• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Protection Fault! Doesn't detect my video card

John845

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2006
Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2174 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: No Video

General protection fault!

History: FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

This is what I'm getting every time I try to launch Killing Floor. I have installed the latest Direct X and the official ATI Drivers. I'm thinking of switching to the latest Omega Drivers later to see if works with those. My graphics card is a Radeon X850 AGP. I get the exact same error on Red Orchestra, so it is a game engine issue. Apparently it isn't detecting my video card for some reason.

I have also deleted my .ini folder, deleted the system folder, verified the integrity of the game cache, changed the resolution, I also did what Yoshiro suggested in this topic:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30754

Nothing works.

You could either try the latest drivers and directx revision (and manually edit your killingfloor.ini and disable motionblur, bloom and anti aliasing), or the following.

[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

and change it to

[Engine.Engine]
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've switched to the Omega Drivers, still same error. The game just won't detect my ****ing video card. :mad:

I've played Red Orchestra on this PC in the past before, as well as UTK4, so I KNOW the game engine will run on my pc.

I have also done this but won't work:

[Engine.Engine]
RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
;RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

and change it to

[Engine.Engine]
;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok I closed some programs but this is what I have running in the background this exact moment, and the game still crashes. I'm not even sure what some of this is to be honest.

AppleMobileDevice.exe
Firefox.exe
Steam.exe
taskmgr.exe
notepad.exe
NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
NMIndexingService.exe
NMBgMonitor.exe
ctfmon.exe
atiptaxx.exe
jusched.exe
svchost.exe
DMXLauncher.exe
NvMixerTray.exe
shwicon2k.exe
zHotkey.exe
alg.exe
spoolsv.exe
aawservice.exe
explorer.exe
ati2evxx.exe
MsPMSPSv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
slserv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
ati2evxx.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
jqs.exe
mDNSResponder.exe
svchost.exe
System
System Idle Process

Upvote 0
Ok well I experimented a bit. To see if it had anything to do with the killingfloor.ini file... I would delete entire sections from it and save the file. I would then try loading killing floor and I would get the same exact error. I kept deleting more and more from the killingfloor.ini and the same error would occur. Eventually I deleted all the text inside the killingfloor.ini and it was blank, then I tried loading the game and the same error again. After loading the game with a blank killingfloor.ini some text shows up inside it, with something interesting I thought.

[UnrealGame.DeathMatch]
RestartWait=10

[Engine.GameInfo]
GameDifficulty=2.000000

[KFMod.KFGameType]
KFGameLength=1

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
UplinkToGamespy=True

[ROFirstRun]
ROFirstRun=1085

[Engine.Engine]
Language=int
DetectedVideoMemory=256

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
Bloom=False
TextureDetailInterface=Higher
TextureDetailTerrain=Higher
TextureDetailWeaponSkin=Higher
TextureDetailPlayerSkin=Higher
TextureDetailWorld=Higher
TextureDetailRenderMap=Higher
TextureDetailLightmap=Higher

[Engine.LevelInfo]
bShouldPreload=True
bDesireSkinPreload=True

I bolded what I found interesting. I'm assuming "DetectedVideoMemory=256" means something to do with my graphics card. If thats the case, then the game IS detecting it somehow, but it eventually stops detecting it when it gets near to loading. My error says "Video: No Video" so it supports my theory that the game is indeed detecting the card, but fails at a certain point in the loading process. Hope this helps somehow in finding out whats wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New test. So I have discovered that it has nothing to do with my graphics card or graphics card drivers being out of date or interfering with each other. Also, just for notice, I've used about 4 different graphics card drivers since this whole Killing Floor issue to see if had anything to do with drivers. On every different driver install Left 4 Dead still worked perfectly normal, as every other single game. Anyways, back to what I did. I uninstalled my graphics card drivers entirely, and went into safe mode and removed every single trace of any remaining driver files related to the graphics card. So the computer was completely clean from drivers. So I went back into normal windows and booted up steam. I then attempted to launch Killing Floor once more, and again same exact error. So it has nothing to do with my graphics card... what else can it be? I can't format my computer to start fresh, too many files on it, and when every other game I own works perfectly fine, whats the point of doing it over one game? Anyways, this narrows the issue down even further I believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey John, is there any way for you to get a hold of another video card to test with? Because it could still be the video card, but not the video card drivers. We tested ATI graphics cards, but we did not test an X series, I don't believe. We tested multiple 4870s and a 4850 for sure.

It could also be something that's NOT in your INI that's causing it. Such as the game trying to turn on some particular setting by default, when in fact it needs to be off on your machine.

Upvote 0
John do you happen to be trying to play on a laptop? Most likely not.. but I am, and I am having the exact same problem, no video detected. Before I only thought this issue was with laptop users but it may not be the case. I've been following this thread looking for some results. When I load up a freshly installed gamed there is usually something that asks me which card I wish to use, but there was not any for this game. I believe having that option would fix the whole issue..

Upvote 0
Ah, I could test on another pc but that would defeat the purpose. I unfortunately don't have any extra cards that I can use right now, but I'll see what I can do. Do you guys have any patches planned though? There are other people with more advanced ati cards than me but have the same exact issue. So maybe if the bug fix works for those cards, it might work for the older models (my card).

Edit: Ironman I'm not on a laptop no.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mmm

mmm

ok im not a dev , and as long as i know about system engines im near a complete idiot (until we speak about animations , modelling , texturing , and sounds) , but between all this "general protection fault" i've noticed something common ....

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=31387

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=31605

yep
ram... i mean , and if the game itself doesnt recognize ram chips? or stick as i call ? ex:

the kmixer.sys , can be a problem of "heat" of the ram itself , most of if they're of a bad mark ... and if you consider that we (italians) are tasting more than 30

Last edited:
Upvote 0