• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just finished playing on a 150-man server...

Arcane

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
england
... on West London, on Normal Difficulty, and I have to say it ran very smoothly for a game designed for 6 player co-op. However there were only around 70-80 people playing when I joined.

To me this is why I love online gaming. The people there were all there for the same reason; shooting some zombies... and to see how well the engine and server handled so many people on at one time. The Patriarch was insanely difficult though. And I mean insane. The whole match from Wave 1-Wave 10 lasted ~2h 30min and the battle between 70 players and The Patriarch must have taken about 30-40 mintues of that time. The result was The Patriarch still won! Incredible!
That said, it was a very enjoyable game, aside from the frame rate issues I had when looking down an alley with 40 people running through it.

I took my place eagerly on the spectators camera after being killed by The Patriarch, and watched as player by player was slaughtered in his wrath. The greatest part was watching the last guy left skillfully maneouvre himself around the Police Car to avoid becoming mince meat from the MG. Community was pretty hyped for the last guy too. Well played to you.

Am looking forward to joining another large server again the next time I need a couple of hours of pure fun, maybe not 150 players though!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I was in that game too, and a good one it was. You didn't mention the best bit though! On wave 10 there were probably 15 Flesh Pounds chasing various players and due to the player count they have insane amounts of health(still nothing compared to the patriarch) and take ages to kill. After they slaughtered about 3/4 of the team(with many people still running around) we all made passes of each other and shot each other's Flesh Pounds as we went.

I'd upload pics but apparently assigning the screenshot key to Print Screen doesn't result in anything getting saved. :(

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I was in that game too, and a good one it was. You didn't mention the best bit though! On wave 10 there were probably 15 Flesh Pounds chasing various players and due to the player count they have insane amounts of health(still nothing compared to the patriarch) and take ages to kill. After they slaughtered about 3/4 of the team(with many people still running around) we all made passes of each other and shot each other's Flesh Pounds as we went.

I'd upload pics but apparently assigning the screenshot key to Print Screen doesn't result in anything getting saved. :(
At the moment my in-game name is just "tom" so if you remember seeing that name then i was there :) I seem to remember the name Dark-something so you're probably right.
Fantastic game though. Still impressed at how well it all held up!

Upvote 0

Hehe, it was a good game. It's a shame the map changed when that guy stood a chance of possibly beating the Patriarch by himself. Shame it has a stupidly high amount of health with that many players though - I personally feel this can be an issue considering the highly varied quality of the players. One other issue is with the player/player collision during trading time, it meant that over half of the players never managed to buy anything! Shame because these large scale games can be so fun.

Upvote 0
I played a 50 slot server this morning. It seemed to go pretty well, but it's hard to really judge, as distance caused me to have a ping of about 150. But I too noticed how incredibly tough the Patriarch is with tons of people (let's face it, his health scale probably wasn't designed with more than 6 people in mind)
After about thirty minutes of the Patriarch being bombarded with grenades and rockets, pounded with every weapon in the game, having swarms of people running up to knife/axe/chainsaw him, all while being on fire the entire time...he wipes out the last player, losing only one health vial.
It's good to know he wasn't exaggerating about that whole 'send armies' bit.

Upvote 0
Hehe, it was a good game. It's a shame the map changed when that guy stood a chance of possibly beating the Patriarch by himself. Shame it has a stupidly high amount of health with that many players though - I personally feel this can be an issue considering the highly varied quality of the players. One other issue is with the player/player collision during trading time, it meant that over half of the players never managed to buy anything! Shame because these large scale games can be so fun.
Very true. Those were the only annoying issues for me as well, and because people knew of the limitations of the trader, people had already set up their camping fire outside the Trader's location while there were still around 100 mutated to kill.

I played a 50 slot server this morning. It seemed to go pretty well, but it's hard to really judge, as distance caused me to have a ping of about 150. But I too noticed how incredibly tough the Patriarch is with tons of people (let's face it, his health scale probably wasn't designed with more than 6 people in mind)
After about thirty minutes of the Patriarch being bombarded with grenades and rockets, pounded with every weapon in the game, having swarms of people running up to knife/axe/chainsaw him, all while being on fire the entire time...he wipes out the last player, losing only one health vial.
It's good to know he wasn't exaggerating about that whole 'send armies' bit.
Yeah the Patriarch is ridiculously overpowered. He only ran to heal once in our epic 70-man battle, and normally he does this 2-3 times, so he would have been near impossible. There should be an achievement for beating the Patriarch on a server with over 25 people. It's harder than Suicidal!

Upvote 0
Very true. Those were the only annoying issues for me as well, and because people knew of the limitations of the trader, people had already set up their camping fire outside the Trader's location while there were still around 100 mutated to kill.

Yeah the Patriarch is ridiculously overpowered. He only ran to heal once in our epic 70-man battle, and normally he does this 2-3 times, so he would have been near impossible. There should be an achievement for beating the Patriarch on a server with over 25 people. It's harder than Suicidal!

Added in Achievements for non-standard gameplay? I don't think so. :p

Upvote 0