• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor in the Press -

Thanks for the faith in the custom mappers

and after reading that interview, Alex seems to be a real weirdo ... in a good way ... unless you meet him in the dark hyped up about killing monsters in a game :eek:
After 5 years working on 1 mod, with a small team - then being hit by the Tripwire truck at full throttle - I think ANYONE would be a bit "quirky" :)

Upvote 0
Early review on http://gamesnafu.com/[url]http://gamesnafu.com/[/URL] - seems reasonably fair, too :)

Decent review, though it shows some bad footage early on, but gets better. It was pretty biased though...to say... "This game is perfect, aside from the interface", and not addressing gameplay issues. Oh well, never heard of snafu before, so I'm sure they tried their best. :p

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Guys, don't judge it by running it through google translator :)
Unfortunately, my English isn't that good, so I won't be able to translate it properly.

Anyway, I said it does not compete with new games, but it's worth buying to have fun with friends or w/e. The weapons feel powerful and they're all awesome. There's also a unique horror setting and the developers did a decent job and managed to produce probably the best graphics ever from UE2.5.

I also say it feels a little outdated, the voice acting is terrible and there are lots of problems with the technical part. I also mentioned the lack of game modes and maps.

I wouldn't pay a full price for it, for heck, it sure is fun. Worth the 15 bucks.

Upvote 0
Well, for some reason it didn't send my post so I'm going to write it again. You guys can't judge the review by running through Google Translator (though that's hilarious) :)
Since my English isn't good enough, I won't be able to translate the entire review properly, but I can try and summarize it for you:

I wrote the game is overall pretty good. It provides a great horror experience, the weapons feel powerful, and the developers did a great job with the graphics (probably the best they could with UE2.5). It's extremely fun with friends, too.

I didn't like the voice acting (though the weapons sound awesome, very realistic), the lack of maps and game modes (and yeah, I mentioned there are a few more planned and the SDK was released), and the fact that the game feels a little outdated.

So in my honest opinion it doesn't worth a full price, but for 15 bucks it's a must-own. It still needs some technical fixes, but hey, what are updates for?

It's a decent action game and it got an 80.

Upvote 0
Well, for some reason it didn't send my post so I'm going to write it again. You guys can't judge the review by running through Google Translator (though that's hilarious) :)
Since my English isn't good enough, I won't be able to translate the entire review properly, but I can try and summarize it for you:

I wrote the game is overall pretty good. It provides a great horror experience, the weapons feel powerful, and the developers did a great job with the graphics (probably the best they could with UE2.5). It's extremely fun with friends, too.

I didn't like the voice acting (though the weapons sound awesome, very realistic), the lack of maps and game modes (and yeah, I mentioned there are a few more planned and the SDK was released), and the fact that the game feels a little outdated.

So in my honest opinion it doesn't worth a full price, but for 15 bucks it's a must-own. It still needs some technical fixes, but hey, what are updates for?

It's a decent action game and it got an 80.

It did get posted. :p

Best UT 2.5 Graphics ever? Nah, that is probably BioShock(UT 2.5 with some UT 3.0 additions, but still technically classified as UT 2.5 Engine)

Upvote 0
It did get posted. :p

Best UT 2.5 Graphics ever? Nah, that is probably BioShock(UT 2.5 with some UT 3.0 additions, but still technically classified as UT 2.5 Engine)

WHY do people think bioshock uses UE 2.5. IT DOESNT.

They are using what is for all intents and purposes, unreal engine 3.0 , and even then, it has been tweaked out to their specifications.

KF == 2k4 engine + bloom.

And incase you dont know what that means, ill help you out.

No normal maps, no bump maps, no displacement maps, no pixel shaders effects like post processing or per pixel lighting, no stencil shadows, no fresnel shaders... All of the stuff that Bioshock has in spades

please learn a little more about engine tech before you open your mouth :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty saddened with the "review" of Alec Meer on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/19/wot-i-think-killing-floor/

A lot of people seem to be defending the game though in the comments!

I'm a fan of the Mod & game and I found his Review quite unbiased. It seems any review that isn't "KF ROCKS, IT IS THE BEST< PLAY IT!", are shunned here. Given, it is the games forums so it is to be expected, I was hoping for a mature playerbase in KF.

The only part I truly disagree with was his comment about the price tag. I don't like prices factoring into Reviews.

One of the comments I hated:

"I’m also grateful to Tripwire for bringing market pressure to bear on Valve. It’s hard to miss the fact that KF shipped with its SDK and map editor, and Valve finally, magically released a “beta” version of the same for L4D - the day after KF hit Steam, and many, many months after the user community originally expected it. Never mind Tripwire’s truly excellent record of support and free add-on content for Red Orchestra; if Tripwire hadn’t been so open with KF, who knows how much longer we’d be waiting on Valve?"

Valve helped TWI release the game, without Valve, I seriously doubt KF would of seen the light of day as a Retail game. Probably Red Orchestra also, wouldn't have enjoyed such an extended shelf-life. Also, people like this should read the text documents in the games folder, many thanks to Valve are placed there by the team.

Valve also makes money if KF makes money. So I don't see how releasing the L4D SDK a fay after KF means much of anything, as it was planned to be released soon anyways.

"And a huge thanks to everyone at Valve who helped us. Once again, we couldn’t have done this without
Valve’s support and encouragement. It is always a pleasure working with them. Always a pleasure
partying with them too! Our heartfelt thanks from all at Tripwire Interactive." - KF Game Manual

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of the KF fanboys really need to stay away from these sort of discussions like on RPS - seriously you are doing the game a huge disfavor by ranting wildly about it.

Other than that, opinions and discussion about the game is only positive, and helps the game get noticed by more people. In fact I think its amazingly great its getting so much attention considering its humble origins.

Imagine the number of people who now know of Tripwire who hadn't even heard of them before. Might get a few interested in RO as well, and certainly helps build awareness of HOS.

As to the Valve/TWI discussion, a little friendly competition is only good for both parties :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0