• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better flashlight?

Electrocuuute

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
Is anyone else not really satisfied with the current flashlight?
I think the cone of light surrounding it and the way it lights up some areas kinda lame.
And how the light seems to come from BEHIND your pistol/shotgun. If the light is on the barrel, the back of your gun should be just as dark as it was before...

I remember seeing a thread saying to improve the flashlight. It said to edit some config to false on using true light maps.
Tried it, didn't really make a difference.

Aye for better flashlight?

Been said for quite some time now. Doesn't make it any less important.
I'd also like to state again that the flashlight is what I'd like to call a bloom-trap. It's almost impossible to see your target with bloom on, which I'd hate to turn off because it makes the game prettier than it does in other games.

HDR says hi. Looks much better than Bloom if your comp can handle it and doesn't have the nasty effects on the Flashlight.

I hate the way the flashlight is implimented rather than the way it actually looks, though. It's only on 2 weapons (3 if you count dualies). Period. One (9mm) is the weakest gun in the game. And the other (Shotgun) is rigged enough not to need the Flashlight as another advantage.

Couple in that the Flashlight hardly lasts longer than a minute and the fact that quite a few areas of the game that you may be prone to linger in are pitch black, and you have a mess. People avoid the basement in West London and the stairwells in Office just because of the horrible lighting situation and that's kind of a shame. Definitely needs some developer attention. Implimentation of a 'shoulder lamp' or something similar would be ideal, even if you do have to pay for it (0 weight, $100 would be reasonable, I think)

Upvote 0
Has anyone else noticed while using the iron sights + flashlight on the 9mm, the light flickers while shooting?
This is really annoying seeing as how in your PoV, the light is coming from BEHIND the gun, and it screws with the lighting even more.

Or how when you activate the flashlight, it actually turns on before you touch the module or whatever.
Don't believe me? Try it.
Use the 9mm(s) and when ZED time enables, hit the flashlight.
The light will magically come on, and THEN you move to turn it on.

Small thing, but it looks pretty awkward since you stop shooting to turn it on.

Upvote 0
I agree that it doesn't look very good, but I think this may be a limitation of the engine. Unreal2.5 doesn't support dynamic light all that well. I mean, creatures don't even cast shadows and as far as I can tell, all dynamic lights go through walls. I've been learning the editor and making maps and I'm disappointed at how limited the dynamic light support is. Dynamic lighting (and shadows) is very important in a horror game.

What bugs me is how it only seems to illuminate one wall at a time. If you put it on a corner, it won't light things up right. It's pretty hard to actually use it to see anything in a small, dark room due to the way the light works on walls.

I hope they eventually make a KF2 in the Unreal 3 engine, since it's better overall and I think it supports dyanamic light much better.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it is possible with the old unreal engine 2, but the 2001's game 'halo' had a nice little feature, which would be perfect for a horror game.The flashlight was attached to the rifle and behaved that way, so if you reloaded your assault rifle the flashlight would light the ceiling instead of what is in front of you (because of the way the player hold the rifle while reloading), making it a bit more intense in dark levels.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it is possible with the old unreal engine 2, but the 2001's game 'halo' had a nice little feature, which would be perfect for a horror game.The flashlight was attached to the rifle and behaved that way, so if you reloaded your assault rifle the flashlight would light the ceiling instead of what is in front of you (because of the way the player hold the rifle while reloading), making it a bit more intense in dark levels.

Yea i was thinking just the same, the flashlight is ATTACHED to the gun, and u reload it, the light should go where the gun is pointing. I mean when u reload, for example, shotgun, the barrel points to the left and a bit up, the light should follow where the gun really points. Would be more intense especially on dark places, and it's not realistic atm. It's actually just weird cuz it always points to the same point

Upvote 0

I've never played Halo, but Left 4 Dead also does this.

Upvote 0
I too have turned up my brightness, contrast and gamma. It actually looks fine in lighter maps like London and allows you to see easily in Farm, the only issue is that these settings transfer over to the editor which makes the buttons incredibly bright but other than this, it's fine; I've not used the torch/flashlight in weeks.

Upvote 0