• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Official First Statement on Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Uhh, How does FPS cover system actually work? Isn't it concidered taking cover when you go behind things when you're being shot?

Hell, even the first doom had a cover system
No what it means is that you can "hug" walls like a soldier would do in real life. It also means that you'll be able to blind fire over objects, and it just adds to that visceral feeling of "being there".

I don't think I'm worried that RO will suddenly turn into Gears of War any time soon, if that's what you mean by a modern FPS. I think Tripwire is smart enough to know that their fans want RO - and RO is none of those things that makes games mainstream.

If it IS mainstream, they're going to get a butchering by their fans anyway!

Upvote 0
I think any sort of suppression would get annoying after a while, whats wrong with the way RO was to begin with? Seems like TWI is going overboard for the nubs who don't want to learn to use the game. (as stated with the learning curve in the article)

How does adding suppression "nub" up the game?

It's something they tried to add to RO, unfortunately a lot of people, especially with cheaper graphics card, could turn off the blur and just have the blackened screen that doesn't work as well as the blur.

Suppression, imo, is more of a RO quality. RO is a game designed around "preserving" your "lives," not throwing them away (except on the occasional necessary charges). Depending on how this supp-system works it could greatly improve the game. Perhaps make the MG class more viable as an MG instead of a deployed sniper rifle where you have to look out for any pixel-sized ordinary riflemen who will destroy you easily!

Upvote 0
How does adding suppression "nub" up the game?

It's something they tried to add to RO, unfortunately a lot of people, especially with cheaper graphics card, could turn off the blur and just have the blackened screen that doesn't work as well as the blur.

Suppression, imo, is more of a RO quality. RO is a game designed around "preserving" your "lives," not throwing them away (except on the occasional necessary charges). Depending on how this supp-system works it could greatly improve the game. Perhaps make the MG class more viable as an MG instead of a deployed sniper rifle where you have to look out for any pixel-sized ordinary riflemen who will destroy you easily!

Wait till DH is out guys, then you will know ALL about suppression.

Upvote 0
The cover system thing worries me a lot. A lot.

Gears of War? No thanks.

Hope they implement it well. I hope it just means they increase bluriness or make the gun shake or something. They need to bring it to the level of PR (which is probably the only game where people really act like they're afraid of death)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The cover system thing worries me a lot. A lot.

Gears of War? No thanks.

Hope they implement it well. I hope it just means they increase bluriness or make the gun shake or something. They need to bring it to the level of PR (which is probably the only game where people really act like they're afraid of death)
I don't think there's too much to worry about it. As long as it's subtle I think it will be fine.

When I think of a "first person cover system" I just think of being able to hug to walls and such to get a better idea of your relation to your environment. Besides it allows for cool features like blind fire, etc.

Upvote 0
I hope the cover happens in the background, with no cover key.
Much like weapon resting does.
Like just being near a wall, possibly holding your walk key, should make you hug it.

An "action" button will cheese up the game imo.

I'd prefer a game with button-activated cover. The last game I played where cover happened automatically like that was Kane and Lynch. That cover system was awful and terrible.

There's nothing wrong with a cover system. I'm pretty sure people in World War 2 utilized cover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know what to think until I've actually played the game.... more than once.
The first time I played RO I never liked it at all but that changed.;)
Though I'm not that interested in a cover system the one thing I do hope for is to be able to climb over a 2 foot brick wall. It's the only thing that bothers me in RO. I'm not sure if you'd actually call this mantling,(I don't think so) but it seems you should be able to get over such a low barrier. Some guys have said that it's not that easy with a heavy pack on your back but then I think well, I shouldn't be able to run as fast as I can then either or what about classes that don't carry all that much equipment? Why can't they jump over a small wall then.
Maybe it's the game engine or something like that. I don't know anything about that stuff but it sure would be nice to be able to do that.
What do you guys think about that?

Upvote 0