• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Editing a skin will not let you get online

I'm with the pro-custom skins guys with this one.

The only real extent a custom model/skin can effect gameplay is something that would simulate a crosshair (which is really the only reason custom skins aren't allowed on some CS servers; so people can't no-scope with sniper rifles).

And really, what would please the playerbase more? Allowing personal pereference with custom skins, models, and animations, or not allowing some guy to noscope zombies with the lever-action (something you can do already)?

Upvote 0
This is an odd discussion.

Obviously, you can mod anything you want. It just requires a server running your "mod". That's how it was in UT2k4, RO, and here. It's the way the engine works, to my knowledge.

Changing a texture is innocent enough, beyond invisible walls or glowing zombies, but it'd be difficult to allow "only" reskins (and almost completely pointless). Allowing new models/animations leads to chaos serverside, I'd imagine. Quick example: One player is a 100 foot tall titan, the other is a 1 foot tall mini-robot. Imagine either one trying to navigate the level while the server presumably things they're normal models... and so on and so forth. I certainly hope no one here things being allowed to locally modify your guns/gametype/etc. for any server is a good idea

Oh, and some devil's advocacy: Despite my stance, it doesn't change the fact that disallowing texture alterations "to stop people from cheating for perks" is hilarious. A little googling or asking around should reveal that at least one program already exists to give any perk or achievement you want for numerous Steam games (including this one). Not to mention the fact that Perks already seemed bugged and will occasionally be "gifted" if you join listen servers, or something.

Upvote 0

Obviously, you can mod anything you want. It just requires a server running your "mod". That's how it was in UT2k4, RO, and here. It's the way the engine works, to my knowledge.

Changing a texture is innocent enough, beyond invisible walls or glowing zombies, but it'd be difficult to allow "only" reskins (and almost completely pointless). Allowing new models/animations leads to chaos serverside, I'd imagine. Quick example: One player is a 100 foot tall titan, the other is a 1 foot tall mini-robot. Imagine either one trying to navigate the level while the server presumably things they're normal models... and so on and so forth. I certainly hope no one here things being allowed to locally modify your guns/gametype/etc. for any server is a good idea

Oh, and some devil's advocacy: Despite my stance, it doesn't change the fact that disallowing texture alterations "to stop people from cheating for perks" is hilarious. A little googling or asking around should reveal that at least one program already exists to give any perk or achievement you want for numerous Steam games (including this one). Not to mention the fact that Perks already seemed bugged and will occasionally be "gifted" if you join listen servers, or something.

I'm not terribly knowledgable about how servers work for KF, but I know for source games it's up to the server to allow certain degrees of custom content. Some will force default skins/anims, some will allow custom skins but not models, some will allow anything.

And I don't think custom playermodels are allowed anywhere except on specially-modded servers.

If you could code the server software to only allow custom gun models, skins, and anims and maybe custom zombie skins (based on some sort of variable, like sv_pure for source games), then it could work out and minimize cheating.

I mean... you have to expect that people will find a way to cheat or otherwise get some sort of edge (either with neon-green zombies or crosshair-simulating guns or whatever), it's just minimizing it as much as possible without adversely affecting genuine player experience too much.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to the UT engine in general.
Would it be possible for devs to approve a generic mutator to run without perks disabled, with the sole purpose of the mutator to allow skin replacements?
It would be a huge disappointment to be unable to make the stalker even more forbidden zombie pleasure-y. Uh, or replace the bullpup's eotech sight.

Upvote 0

In Quake and Elite force, if you had a custom player model, the server saw you as the default player model. But in CS:S the models all have a consistency limit, if they go over that limit the server basically tells you to GTFO. So no someone can't be a 100 foot giant and the other like a dwarf.

And by reskins, i mean replacements in general.
Sounds are client side
Textures are client side
Models are client side
You get my drift? anyone with a brain can turn valve's adorable little counterstrike source into a hackers wet dream, anything you replace you will see results on 60% of servers (sv_pure 0).

