• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad realism

In between getting fed some definates from Tripwire it is a lot of fun brainstorming how to get gameplay to flow in a realistic way, something beyond the run of the mill WWII FPS offering.

There are boundaries to gameplay in most FPS games which stifle the immersion factor. If there even are squads; people feel no incentive to join them, weapon distribution is a crapshoot, respawns either ruin continuity (as in treks accross the map) or ruin realism (such as respawning on squad leader). Another unrelated yet unrealistic factor of FPS gameplay is that troops typically don't break. Perhaps there might be a way of mixing squad play with breaking under fire and troop morale realism.

I don't know how many people here are familiar with the Combat Mission game. This is turn based strategy game, but this game effectively albiet sometimes annoyingly models the characteristic of troops breaking under fire. The suppresion can range from being pinned to retreating in terror. Proximity to the Platoon leaders also dictates how effectively orders are carried out, as well as troop morale.

Squads or lone wolfs will not voluntarily retreat in battle. There is no fear factor in computer gaming, you won't really die to the rain of bullets. On the other hand many times there is reluctance to follow out the squad leaders orders of advancing to the objective because they are more comfortable doing what they already are doing.

I've been pondering what the implimentation of a squad related suppression system might be like. Suppression effects would be something like blurring of the screen, combined with uneasiness of positioning and perhaps the elevated sound of a heart beat.

Imagine something like this;
1) Troops under fire receive effects of suppression.
2) Proximity to squad leader would determine the severity
3) Bonus to capping regions with squad would be reduced suppression effects during the game.
4) Loss of life in squad would increase suppression effects and,
5) this would also open up a zone of retreat which would
6) enable the respawn for fallen teammate when part of squad enters this zone.
7) Conversely if fallen teammate hasn't been revived to combat within a long respawn time (such as 5 minutes) he would respawn in the zone of retreat.
8) Lone wolfs would automatically have elevated suppression when under fire, as they would not be in proximity of a squad leader.

Using suppresion in a squad based system would not duplicate the feeling of fear, but it would try to duplicate the effects of fear under fire. Superior fire power would create effective pinning and possible routing.

Call of Duty World at War has a mode of gameplay called Search and Destroy. In this game there is a time limit to either defend or plant a bomb within a certain time frame. If a team member is shot, he is out for the contest. Perhaps the retreat zone idea would be similar to Search & Destroy in that being shot could take someone out of the game for the majority of a contest. It would be the squad's decision whether to retreat to pick up a reinforcement(s) or press on to complete the mission.

Another idea that has crossed my mind is one of weapon distribution. I like how Red Orchestra creates slots for the available weapons in a game. Who gets a MG or Sniper Rifle can make a great bearing on who the game winner will be. Perhaps there could be another reason in joining a squad. You could make the squad leader responsible for determining who gets the MG or Sniper weapon. When the squad is being formed he could decide who in the squad should have the special weapon. If the squad leader does not select anyone the 5th person on the squad would get this weapon.

I've talked a little about communication in another post I made, and many people have had good takes on this, but I believe that open communication to everyone on your team is a bad idea. I've been in some games such as COD WAW where talking with a mic actually is discouraged because it just gets too confusing. On the other hand I really think teamwork within a squad could improve with a squad only communication setup. (I still think it would be nice for the squad leader to be able to communicate with the Platoon leader however). Some people have suggested a proximity communication system which would feel fairly realistic which isn't a bad idea either.

I am quite anxious to hear what actually will be implimented in the new RO game, until then it's nice to dream a little.

I'm sure some people wouldn't see the benefits to some of the ideas I've suggested, yet it would be great to hear from someone who might take one of these ideas and make a suggestion that would make it even better.

Having the game take away control from players is always a bad thing.

Players should always feel like they got killed because they got outplayed, not because the game punished them.

Yes its not ideal that theres not a morale system, but guess what. This is a video game, people aren't afraid of death, so you're never going to have a totally realistic system.

