playing on Suicidal and wasn't using any mods/mutators, please? He obviously was, because nothing appeared BUT fleshpounds, for starters...
Yesterday I killed another 5 FPs by bleed out in 6 ppl public games using nothing but my knife... Shrug. It works every time he does that animation as long as you time your attack right (which is really easy with chainsaw since it attack so fast). However, it does not always work (sometimes he does another animation while in melee range, and he is not decapicated).

Some say they can decapicate a FP using ranged weapon too (had one guy claim he decapicated one on the second bullet from a bullpup on an unharmed FP that was not in melee range with him or any other team member), which make me belive he is vulnerable to decapicate while doing another animation as well. We simply need to do more testing :)

As a sharpshooter the prefered way is still just take him out with xbow from long range and try to hide from him so he self destruct or just continue to kite / shoot him from long range (if you wanna kill him solo you need a total of 3 head shots as a max rank sharpshooter for a suicidal FP in 6 ppl game).

Whats up with the slow update in this forum? Have to wait until next day to see my reply.... sigh

Upvote 0
I'll calling bull**** on that Youtube video. Prove he was actually playing on Suicidal and wasn't using any mods/mutators, please? He obviously was, because nothing appeared BUT fleshpounds, for starters...

I replicated that on solo mode on hard and suicidial with poundamanium mutator involved to save time.

Then I recpliated it on hard with two players on private server, no mutators involved. While I am yet to try it on fully populated server, it is not completely bull****.

Upvote 0