• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No customization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philosoraptor

Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2009
I spent over an hour or two retexturing and recoloring models only to find out that when I connect online it disallows custom content by default?

This is really annoying because there's no one that will cheat by colouring models at all. It isn't hard to see specimens in the first place and they run at you.

It would boost the community if customization was allowed and even encouraged.

What pisses me off the most is the fact that I can't zero out all those trader sounds. I have to hear "YOU'RE NO FRONT BRUNO!" or whatever the **** she says like 80 times a game because she thinks I'm trying to buy something after purchasing armour.

Last edited:
there's no way to cheat by colouring models at all.
*facepalm

Um...yea no **** dude. cheating is called cheating becasue its unfair. Thats kind of the point of diallowing the content. Some customisation needs to be allowed but others no unless its on ur own server which then everyone can see how it ruins the game.

Upvote 0
This is really annoying because there's no way to cheat by colouring models at all. It isn't hard to see specimens, and it would boost the community if customization was allowed and even encouraged.

This is exactly cheating. Nothing short of it. There's a reason it's disallowed; and I predict it never will be changed.

You can, however, create a mutator quite easily...so everyone can enjoy in the fun.

The Devs consider it cheating. =/

I find it funny how they used to be modders, but now they shun custom content. Ironic and sad. :p

KF is a whole hell of a lot more moddable than L4D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Devs consider it cheating. =/

I find it funny how they used to be modders, but now they shun custom content. Ironic and sad. :p

Trust me, TWI doesn't shun custom content.... if they did why did they bother helping MareNostrum get published on Steam? Why would they release not only the Level Editor, but the UScript sources for Killing Floor (as well as Red Orchestra).

You are probably just not familiar with how UnrealEngine does things differently.

As PUTZ pointed out, you have to create a Mutator to 'mutate' how you want things setup differently.. you would then be free to run it on a server you control.. yes you won't be able to VAC.. but that's because how can VAC certify you're not cheating if you have custom code running?

Upvote 0
And recolouring textures and adding transparency and ignore settings would really work...when most of us *cough*hackers*cough* are from Css. aka we love the source engine for its stupidity yet simplicity.

There is already a KF trainer out on cheathappens -.- thats a cheat, not a re-texture of a ****ing pathetically done Eotech sight.

Upvote 0
I don't think you got what I said. It can't be cheated because you aren't playing against opponents that hide or anything like you find in a regular FPS. It's a horror cooperative and I want my guns to be golden or my gorefasts to be green instead of red. I only edited two things specimen wise, the gorefast's colour, and the light on the fleshpound, (I made it green instead of yellow when he's not raged.)

Nobody is going to colour their specimens all purple or white so they can see it better, anybody that does that is just an idiot.

I actually took a long time to put golden parts on my Desert Eagle, and completely reskin the crossbow to look like the HL2 crossbow (it was badass looking) and now I find out that I'm considered a cheater?

Speaking frankly, but it's retarded to think anyone would ever cheat this game by retexturing specimen models.

Also, invisibility of the certain specimens, like the stalker and patriarch, is engine side, and wouldn't be affected by skinning.

This is obvious a cvar or a command that automatically makes you re-download skin packs and sound packs that you've changed to the original ones. If this was simply taken out or set to allow custom content nobody would have to worry anymore. There is a gigantic custom community on UT2004 and it's always allowed online (considering seeing players is as easy as looking.)

What's even worse is I can't customize my sounds. I literally worked for awhile switching out every sound I didn't like for beefier and more dangerous sounding ones. My flamegrenade sounded immaculate when it exploded, and the trader never spoke, ever. Now it's all screwed again as I have to listen to her speak, OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was first brought up here.

I'm not a fan of it; personally, I think being able to at leave mod weapons would be nice. Worst-case scenario, someone makes a model that simulates a crosshair allowing you to get no-scope headshots easier. Oh god no, that's the worst possible thing to happen to KF!

What do you think is more important; allowing all players more freedom and personal choice and letting them personalize their game and improve the overall experience, or keeping some random jackass from getting slightly easier kills with neon-coloured specimens?

Upvote 0
It was first brought up here.

I'm not a fan of it; personally, I think being able to at leave mod weapons would be nice. Worst-case scenario, someone makes a model that simulates a crosshair allowing you to get no-scope headshots easier. Oh god no, that's the worst possible thing to happen to KF!

What do you think is more important; allowing all players more freedom and personal choice and letting them personalize their game and improve the overall experience, or keeping some random jackass from getting slightly easier kills with neon-coloured specimens?
Exactly. Freedom of choice in a game will also inspire more players to want to buy it and play it. Customization is something that kept the Half-Life and Sven-Coop community alive for years when it shouldn't have been.