You're always going to have people go kamikaze with a satchel charge, amping up suppression effects for people who aren't near other team members is not a good idea, and won't stop people being unafraid of dying in a videogame.

At best you'll just piss off people who don't want to play the game the same way you want it to be played.

Upvote 0

Players should always feel like they got killed because they got outplayed, not because the game punished them.

Yes its not ideal that theres not a morale system, but guess what. This is a video game, people aren't afraid of death, so you're never going to have a totally realistic system.

You're always going to have people go kamikaze with a satchel charge, amping up suppression effects for people who aren't near other team members is not a good idea, and won't stop people being unafraid of dying in a videogame.

At best you'll just piss off people who don't want to play the game the same way you want it to be played.

A little while after I submitted this post I came to the conclusion that my idea in regards to suppression was complicated to understand or impliment.

I've read forum posts in regards to suppression; people either love or hate the idea. It has been implimented in several games with differing degrees of success.

If I were to simplify the idea I had above it would be to leave the effects of suppression to times that a squad was not full strength, whether it would be a lone wolf or a squad that lost a member in the fight. This would attempt to simulate the elevated effects of fear.

Looking at this in a different way if I eliminated from my idea the effects of suppression there still might have an interesting effect on gameplay, which could simulate effects of falling back due to fear.

Playing the idea out; lets say a squad lost one of it's members in a firefight. This squad would have the choice of continuing on reduced strength if they feel they could cap the next zone, of which captured would respawn the fallen team mate. On the other hand they could fall back to the retreat zone which would also respawn the fallen team mate. I still like this idea because there would be big consequences for dying in battle. This would also eliminate the respawn of a squad member from across the map or unrealistically having a respawn directly back on the squad leader.

Call of Duty WAW has a gametype which I mentioned in my post above (Search and Destroy) which once you die you are out for the contest. This game type plays out well because of the consequences for dying, and it works well on a smaller map with one game objective. The idea I've suggested would allow for larger maps. It would be possible for an entire side to be wiped out as in S&D but it would also be possible to bring a team back to full strength. There would be 2 ways to get the squad back to strength 1 in advancement and 1 in retreat. If an entire squad got wiped out it would make the opposing team's victory that much easier so working together would be much more important than going for individual glory.

It is fun to look at gameplay from different perspectives. Most likely the core of the new RO game is pretty much fleshed out, but perhaps little discussions such as to be found in the Ideas and Suggestions forum will take root to new immersive ideas for a future game.

Upvote 0
A little while after I submitted this post I came to the conclusion that my idea in regards to suppression was complicated to understand or impliment.

I've read forum posts in regards to suppression; people either love or hate the idea. It has been implimented in several games with differing degrees of success.

I'm not against having suppression effects.

I think its realistic to make MG's more effective thatway, otherwise riflemen have an unrealistic edge as its too easy for them pop up and take out MG's.

I just don't think suppression effects should be linked to a "moral" system where you have to stay close to other players to avoid worse suppression.

Games shouldn't have to simulate emotions for players using cheap tricks. If you can't make players scared enough to fall back, then you shouldn't disable them so they fall back for unrealistic reasons because you think they should be feeling fear.

If players are falling back because their team mates are getting killed, it should be because its how to play the game better.

If the squad leader gets killed, it should effect the other players because the squad leader is useful and is no longer able to fight, not because you put an effect on so that when the squad leader is killed, its harder to hold a gun straight.

Upvote 0
I'm not against having suppression effects.

I think its realistic to make MG's more effective thatway, otherwise riflemen have an unrealistic edge as its too easy for them pop up and take out MG's.

I just don't think suppression effects should be linked to a "moral" system where you have to stay close to other players to avoid worse suppression.

Games shouldn't have to simulate emotions for players using cheap tricks. If you can't make players scared enough to fall back, then you shouldn't disable them so they fall back for unrealistic reasons because you think they should be feeling fear.

