• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please bring perks back to larger servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanker

May 22, 2009
I can only assume TWI removed perks from 50+ person servers because too many people cried about perk farming, but lets face it people;

Almost everyone does it and its far too easy to do. Theirs the old school leveling map, the new KF-Leveling map, The new new KF-Leveling map for stalkers only. Tons of threads about how to level faster and youtube videos of 2 medics healing each other with clots scratching their backs.:p

Perks are not cheating because its a CO-OP GAME! (Unless you count kill boards as some kind of who's better then whom) Your not VS other humans, your VS human to npc. Perks make the game tons more fun when you can skirt around the flesh pounder as a level 5 medic and not take a hit. When you get to start out with a flamer on suicide mode. When you can weld doors in 5sec flat. I know I am not the only one that loves them.

Now if their where perks in L4D then I would say god yes, put an end to it because of the VS mode, but its not the same in KF.

My main moan is the fact that I loved, LOVED the 50+(50-150) person servers, it was like WW3 with a touch of Left 4 Dead mixed in. Since the last patch, I only see "maybe" 3, 50-man servers a day. It used to be almost 10 a day rangeing from 30 to 50 to 100 to 150 to crazy 200.

I can recall an interview with Dev's from the old mmo Tabula Rasa. They talked about for as much as the Devs will do, gamers will do what they want to do with the game that gives them enjoyment. The Dev's never thought people would farm the living **** out of CP Defending, but everyone did, even when they got to the max level of 50, they still did CP Defending, why? Because everyone loved doing it, and the Devs never edited it because they wanted to let people play the game as they liked. Not as the Dev's them selfs intended it to be. Keep a game fluid and it shall flourish.

With the latest patch (perks gone on large man servers) it is completely contradictory to the above, I feel that TWI has given the finger to its gaming community by not letting them play as they so choose and in the end it may harm them by lowing the amount of people that play the game, in turn killing their own game. It's already starting to happen as I see fewer and fewer games now then 2/3 weeks ago.

- This is just how I honestly feel, not trying to start a flame war or upset anyone - Thank You - :)

Last edited:
AFAIK you can still use the perks you have acheived in stock servers but you can't actually level up in servers that allow more than 6 players.

And many people don't even want to get on the servers if their is nothing their hard work will count towards thus lowing the amount on larger servers over all giving rise to less over-all people playing the game, like a domino effect if you will.

Upvote 0
Perks are enabled on them... i was just on 1 now.

Not that i see the point in even playing on em, what a gigantic waste of time. Every round just turns into a 10 minute cluster**** where the specimens attack no faster than they would vs 6 people and get slaughtered on sight.

If server admin is dumb enough not to change the max-specimen at 1 time to higher number (the default is 32) then yes, it is not fun.
If admin is sensible though, he will change that number to extra 32 for every 4-5 players, so it will become exactly same and won't be ANY easier.

I realise that game was designed to be 6 max, but more players (and more specimen) DO make it more exciting.
People will find ways to abuse levelling at any case, I don't see a reason to stop players from enjoying larger servers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that this change should be reverted. Sure it can be easier to get certain stats higher(like damage) due to the additional health enemies have but by no means is this an easy way to level up your perks. As mentioned by the OP, you can just go to KF-Leveling and get an amazing amount of points without any risk of getting killed yet this is still allowed. You can even start a solo game of farm and just kite every single enemy without risk of anyone messing the conga line up and I'd consider these both to be far more effective ways to grind up levels than any 6+ person server. This change is just killing these servers and isn't preventing any unintended progress rates(have you lot seen the only map suicidal servers are running(KF-Leveling)).

Upvote 0
I support leaving it like it is. Playing with more than 6 is basically playing a mod, albeit a simple one.

Plus I like that by enabling the filter, the servers with increased max players don't show up and clutter my server browser. I have no desire to ever play them, so I don't want to see them in my browser.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.