• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Port Forwarding? Are you f*cking kidding?

ScreamSin

May 15, 2009
Does anyone else wanna call Bullsh*t that we have to manually open several ports just to play a game online that was made for online gaming?

I shouldn't have to manually edit things just to play a game I spent money on. Don't you think this bullsh*t should have been through through before it was released?

What I would like to know is if it'll be fixed in the future like, you know, a good game would have been when released, or if the only way to play with my friends is to screw around with my ports manually?

Reactions: Lucky_Fr4gg3r
Does anyone else wanna call Bullsh*t that we have to manually open several ports just to play a game online that was made for online gaming?

I shouldn't have to manually edit things just to play a game I spent money on. Don't you think this bullsh*t should have been through through before it was released?

What I would like to know is if it'll be fixed in the future like, you know, a good game would have been when released, or if the only way to play with my friends is to screw around with my ports manually?

Every PC game ever needs Ports Open on a router to work at it's fastest / best. You simply haven't noticed over the years. If you have a Router, port-forwarding is a must for any game, it explains why you'd get lag / choke / loss, ct.

Upvote 0

YOU MUST BE JOKING. :DDDDD
So what are you saying that game should create backdoor (Troijan) to your computer that you can host silly server.
If you cannot open the ports from your router and you come here to whine about it i would say your age is 10-13.. This game is rated for M = mature (age of 18) So you need to un-instal killing floor right now.
Have a good day sonny.

Upvote 0
Honestly the only thing you have to open ports for is server hosting. Even then it doesn't take long once you figure out how to set up a static ip. http://portforward.com/ is actually really awesome. Walks you thru how to setup a static ip and how to forward the ports for most games and on specfic routers. You could also just go ahead and setup your computer for dmz which eliminates the need to port forwarding but exposes your computer.

Or you could just eliminate your router out of the equation and be happy ^_^ after all then you won't be troubled with forwarding ports. Because no matter what you do you adding a router is like welding a door in the game it needs to have a clear path to work its best.

Upvote 0
So what you're saying is that the game should automatically connect to your router and configure it, no matter what make or model it is?

Yeah, go to hell.

Thats a little hard of you.

I have not found it necessary to open "ports" just to play the game.
What I did notice was that this is one of the few (Steam games) if not the only, that has not asked my FW to authorize access.

Setting up a server is another story.

Upvote 0
As some have said, there is a difference between port forwarding, and opening ports on your software firewall.

One may be necessary to play the game [opening ports on the firewall], the other is not unless you are running a server [forwarding ports on the router].

Well, Valve uses the same ports for all their games...so besides that, if you don't play any Steam games that aren't Valve operated, you'd need to open ports for best performance.

Those who complain about L4D's lag? Open Ports. Also, the netcode of Source is sexy, I just saw a post calling it the worst netcode ever and I am truly disgusted.

Upvote 0