• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Burglary foiled with Mosin Nagant!

So I haven't been around much for the past ... well, a long while. Been working 6 or 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day, accumulating money to buy nice things for subhumans to steal.

Well, in the past three weeks, my house has been successfully broken into twice while I and my wife have been at work. Among the things stolen:

1 EeePC 1000HE (brand new)
1 WD MyPAssport 500GB (brand new)
1 32" LCD HDTV (brand ... you getting a trend here?)
1 Acer 15.4" laptop (yep, just like the others)

My PS2, all the games, all my DVD movies, my wife's digital camera ... etc.

But the thing I was most pissed about: a BRAND NEW Sig-Sauer 1911, stainless, with the rail, night sights, and a laser / flashlight combo on the rail.

Dumbasses came back for round 3 today.

But I'd parked the car at a friendly neighbor's house. And opened up the bedroom windows. Loaded up my Mosin M44, fixed the bayonet, and sat in the second bedroom.

About 14:30, I heard the bedroom door open, and footsteps in the hallway. I waited about 15 seconds - that should have been enough time for him to get into the living room, and he'd have had no way out - all the windows are closed and locked, and I'd set both deadbolts on the front door.

BUT the sonofa***** paused in the hallway, so when I kicked the second bedroom door open, he was still right by the master door. He turned, and -BAM- was out that window again. I called the cops, but they couldn't find him - a Mexican with a buzz-cut blends in pretty well to the scenery in California.

He was facing me when I opened the door, but couldn't get the rifle up before he turned. If he'd been slower to turn, it would have been a righteous shoot, but not in the back.

So, it was a good day ... and a bad day. Worse for him than for me, I think. Bayonets do seem to have a good intimidation factor.

100% stress man...

Do you reckon it was the same guy that came back again and again?

It could easilly be, but it could also be buddies of his that heard there was nice things to be had there.

But aye, i don't think this guy is coming back anytime soon, or any buddies of his, no doubt he has told the story of his narrow escape and the crazy guy with the rifle that kicked down a door and charged after him ;)

I have a slightly similar story that happened to a guy i know, i know him from playing Airsoft, and that evening he had been servicing all his guns on the sofa table, cleaning them, giving them fresh lubricant and the usual, and then he fell asleep on the sofa watching TV with all his guns still lying there.

A little later, two blokes have crawled up the fire escape and open his window, as they crawl in he wakes up, still half asleep he sits up in the sofa and loudly mumbles something incoherent, and thease two would be burglars take one look at him, and then at the sofa table and see 3 assault rifles, 2 pistols, a grenadelauncher and a shotgun lying there next to him.. one of them yells "****!! WRONG HOUSE!!" and they vanished plenty quick, they must have thought they had broken into a Hells Angels safehouse or something :D

Upvote 0
I don't think you need worry, if it where some gang then yeah, that'd be a concearn, but gangs are usually not into petty burglary, there's not enough money in it compared to drugs.

People tend to become burglars because its easy, and low risk, it is very doubtfull they will come looking for a gunfight, and that .45 of yours has probably allready been sold.

Upvote 0
I don't think you need worry, if it where some gang then yeah, that'd be a concearn, but gangs are usually not into petty burglary, there's not enough money in it compared to drugs.

People tend to become burglars because its easy, and low risk, it is very doubtfull they will come looking for a gunfight, and that .45 of yours has probably allready been sold.

You're destroying my illusions here, Grobut. I'm trying to be in what 'a reasonable person' would define as 'fear for my life,' so that when / if he (or one of his friends) comes back, I can just shoot first and not bother asking questions at all.

I'm leaving my windows open for him again today.

Also, he's been out and about today already - one of the neighbors saw him walking down the alleys, scoping out houses, checking behind to see if he was being followed. They called the cops, but didn't find the guy.

I think he lives right around the block from me, somewhere. Just not quite sure -where- ...

Today I think I'm going to use the .22 ... it doesn't have a bayonet, but it -does- have 10+1 rounds, and inside the house I'm pretty confident in my ability to get all 11 rounds in center mass. Or maybe just a couple of kneecaps, pour encourager les autres, as it were.

(Oh, and the .22 probably isn't going to go through the next three houses down, after leaving his body, because it's not loaded with light AP rounds. :D )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
(Oh, and the .22 probably isn't going to go through the next three houses down, after leaving his body, because it's not loaded with light AP rounds. :D )

I was wondering about that with the M44, but considering your situation, I was politely refraining from commenting...

Get one of the 550rd bricks of HP .22lr from WalMart, and a few of those should work just fine in the kneecaps, face, chest, et cetera and so forth.

Works for the Mossad pretty well, and them buggers know what they're doing.

Upvote 0
Is there a point you reach when you deliberately entice a burgular into your house, with the pre-planned intention of shooting them when they do, where you can actually get in a teeny bit of bother, out of interest?

Well, if I'm in my own house, and there's an intruder in there, then he is by definition there to do me harm.

18Bravo said:
I guess shotguns have gone the by the wayside for home defence now? Used to, the *Click* *Clack* sound of the pump of a shotgun was the worst sound a burgler could hear. I guess seeing a bayonet or just a large metal spike on the end of a rifle pointed in their direction is the worst they can see.

Shotgun would have been great. I don't have one of those, unfortunately. :p

Upvote 0
It sucks to hear of your problems, but excuse me if i roll on the floor laughing at the idea of some gangsta wannabe being chased by an angry man with an old Mosin with a fixed bayonet :D
That really cracked me up:)

That'd be even more hilarious with M1891\30 with a bayonet attached.

You could stop the guy from the other side of a river just by poking gently, presuming you would have to poke someone with that lance :D

Upvote 0