I just want to be able to play Suicidal with my mates and customise certain things to my liking.

Upvote 0
Then write a checkreplacement mutator.
New user created content without overwriting existing packages. This is modding, replacing existing packages with something else is just replacing existing packages with something else.

We wanna use our new stuff on all servers. Currently the voices & gun sounds are a little crappy, models are fine, but I want a better Chainsaw, presumably an animated one, but if I do, any server I join, will need to have it also. That's pretty disappointing. I guess we've been spoiled by Source games ability to allow for Custom Content. We've forgot it's not that common in most other games.

We just figured, as former modders, they'd understand and accept what we want.

It's also true that methods to get all perks instantly already exist, as I've seen evidence of this on many of my favorite forums.

Upvote 0
Guys, we can not support client side modification of skins, as it is prone to hacking. We understand that you guys don't see that as a threat, but we still treat it as though its a Player vs. Player game because we do not want people using modified files to obtain the Perks/Achievements. This really is an important aspect to people continuing to play the game.

Sorry to say but from what I've hard, Perk hacks are already out and can be done with a simple memory hack.

Upvote 0
I want a damn Chainsaw Arm from Army of Darkness and I want to use it on any server I join, just like most games allow today.

Source games yes. Most other games no, and Unreal engine based games never (as far as I know). Like has been said elsewhere in this thread, make a cool mutator and then get servers to run it. That is how things are done in the Unreal world.

Upvote 0
Well then, can any of you TWI guys write a tutorial on how to create a few mutators like stalkers only, no crawlers, scrakes only? - even the editor is bloody stupid, i can navigate 3ds max 2010 better -.-

If you could do just that for the community, i'll go buy a dedicated server for

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Valve 2 = custom content + sdk
TWI 0

SDK has been released on day2 or so afaik

TWI was faster than Valve ;)
just because you cant just replace files doesnt mean that you cant use custom content

just accept the FACT that you cant just replace a file without a mutator
if you want your own content then host your own server

Upvote 0
ok, i can see the point for not letting custom skins going into the standart game else then with a mutator.
but what is the problem with custom sounds??

cheating via custom sounpacks seems alot unlikely for me and getting the soundpack spread around when you only can use some of a few servers wich have the mutator with it, seems unlikely for me too... (aside from the fact that i have no idea how to do a soundpack mutator)

the music files are 100% client side, why are the soundfiles not?

Upvote 0
Ramm said it best when he referenced the "Unreal world". Because Source does things one way does not mean that every other engine does, and does not make Unreal any less user friendly. It is like learning a language, no matter how much you fuss at where the verbs are in German, its not going to change where the verbs belong.

Upvote 0
The simple fact is that people would make invisible walls (which wouldnt work anyway, if you can see the zombies spawn point they wont spawn) people would make brightly coloured enemies in order to hit them easier.

It's the same with editing a hud. In most games the sniper rifle doesn't have a cross hair, only the scope. If you could add a cross hair to the hud, that means they could use the rifle unscoped.

Make your own mod and host it on a server if you want your own custom content.

Upvote 0
No worries gentlemen, the group Suicidal Rampage will be modding their server to improve gameplay.

Once i hit level 5 commando which is pretty soon, ill have Mr perky and i will only be playing on their server as it's on Suicidal.

Here's a sneak preview of what the server will include;
Less flamethrower recoil that isn't as ridiculous.
Quite a few skin replacments.
Better weapon stats (Edited because red frog is a troll)
Smarter AI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-Less flamethrower recoil that isn't as ridiculous.
hm, it's not that ridiculous.
-Quite a few skin replacments.
there are barely any better skins (skins = textures) in any other game on the market. Good luck
-Better weapon statistics.
so the specimen know who they are dealing with!
-Smarter AI.
they ate a lot brains meanwhile. They have to be smarter by now, that's true!

smiley_emoticons_opa_boese2.gif

Upvote 0