• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tons of problems with the editor.

razerpro

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
I cant seem to delete walls when i copy the trader. I can't delete a box once its been added, and i cant move vertexes if there on the under side of a box, and help?

Never mind i give up, worst editor ive ever used. Sorry to say it

Last edited:
Yeah it is really bad. Valve's Hammer editor is so much better and user friendly.

I played around with the KF sdk for like 8 hours and couldnt even delete certain things, its bloody stupid..there is no "create box" tool to just create like a plain old wall, be able to move it and then paint its faces with textures...

Upvote 0
Sorry if you guys don't understand the Unreal editor but don't blame it for your lack of experience. The Unreal editor is widely regarded as the best in the industry. Learn the tools, they are powerful.

But biased there, eh? I've never heard -anyone-, especially in the industry call them the best tools in the industry. I hear they are easier to use than Valves, so this post is confusing to me. Most modders I talk to talk about the ease of use of UT2004's editor, but lack of features.

Upvote 0
most editors ive used before, have had alot of functions / features, however this Unreal editor seems to have alot of features but the basic ones are made even harder, for instance you cant grab 2 corners of a box and move them, i tried from every angle, every view port and its impossible so you cant make a box that slants on all sides. Kind of a basic thing, thats either impossible or really really hard.

Upvote 0
I played around with the KF sdk for like 8 hours and couldnt even delete certain things, its bloody stupid..there is no "create box" tool to just create like a plain old wall, be able to move it and then paint its faces with textures...

To delete things, simple select whatever you wish to delete and then press the "Delete" key. For geometry and such you will need to rebuild.

To make a wall, click "Cube" (or right-click and choose dimensions). Then either adjust the brush to look like what you want, and hit "Subtract" to create it. (Your map is essentially a block of clay). It will inherit whatever the currently selected texture in the texture browser is. To change the texture, click the surface then after choosing a new one in the texture browser, right click the surface and hit "Apply Texture".

and i cant move vertexes if there on the under side of a box, and help?
The 3d Viewport can help with this, Enabling "Show large vertices" can make it easier to click them.

for instance you cant grab 2 corners of a box and move them, i tried from every angle, every view port and its impossible so you cant make a box that slants on all sides. Kind of a basic thing, thats either impossible or really really hard.
Select the "Vertex Editing" Tool (Top right button next to camera movement). Select whatever brush you want to edit the vertices of. Ctrl+alt+left-click-drag around whatever vertices you want. To select multiple sets of vertices, ctrl+alt+shift+left-click-drag around addition vertices (ctrl+alt+shift-left-click-drag works for grabbing a single set aswell).

Upvote 0
But biased there, eh? I've never heard -anyone-, especially in the industry call them the best tools in the industry. I hear they are easier to use than Valves, so this post is confusing to me. Most modders I talk to talk about the ease of use of UT2004's editor, but lack of features.
Yeah I mean, all these development teams with millions of dollars think they suck, that's why they made their own engine and tools instead of so many developers and publishers licensing UE2/UE3.

Source has been licensed by like what.. 10 small devs? Vs. nearly 200 or something for unreal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just wanted to throw my 2 bits into the discussion. The editor has impressive depth. With that depth comes difficulty. I have personally spent over 100 hours learning about the editor and I still consider myself very unskilled in comparison to other mappers. This is not a simple editor, it is a powerful editor that takes time and knowledge to be proficient at. Watching the videos and reading the manuals will allow you to start the learning process, it will not allow you to be very good with the editor.

Respectfully,

Upvote 0
JimMiller is right.
UnrealEd is powerful.
Many of the functions are hidden and most of the time not self-explanatory.

The mentioned problems with vertecies and whatnot can be done with ease if you know how to use the editor properly.

Sure..there is better BSP editors out there such as RED for Red Faction. But that's another story.
I'm not sure about the "most powerful" thing, though.

I think Sandbox on CryEngine2 is the most powerful one, right in front of UnrealEd, but haven't used it long enough.
I kinda dislike UnrealEd4 on the other hand. It's too slow on every simple process.

Watching video tuts requires a lot of time, but in the end it's more than worth it.

Source has been licensed by like what.. 10 small devs? Vs. nearly 200 or something for unreal.
Now, doesn't that prove that Unreal engine IS powerful?
It is. Many of the unreal engine basing games celebrate huge success. (GoW,SplinterCell,Bioshock, KILLING FLOOR etc etc etc)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok..so if the tool's so good how come its near impossible to pickup and use?

How would i go about removing a door and filling in the gap and removing a zombie spawn, and then go about making a window in a wall, also how about spawning ammo boxes and weapons.

I'm trying to edit the trader example map so i can be in a room where im protected and safe from zombies unless i stand too close to the window and please the pyromaniac in me...or just get some quick headshot practice in with reflex training. But so far it's been unsuccessful and bloody frustrating.

PS- Tripwire guys, why the hell does the flamethrower have really terrible recoil? it's insane and quite annoying lmfao

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How would i go about removing a door and filling in the gap and removing a zombie spawn, and then go about making a window in a wall, also how about spawning ammo boxes and weapons.

To delete objects, simply select them and then hit "Delete". Geometry and such will still appear in the 3D perspective until you have rebuilt. To make a window on a map as simple as this, the easiest way would just essentially make a small "hallway" between two cubes on the map. For a normal map you would be adding a brush with a the window in it, or prepare a static mesh for use in it. Ammo boxes and weapons can be found in the Actor Browser under "Actor.Pickup".

Upvote 0