• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some suggestions for Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

The_Emperor

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2009
Milkyway
Hello dear Tripwire Team and other Red Orchestra Fellas.

Here some suggestions for Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad.

1.Leaning

I know this is yet in RO: Ostfront. But I noticed when shooting a rifle in this position it made me fly to the floor, my shoulder was aching like hell and I've missed the bucket I was aiming for. I redid this with aiming like the rifle horizontally and leaning not that much out and I wasn't slapped away and I hit the bucket.
So if you get a horizontal leaning in it's way more realistic.

2. Rolling over on the floor

When doing these test with some friends of mine, we tried out how'd be to rollout of cover in prone stance with a rifle in your hands and hell yeah it's working. You are behind cover and you roll out, aim, fire and roll over back in cover to rebolt. This is awesome.
Now I thought this would remove the leaning from the prone stance. No not at all. You can leave the leaning to prone as well, but you just need another keyboard combo, I was thinking of "shift + Q/E".

3. Full Body in 1st person

Since I first grabbed a rifle and joined the fight for the Eastern Front in RO: Ostfront, I deeply wished I could see my own body and feet moving when looking down. This feature can be seen now in Crysis and hell it gives loads of atmosphere to the game!

Please implement that in RO: HOS

3a. Kicking enemy players

Since I've been playing Call of Duty (I know it's darn arcade :)) and I've seen some German soldiers kicking a Russian soldier to death I was saying to myself damn I wish I could do that as well. I guess it's really cool cause you don't need to bow down in order to bash him with your rifle too much. :)
How to get this on the keyboard? I was thinking about that also, and my soultion is the left "ctrl" key.

3b. Melee attacking with bolt-action rifles

I like to melee people of but there's a thing I don't really like about the Ostfront melee with the butt stock. It looks strange, could you get a standard melee like in Call of Duty back? You can still make it that you can load up the attack. But, my friends and me we've been trying to melee attack in several ways and we liked best the Call of Duty one. (No offence, I really like Ostfront) About loading up we tried to hold back the butt of the rifle more to the right so the swung from the right side was a harder one.
But the most interesting thing I noticed was that Ostfront has a self-bolting. You know the thingy with the mouse button clicking to make it possible to meele attack after shooting. I can remember the RO 3.3 mod, what hell it sucked when you were caught in the rebolting animation. But then I was thinking and I found the solution in MoH Airborne.
When you're firing your bolt-rifle and you want to melee attack directly after you are able to interrupt the rebolt animation. Darn awesome! :)

3c. Melee attacking with bolt-action rifles while attaching the bayonet

We used a Kar98k for our tests, we even got a bayonet for it. So we said let's make up a bad but realistic situation. You're running around and attaching your bayonet and then a Russian coming around the corner and what now?? We said, well you've your bayonet in the left hand, you should be able to make a slash or stab attack. We checked this if it's possible and how fierce you can attack with your rifle still in your right hand. We used a sandbag, one held in front of himself and another was about attaching his bayonet and he stabbed the sandbag. He really gave him a good scratch ;)

Include that please! :)

3d. Melee attacking while reloading

Another really annoying situation, you're reloading and you're attacked in close quarters. In RO Ostfront you only can watch you getting stabbed.
Be honest lads, you'd never wait and watch in reality, would ya? ;)
So we said what about you melee attack right in the middle of reloading. We tried out with the rifle and it's nothing bad, it's working and it's realistic!

Include that please! :)

4a. Throwing back grenades

You all know that case when you're on the hunt for the enemy and then such a ****load of frag grenade is flying in your direction and it's landing right in front of you. So close that you can read the information on the potatomasher. And you are getting killed cause you can't throw back the evil egg!
I've been thinking of how to get this done with mouse/keyboard and I thought let them pick up the nade with "use" and when he releases the "use" key the grenade is thrown.
Please, please make it possible to throw back grenades!

