• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

To hide obvious shortcomings of the engine?

About ArmA II and woods: They may look great, but come on, it's pretty obvious (especially considering BIS record so far) that these are the special not-going-to-run-on-your-rig-anyways settings. They always dust these off for their game convention videos and trailers, but only a few players with the willingness to pay that much more will be able to run these. The rest of us will again have to live with pop-up trees and framerate drops.
idk...

The game demands at least Shader Model 3.0 hardware. And GPU's with SM3.0 support are already pretty strong graphics cards.
We're talking about the GeForce 6 series, ATI X1k series and higher. (not including crappy IGPs)
I assume that tree rendering is done through HLSL exclusively, similar to SpeedTree.

Upvote 0
Arma 1 is an upgraded OFP engine, Arma 2 is an upgraded Arma 1 engine. It's not a completely new engine at all, it's just had a fairly big overhaul. I predict it will run just as shoddy as Arma 1 did.

don't forget that ArmA is Reality Engine v3 :)

also don't mismatch old OFP:CWC/R VR1 engine prior OFP:Elite which introduced terrain streaming and several other major changes ...

not to mention this is like saying oh wait ...
Unreal Engine 3.5 is in fact evolution of Unreal engine 1.x so it must be sucky :)

it's evolution of engine like Epic, Valve, ID and several other major studios do ...

Upvote 0
linda-pic02.jpg

Upvote 0
Do you think one of you guys could start an Arma 2 thread - or phaps post in the arma2 vs OFP2 thread?

I'd start a thread myself but while I am interested in the speculation of others, as someone who will see how both games pan out before purchasing , I wont be contributing opinions and getting suitibly involved.

However, I would like post/read/get information about Arma : Armed assault-
but feel i'd be interupting discussions about an unrealeased game, for which i believe there should be a separate thread. Am i wrong?

Upvote 0
So I finally purchased ArmA Gold yesterday and started the main campaign. I have to say sometimes it is very frustrating. For example, the aux mission where one is a sniper on the water tower, good times… yet not so much. I had to do that mission several times.

First off the modded M4 one has is not the best for sniping, at the same time it is not that easy to hit someone even though your crosshair in your scope are right on them. And at times it takes 2-4 hits to take someone down.Do I just suck or...?

Now I am doing the AT Aux mission where one has to destroy the enemy armor in the camp and get the secret documents. I didn’t have many problems with taking out the armor, but trying to get the documents is a pain.

I mean it is pitch black dark yet the enemy, wearing no NVGs can see me without me firing of a round. If I am crawling and suddenly get up still some 200m from their position they start firing. A little ridiculous if you ask me. They have MG nests around that camp, I’ve tried sneaking, I’ve tried using my AT weapon to take them out, which doesn’t work, I am at a loss.

But in the end, I do like the game…

I do have a question, or a few of them. What mods would you guys recommend? I been looking at some mods, but I am not sure as to which ones are the most wildly used, or which ones are the better quality mods.
So far I found this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3121http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3121
And this: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2909http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2909

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Thanks! I got the ACE mod, seems as that is a great mod and prefered by a lot of the people in the community.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this here if any of you came across this problem.

I am in the main campaign, I am on the mission where you go into the town and setup an ambush for the convoy about to come through. You can get satchel charges and mines from the truck parked next to the church.

So I setup mines and satchels in the town, I get the call from the scout saying he spotted the convoy. But they never come... I can look through my binocolours and see them sitting a distance away, but doing nothing.

They haven't spotted me, the convoy sits there, I waited for 30min and they sat there. I am guessing it is a bug. I tried doing the mission several time from the beginning and same thing happens each time.

I am not sure what else to do here... any thoughts?

No there was the first time I played it and couldn't find the ammo cache, so I just waited, so no booby traps laid. The convoy came through then, but I of course died.

So I wonder if somehow me laying down the satchels and mines causes the convoy not to come through for some reason, which is weird.

Upvote 0
Yeah that is a known bug i believe, at least i heard about that happening multiple times, and i have experienced it myself as well.
In the end i got fed up and just ran out of the village and made an attack in the desert and blew the convoy up there.
I dont know if it is related to you placing stuff around though, i dont think this should have anything to do with it.

Upvote 0
Yeah that is a known bug i believe, at least i heard about that happening multiple times, and i have experienced it myself as well.
In the end i got fed up and just ran out of the village and made an attack in the desert and blew the convoy up there.
I dont know if it is related to you placing stuff around though, i dont think this should have anything to do with it.

That is such an annoying bug, ambushing that convoy in the village would be a spectacilur sight. I wonder if I try again if it will work... hmm.

Upvote 0
Yeah potential was really good, i even used cars to block off certain roads to make a killzone.
If i remember there was a T-junction, where i cut off both sides of the 'T' and placed a satchel at the entrance to the 'T'.
Blowing up the last vehicle trapped all the others inside, sometimes the satchel took another vehicle with it too. Then it's just a case of mopping up :) If it works, that is.

Upvote 0
Yeah potential was really good, i even used cars to block off certain roads to make a killzone.
If i remember there was a T-junction, where i cut off both sides of the 'T' and placed a satchel at the entrance to the 'T'.
Blowing up the last vehicle trapped all the others inside, sometimes the satchel took another vehicle with it too. Then it's just a case of mopping up :) If it works, that is.

Tried it again and got it to work. I didn't use time compression this time to speed up the proccess of walking to the town or to wait for the convoy.

And I know which intersection you are talking about. I went a little further and set a mine by the last house in the town past the intersection. Knowing the lead vehicle is a BMP. All the rest where satchels planted down, at the intersection and further back as well.

The convoy is spread out quite a distance, so I wanted to make sure none of the URAL trucks escaped, so the mine would go off when the lead BMP would run over letting me know to blow the charges.

I hid by the back of the village where the convoy enters, I hear the explosion from the BMP hitting the mine. I blow the charges, this takes out most of the convoy except the last BMP and a truck.

A HEAT round to the BMP takes it out and its crew, reload and take out the last truck.

I am not sure if this is ARMA itself or the ACE mod, but I love the secondary explosions from the BMPs or tanks. Does not happen each time, I only seen it a couple of times but it is very well done. Especially the debris during the explosion flying all over the place, pieces of the hull and turret flying high up into the air, just wow!

Now I am on the spec ops mission the kill all the soldiers in the town who have been harresing the population. Again came across a bug... I killed everyone and the mission will not progress.

I kill all the enemy soldiers, meet up with the second group, enter the town to kill the remaining soldiers and nothing happens... ugh.

Upvote 0
Those secondary explosions are thanks to the ACE mod :)

Tbh almost every mission that comes with ArmA is pretty ****ty, considering most are really unrealisticly set up, like the lone ranger ambushing an entire convoy etc.
Some of the last missions in the campaign are really enjoyable though, and are of the scale we are used to from Operation Flashpoint, combining lots of infantry, tanks and helicopters in a huge area of operations.
You just have to have the patience to get there i suppose, but there are user-made campaigns available that are way, way better. And they dont have the craptastic bugs either.

Upvote 0