If players are falling back because their team mates are getting killed, it should be because its how to play the game better.

If the squad leader gets killed, it should effect the other players because the squad leader is useful and is no longer able to fight, not because you put an effect on so that when the squad leader is killed, its harder to hold a gun straight.

The effect of tieing fear as suppression together with the squad's loss of life was something I saw modeled in another game Combat Mission. I wanted to look at ways to model fearful respect of an enemy that has the upperhand. You do have a valid point that it wouldn't be beneficial to punish the rest of the squad for the loss. I will concede this idea.

I do think the rest of my last post had a valid point.

Looking at this in a different way if I eliminated from my idea the effects of suppression there still might have an interesting effect on gameplay, which could simulate effects of falling back due to fear.

Playing the idea out; lets say a squad lost one of it's members in a firefight. This squad would have the choice of continuing on reduced strength if they feel they could cap the next zone, of which captured would respawn the fallen team mate. On the other hand they could fall back to the retreat zone which would also respawn the fallen team mate. I still like this idea because there would be big consequences for dying in battle. This would also eliminate the respawn of a squad member from across the map or unrealistically having a respawn directly back on the squad leader.

Call of Duty WAW has a gametype which I mentioned in my post above (Search and Destroy) which once you die you are out for the contest. This game type plays out well because of the consequences for dying, and it works well on a smaller map with one game objective. The idea I've suggested would allow for larger maps. It would be possible for an entire side to be wiped out as in S&D but it would also be possible to bring a team back to full strength. There would be 2 ways to get the squad back to strength 1 in advancement and 1 in retreat. If an entire squad got wiped out it would make the opposing team's victory that much easier so working together would be much more important than going for individual glory.

This would limit respawns, the respawns would place reinforcements back close to their squad, tactical decisions would need to be made whether to fall back or advance to gain back the squad member. The wrong decision could wipe a squad out completely.

Upvote 0
I think proximity communication could really help band a smaller unit together and pave the way for more cohesive organization and squads.

I also think that a Platoon leader should be able to talk to various squad leaders and the squad leaders themselves can pass down the orders to the regular soldiers. It would be like a real chain of command. However, we should not forget about autonomy within the lower units since they ultimately have control over and define their own situation.

Anyways, I think some of your suggestions are very thoughtful and good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

there is a very good way to make people afraid of death, nobody likes sitting out for a period of time. go check games like ARMA even though you respawn your so far away from where you fighting that your basically out of that battle for atleast the next 5 minutes (depends on whether youve got somone doing chopper duty).

At the original poster, the effects of being shot at should be modeled realistically, the snap of a closely passing bullet, very little if any blur. not the game deciding that as a few bullets pas by you, you are now completely blurred from seeing anything.

IF anything could be done to enhance coesiveness and teamwork, think of it this way military basic training takes a while and you learn many things, find a way to get everyone to know the important stuff so they can work together and use the same termanology. IE loading screens would portray military formations (wedge, line, V, colum, stagered column ETC), how they work, strengths weaknesses, and the commands that go with them.

Upvote 0
IF anything could be done to enhance coesiveness and teamwork, think of it this way military basic training takes a while and you learn many things, find a way to get everyone to know the important stuff so they can work together and use the same termanology. IE loading screens would portray military formations (wedge, line, V, colum, stagered column ETC), how they work, strengths weaknesses, and the commands that go with them.
Sorry but that doesn't work.

Best way to have people working as squads is the way PR does it:

1) Blurriness suppression system (if you're getting shot at by three/four people you HAVE to duck behind cover because you will NOT be able to get an accurate shot off) --- you can argue all you want that "bluriness is unrealistic" but it's the best way I've ever seen of making people act as if they fear death. If you can't see to aim, you're going to get behind cover. Simple
2) Good squad VOIP system
3) Well adminned servers.

Upvote 0