4b. Damage enemies with grenades

I know headline sounds weird, but I don't know how to write different.
I'm not talking about killing them by the explosion nor by melee attacking with the grenade. I noticed that when I'm throwing a potatomasher at a Russian soldier that the grenade is flying through the model. Wouldn't it be more realistic that when I'm throwing the grenade into his face he's knocked out? Or at least heavily injured?

Please include that :)

5. Terminator Attack Dog class

Sounds weird once more but I thought how about a real innovation?
What about giving a player the ability to play as an attack dog?
Sure there are some who say a how stupid, you can't attack on long distances. Well yes, but in close quarters you're the king!

The basic thing a dog attacks with is his teeth, but how about the abilty to punch enemy human players on the ground in order to bite their throat?
Also to get a closer teamplay, dogs normally have a very good smell sense.
But how the hell to get this on the computer?
I've been thinking by hard about that. And I thought "Hell ya! How about showing the trails of enemy players to the dog for some time?"
So he's able to sneak up on enemy players, would be awesome especially on guarding missions and on dark maps.

So let's recall it once:

- no long range attacking
- no weapon usage
+ sharp teeth
+ infinite stamina (dogs are really good at running distances)
+ punching down human players
+ Dong Vision (you can see enemy players' trails)

The Terminator attack dog should be selectable like a weapon class.
Here an example:

Gruppenf

Stabbing the sandbag with a bayo sounded dangerous.

Please excuse that nobody was willing to get himself slipped open for this testing :D :D

Also, Terminator Attack Dog Class, there is no way RO:HOS is coming out without it.

Nah, it'd be a real improvement, have you imagined the teamplay fun? You as a dog can make the hiding enemies visible for your team mates.

I'd love to see that in action. And like yet said it's in no other game I know. Sure it needs a different style of gaming to be good but I've been asking some other gamers meanwhile and they said this'd be kinda cool.

I believe tripwire should give it a go. If it's not working remove it again later on. But you don't know yet cause such a dog class was never present in any FPS. You needa test it :)

1st person body awareness would be a boon.

Yep, can't say better. TWI please do that!

Upvote 0
Terminator attack dogs? Get real.:rolleyes:

And persoanly I would say you can lean in prone, its not so much leaning as making a sort of S shape of your body, to expose the minimum of your body and leave your legs in cover.

Now that is possible, but Tripwire will have to make appropriate animations and that is not so simple.

If you look at how soldiers lean in prone position in RO:OST it looks like their backs are broken in multiple places.

Upvote 0
You cannot and there is no point trying to. I know RO:OST confused you about what is possible and what is not.

excuse me and this is not mendt offensive... but how much do you weight?

because i can PERFECTLY lean whilst beeing prone
now stop spreading roumors about this isnt possible

it IS easy and possible

the only way i can see you not beeing able to lean whilst beeing prone is that you are either a disabled person or weight in at around 300 lb o_O

please do youself a favour and try leaning whilst prone before making a jack outa youself here

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have you ever played ro befor??? players are commming at you strafing to avoid being shot playercontrolled dogs would do the same, strafe at you.... a real dog would never do that. thats the problem with playercontroled dogs....
AI dogs would be a better solution(see CoD5).
but i dont like the dog idea anyway because Ro should stay a EgoSHOOTER and not a EgoSHOOTER/DogHuntSIMULATOR/DogSIMULATOR...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you're simply afraid that you can't shoot the dog in time before it gets to close?

CoD 5 dogs don't need to strafe, they take too many shots to get killed anyway.

As I stated right from the start, let's try it out and later if it's not working you can easily patch it away.
This is like when you notice a weapon is too strong and you patch it in order to balance it.

I can remember the discussion about the IS-2 in the mod days. The Panther was yet very strong and now the got in an even more evil steel beast. At least the community accepted the monster.

So let's don't bash off each others head about it, simply see what gameplay will tell. :)

Upvote 0