• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flashlight fixed! Simple .ini tweak!

Mkilbride2599

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
In the .ini, UseCompressedLightmaps=False

Doing this made the Flashlight look GREAT! It's now actually useful! I can use it - AND SEE THINGS!

So I guess the only problem with the Flashlight was a default .ini setting.

Alot of tweaking can be done to improve Image Quality and Sound quality at almost NO performance impact!

Tip: Play around with your .ini, you're given a backup for a reason. :p

Some people go and tell me if it works for them or I'm just seeing things.

Last edited:
OP did you change that in the killingfloor.ini on your ded server or somewhere else?

In the Killing Floor .ini, that's exactly what I said.

MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE OPTION IN THE CORRECT RENDERER.

It's -very- important.

Since I use D3D9, [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice], is the one you have to set it under. If you use OpenGL, use [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] obviously.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] if you use the default D3D, not D3D9. You have to set them in the correct rendering device.

Killing Floor / System / KillingFloor.ini

Upvote 0
Awesome, do you have any screenshots? It's going to take a while until I get home.

Nah, I don't really have any, butf or the difference it makes, I'd say this.

It actually projects light if you put it on an object and doesn't hinder yer sight. I've noticed I can see things much easier now.

Hrm, after doing a little "Comparison", it seems it might've been in all in my head. It doesn't explain why it still works better now, just randomly?

Oh well, I guess I was wrong. Sorry guys, it was a placebo effect.

my.php
(UseCompressedLightmaps=False)
killingfloor20090521130s.jpg

my.php
(UseCompressedLightmaps=True)
my.php
killingfloor20090521130.jpg

=/ I dunno why, it just felt like it was better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the .ini, UseCompressedLightmaps=False

Doing this made the Flashlight look GREAT! It's now actually useful! I can use it - AND SEE THINGS!

Are you sure that was it and you didn't just enabled dynamic lights? My flashlight wasn't working either and I was thinking 'god, how stupid is this that they made such a dim torch' but szr pointed out that it only works if dynamic lights are on. Whodathunkit.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that was it and you didn't just enabled dynamic lights? My flashlight wasn't working either and I was thinking 'god, how stupid is this that they made such a dim torch' but szr pointed out that it only works if dynamic lights are on. Whodathunkit.

I put all Graphics options on when I first started the game. Completely maxed. :p

Upvote 0