• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-EscapeToHeaven

elohim

Mar 22, 2009
This is a reloaded Edition of my Map "EscapeToHeaven", which I made for the mod. (I called myself linuxtypi in that time)

Uhm, and don't stay in the houses' stomache after shopping time, or you'll get trapped ;)

I added gates for the sopping area and some details. I also remade the roof.

I worked around 12 hours for overworking the map. Now it is, like it wanted it to be in the mod :D

Download:
[url]http://bluehost.to/file/xy4jF1Wfn/KF-EscapeToHeaven.rom[/URL]

Attachments

• Shot00000.jpg
    Shot00000.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00002.jpg
    Shot00002.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00004.jpg
    Shot00004.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00007.jpg
    Shot00007.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00008.jpg
    Shot00008.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
I thought DXT5 was the best compression.
I could also have 7zipped the levelfile...

If your image has no alpha, use DXT1 compression. Using DXT3/5 will double your image size over DXT1 and not gain anything.
If your image has 1-bit (on or off) alpha information, use DXT1 with one-bit alpha. If the DXT1 image quality is too low and you don't mind doubling image size, use DXT3 or DXT5 (which one doesn't matter, they'll give the same results).
If your image has smooth gradations of alpha (fading in/out slowly), DXT5 is almost certainly your best bet, as it will give you the most accurate transparency representation.
If your image has sharp transitions between multiple alpha levels (one pixel is 100%, the next one is 50%, and another neighbor is 12%), DXT3 is probably your best bet. You may want to compare the alpha results in DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5 compression, however, to make sure.

then why didn't you simply compress the levelfile?

I generally compress, and sometimes re-compress every file before I upload it to L4Y. I want to supply the users with best and most comfortable downloads.
I tidy up the folder structures and have to add a readme to most likely 98% of them. I don't get it why KF mappers don't want to add the information who made it, how to contact the author and when it was made.
Also real descriptions and screenshots are always useful for site hosts.

Upvote 0
Some comments:

- No music. Why? There used to be in mod version.
- Why can't players go into vagina (that pink tunnel) anymore? It was like the main feature in that map.
- There's still no weapon pickups.
- I got stuck when near the main door outside the parking area (on somebody's leg). Weird. That doesn't matter really tho.

Maybe there's v2 coming? :rolleyes:

Used to love that map in mod but now it's not that good.

Upvote 0
The map has a nice name but in non retail it wasn't a good map.

I played it maybe 7 times but only had fun on it once when it was over crowded and everyone was packed inside the hallway that opens into the parking lot.

There were so many specimen and we had a huge battle out into the parking lot filled with nades, laws and everything else.

But that was just an isolated incidence, it could have happened to any map :D

Here is my suggestion for your remake based of what I've played on non retail:

Keep the parking lot, spawn points and hallway leading in, add some more detail and make it look great. Delete everything else and replace it with someone more open.

The map's title is really great and makes you think it's an epic map. It'd be to make the map watch the title in awesomeness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the worst custom map I've played. The detail is completely lacking, there is no skybox (just a ceiling with a moon on it), it's mostly omnidirectional (you can only go up, then back down, repeat), the textures aren't right, the lighting is off...I could go on and on. Normally I would explain how to fix all these but judging by the fact the designer said he spent an "extra 12 hours making it better" I don't believe it would help much.

Upvote 0
This is the worst custom map I've played. The detail is completely lacking, there is no skybox (just a ceiling with a moon on it), it's mostly omnidirectional (you can only go up, then back down, repeat), the textures aren't right, the lighting is off...I could go on and on. Normally I would explain how to fix all these but judging by the fact the designer said he spent an "extra 12 hours making it better" I don't believe it would help much.

I agree wholeheartedly! I can respect it as a piece of art and as something someone put a lot of work into, but it is definitely not a map worth playing more than once, to me.

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

I put it on my server yesterday and played it. It looked nice. However I did not like it either. To jammed up. Everyone is fighting for kills in a little hallway. I removed it today. You did a great job on making it. However the fun factor was not there for me. Keep up the good work. I know everyones tastes are different.

Upvote 0