• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

I think something where ArmA2 is really in front of OFP2 is the terrain. If I look at any OFP2 videos(techdemos or gameplay) there's no real forests and villages don't really look too real either. ArmA2 on the other hand seems to have a bit of balkan-flair plus from what I've seen forests look really great. Most important thing about forests imo is that you really kinda feel that you're not out in the open anymore but in a completely different area. If I remember OFP1 for example, if you were in the middle of a forest you could really feel the silence and it felt like you were somewhere completely different. Much of that atmosphere is created by the density of trees, because in a real forest it's much darker than outside due to the trees blocking the light to some extend. OFP1 did that quite well and looks like ArmA2 will handle forests even better.

Upvote 0
Furthermore, I suspect that Operation Flashpoint 2 may be the slicker of the two products. Even at this early stage of development, there’s a certain kind of confident presentation here that ArmA 2 lacks. The graphics are a little more stylised, and even though the build I played used a lot of placeholder audio, the vocal work sounded emotive and high quality. Codemasters has a lot more experience than Bohemia when it comes to dealing with a wide gaming audience, and it's made some wise moves. One key example is the way difficulty is being handled: on easier settings, the game’s AI and mechanics will remain the same, but the player will be given more visual information about what’s going on – there’ll even be a compass-like indicator to show the locations of enemy forces. Little aids like these may be shrugged off by the elite, but they could make all the difference when it comes to attracting casual gamers. Needless to say, we’ll be keeping a close eye on both projects as 2009 rolls on.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/operation_flashpoint_2/preview-1599.html

fail

206100.operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-per-xbox-360.img.jpg

206099.operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-per-xbox-360.img.jpg

206101.operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-per-xbox-360.img.jpg

206102.operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-per-xbox-360.img.jpg

Notice the huge drawdistance of the grass, the cool grain effect and the high amounts of AA used.

Upvote 0
I think something where ArmA2 is really in front of OFP2 is the terrain. If I look at any OFP2 videos(techdemos or gameplay) there's no real forests and villages don't really look too real either. ArmA2 on the other hand seems to have a bit of balkan-flair plus from what I've seen forests look really great. Most important thing about forests imo is that you really kinda feel that you're not out in the open anymore but in a completely different area. If I remember OFP1 for example, if you were in the middle of a forest you could really feel the silence and it felt like you were somewhere completely different. Much of that atmosphere is created by the density of trees, because in a real forest it's much darker than outside due to the trees blocking the light to some extend. OFP1 did that quite well and looks like ArmA2 will handle forests even better.
Exactly, the forests in Operation Flashpoint are so believable and immersive, even without the ambient sounds...
I can almost smell the resin and pineapples.
But maybe I'm crazy 'cause I can almost smell burnt rubber and gas when I'm playing Live for Speed or GTR Evolution... :D

The only games which comes somewhat close are Crysis and Oblivion, but that is more jungle like.
I'm pretty confident that Bohemia Interactive will give us that feeling again, this time trees will actually grow using L-systems algorithms and affected by seasons and wind.
fail

Notice the huge drawdistance of the grass, the cool grain effect and the high amounts of AA used.
I do like the minimalistic HUD where BI has definately gone off the chart though.

The environment looks very 2004-2005 (Battlefield 2-ish) though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To hide obvious shortcomings of the engine?

About ArmA II and woods: They may look great, but come on, it's pretty obvious (especially considering BIS record so far) that these are the special not-going-to-run-on-your-rig-anyways settings. They always dust these off for their game convention videos and trailers, but only a few players with the willingness to pay that much more will be able to run these. The rest of us will again have to live with pop-up trees and framerate drops.

Remember how abysmal ArmA ran on your average rig while looking half as detailed and tell me you think BIS has really optimized basically the same engine to such a degree that these screens and vids will represent what you will get.

Upvote 0