Originally I was skeptical then I saw that you were working in the crusade against the traders voice. (Not that the acting is bad but the variation and phrases are annoying as hell) So good luck man :D
I had a twenty minute conversation in-game with a dude about how much we both hate how she has to comment on how you can't pick up the certain invisible item after buying combat armour. The variation is so nil, and I almost can't stand it in long games. It drives me nutters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has nothing to do w/ freedom or personal choice. UE games are just not modded by simply replacing the content that ships with the game.
This restriction be that as it may, has done little to impact the thousands of mods that have been made for UE titles. Quite the contrary, preventing the modification of original packages gives players the freedom to install mods w/o screwing up their base install.

Search for a checkreplacement mut/tutorial. This is typically the 2nd function a lot of ppl new to the engine/coding learn, the 1st being how to easy mod a weapon by changing default properties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has nothing to do w/ freedom or personal choice. UE games are just not modded by simply replacing the content that ships with the game.
This restriction be that as it may, has done little to impact the thousands of mods that have been made for UE titles. Quite the contrary, preventing the modification of original packages gives players the freedom to install mods w/o screwing up their base install.

Search for a checkreplacement mut/tutorial. This is typically the 2nd function a lot of ppl new to the engine/coding learn, the 1st being how to easy mod a weapon by changing default properties.

You don't get it.

This isn't about being able to mod and, in actuality, many games allow you to replace whatever you want without impacting the original install (both STALKERs, most Source games).

See, if I want to improve my own experience with custom skins by replacing the handcannon with a Webley-Fosbery, or the Bullpup with a Stoner 63, I'd have to make a mod and, in your and TWI's minds, that's perfectly alright.

Except it isn't, because you know who'll download that mod? Nobody. Which means I'll have exactly nobody to play with, defeating the purpose of the game. Most of those "thousands" of mods for the UE titles probably have, at this moment, zero or very few people playing them. I doubt if the majority of them ever had a significant playerbase.

So no, I don't see why I'm not allowed to replace weapon skins, models or animations. I've been insufficiently convinced that this is bad or "cheating" somehow.

Upvote 0
You don't get it.

This isn't about being able to mod and, in actuality, many games allow you to replace whatever you want without impacting the original install (both STALKERs, most Source games).

See, if I want to improve my own experience with custom skins by replacing the handcannon with a Webley-Fosbery, or the Bullpup with a Stoner 63, I'd have to make a mod and, in your and TWI's minds, that's perfectly alright.

Except it isn't, because you know who'll download that mod? Nobody. Which means I'll have exactly nobody to play with, defeating the purpose of the game. Most of those "thousands" of mods for the UE titles probably have, at this moment, zero or very few people playing them. I doubt if the majority of them ever had a significant playerbase.

So no, I don't see why I'm not allowed to replace weapon skins, models or animations. I've been insufficiently convinced that this is bad or "cheating" somehow.

argh again and again like a broken record, don't make a mod, make a mutator, something a server can download and redistribute to all players playing in the server. Are you playing KF? You do know that KF was a mod right? Red Orchestra was also a mod turned game by TWI, and they still have sufficiently large player bases. So stop whining and learn how Unreal works or go back to Source you pansy.

Upvote 0
argh again and again like a broken record, don't make a mod, make a mutator, something a server can download and redistribute to all players playing in the server. Are you playing KF? You do know that KF was a mod right? Red Orchestra was also a mod turned game by TWI, and they still have sufficiently large player bases. So stop whining and learn how Unreal works or go back to Source you pansy.

Touch a nerve did I?

argh again and again like a broken record, don't make a mod, make a mutator,

Then why were you going on about mods?

something a server can download and redistribute to all players playing in the server.

Almost the exact opposite of what I want to do.

First of all, this requires A) having your own server, and if I wanted to pay a monthly fee to play a game I'd sign up for an MMO, and B) forcing everyone else on the server to use your skins/models/anims.

Golly gee whiz, that doesn't sound a whole helluva lot like personal preference, does it?

It would also require people not only playing on your server, but them sitting while your custom content downloads. You know what I, and probably the vast majority of players do when they have wait three or four minutes while custom content downloads? They go to a different server.

You do know that KF was a mod right? Red Orchestra was also a mod turned game by TWI, and they still have sufficiently large player bases.

Aaand the point has sailed clearly over your head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so you want something that nobody else in the server will have... sounds an awful lot like cheating to me, since it can take many forms. If you have ever played RO then you would know that EH mg mut. takes all of 5 seconds to download. Just because it is a mutator doesn't make it huge. And I threw in the mod talk since you were bashing UT mods and their lack of l33t. Personally I feel that TWI has given the community too much leeway on their personal preference. Other than graphics I think that everything should be locked so that it gives everybody the same gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so you want something that nobody else in the server will have... sounds an awful lot like cheating to me, since it can take many forms. If you have ever played RO then you would know that EH mg mut. takes all of 5 seconds to download. Just because it is a mutator doesn't make it huge.

Wow, I use high-resolution screens, allow me to see enemies easier! I must be cheating!

I have a high DPI mouse, giving my aim more precision! I must be cheating!

I've got a good graphics card, giving me a higher framerate and enabling me to react to threats faster! I must be cheating!

See what I'm getting at?

And I threw in the mod talk since you were bashing UT mods and their lack of l33t.

Uhh... what?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.