• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German versions of violent games

Steam is by default 18+ as in you need to own a creditcard or something similar.

Wrong..

1. You can have a creditcard even if you are not of full age

2. The german goverment set rules in place how an online age verification has to work. Entering a CC number is not a accepted way of age verification because as mentioned above: You don't need to be of full age to own a creditcard.

Upvote 0
Someone posted interesting informations in the KF-Forum on steam:

Ok, I searched some hours in the net and the german laws.

As far as I found out the USK is not responsible for KF (as some others already said) as this game is only distributed online.

The law for the protection of the youth (Jugendschutzgesetz = JuSchG) only talks about games on a carrier medium (Tr

Upvote 0
Here's my thoughts on the matter... bearing in mind I'm biased as I don't live in Germany ;)

Make the uncut version available on Steam only to German fans. If you cut anything, you're ripping fans off.

This might not be possible, but maybe sell uncut german language boxed versions from your website or on Amazon for normal price plus international postage? That way everyone's happy!

If a gamer in Germany wants to play the game, they'll find a way to get hold of it. Buying online is easier than buying a box in the shops anyway.

It's unfair of the German government to impose such regulations on their taxpaying gaming citizens, and by cutting the game you're condoning their actions.

So my vote is. Don't cut it at all, but make it as easy as possible for the German population to buy the uncut version by 'other means'.

Upvote 0
Make the uncut version available on Steam only to German fans. If you cut anything, you're ripping fans off.
[...]

It's unfair of the German government to impose such regulations on their taxpaying gaming citizens, and by cutting the game you're condoning their actions. So my vote is. Don't cut it at all, but make it as easy as possible for the German population to buy the uncut version by 'other means'.

Amen. :D

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
No official release in german would do the job everyone can get it over steam if killingfloor get no boxed version in germany they cant index it.....
The german index can only forbid cut or change games which are sold in german stores.

Its really retarted to cut every game only because shopkeepers in germany cant do a f****** pass control on 16 year old kids im old enough and i wanna play it uncut :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No official release in german would do the job everyone can get it over steam if killingfloor get no boxed version in germany they cant index it.....
The german index can only forbid cut or change games which are sold in german stores.

No. Why does EVERYONE think that ?
You can't just go onto a proxy and buy what you want.
Steam checks your IP, Billingadress in Steam AND Paypal / Creditcard / Click and Buy / what ever AND!!! from your bank you use on PP, CC, C&B, etc.

So you can not just buy what you want.

Same is with red orchestra.
In germany you only get the castrated version, retail and over steam.

Its really retarted to cut every game only because shopkeepers in germany cant do a f****** pass control on 16 year old kids im old enough and i wanna play it uncut :(
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the shopkeepers.
It's law in germany to forbid games that are too hard, or set them on an index to forbid the advertising for that game in germany.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yea but i bought it allready :(

i know another way to get things uncut i did it on left 4 dead...now every game i got on steam is uncut but it sux i have to do **** like that only because i live in germany

I dont understand that cutting **** some games they dont even cut (like dead space) and some they just cut to death wtf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the shopkeepers.
It's law in germany to forbid games that are too hard, or set them on an index to forbid the advertising for that game in germany.

Well it has some kind to do with it because the usk of germany consist that any commercial or open sale is forbidden of indexed games and they sharpened it because ppl who are not 18 buying indexed games.

Upvote 0
Listen. It all goes back 60-70 years, and people being afraid of Germans bloodlust. That's why such stupid things are done. :p
bloodlust wow ...... i just dont wanna play castrated games.... im cute like hell in real life :p

why playing shootergames without blood ^^ its the same as u would look saw in cinema and dont see any traps

Last edited:
Upvote 0