• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RPG System

Tolil

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2009
I know I'm gonna get a lot of flak here from some of the purists, but I also know there are alot of people who would like what I'm suggesting.

An RPG system. Kinda like a Battlefield/Call of Duty/etc type of thing, but I was thinking a little different too.
The basics: You get EXP for killing zombies and after you get enough EXP you gain a level, standard RPG stuff. When you level, you get skill points. There would be skills, and then there would be "traits". Skills would influence your game stats in a way. For example, the Pistols skill would affect damage and accuracy with pistols. At the end of the tree, there would be a trait, it could either be something that would be positive no matter what, or it could be something toggleable that would be helpful in certain situations, like increased fire speed. You would use it with pistol maybe, but you wouldn't want a super fast bullpup. Or you could make it exclusive to that class. The reason why I suggest this is because it would give a reward for sticking it out with a skill tree.
You would have stuff like small guns, big guns, melee weapons...etc.

Then you would have the other non-weapon related skills. There could be a tree called "Fitness" or "Endurance" that would increase damage resistance and health. There could be a skill that influences the amount of health that armour protects. You could have a trait that makes armour absorb 100% damage but the amount of damage the armour could take would be halved, and it would be toggleable at the beginning of the game/when dead between rounds. Of course, skill traits like this couldn't be switched out in game, that would be imbalanced.

Then you would have the traits. They could offer positives, and some could have negatives tagged on. Like, if the mod is going to have a weight system, you could have a trait that increases weight capacity. You could have a perk that increases the amount of health that your medical supplies heals, but on the other hand reduces med supply effectiveness on you, or decreases your health. You could have traits tailored towards certain enemies, like increased Bloat Bile resistance, or a trait that decreases the amount of rage you give a Fleshpound, allowing you to hit it with more damage before it berzerks. Naturally, traits would cost a good deal of SP, making it a good idea to balance skills and traits, and not to focus on getting lots of traits but no skill boosts. Some traits could also have multiple ranks.

Skills could also improve Perks. For example, if a perk gave damage resistance, it could boost that. Anyone can take a perk, but skills can help them fine tune what they want their character to be specialized in.

Finally, as a bonus to people who stick it out in the long run, I think a sort of "Call of Duty 4 prestige system" would work well. When you reach the max level, you would have lots of ranks in skills/traits that haven't been "purchased" per se. You could reset to level 1, but when you rank your way up in the end you would have more SP than what you had before. It wouldn't neccasarily have to be infinite, but it should be long enough to keep players going with some goal in the horizon.

Or alternatively, there could just be infinite levels.

I know a lot of this seems kind of radical compared to the normal KF, and it probobly wont get added to the final game for that very reason. But if you play 2.5, try out a RPG server. You get extra powers, and while it's unbalanced because the RPG code was built for normal UT2004, you should be able to see how, if this system was built from the ground up for KF, if everything was balanced for KF to be BALANCED for KF, then I think that everyone who plays on these RPG servers (quite a few), people looking for long term goals, and even those who shyed away from the imbalancing, would find this very fun. I do hope someone on the team considers some sort of RPG system, even if it's different from this system in large ways (I don't expect all of this to be followed even if such a system was done, even though I think it would be cool. :p)

Tired...going to sleep now. Some of it might not make sense since I haven't been getting much sleep and I just wanna get to sleep. :p
Any questions...post them here and I'll try and answer em. I think some of it might need clarifying....

Killing Floor is going to have traits with achievement-type requirements instead of XP requirements, I believe.

I do somewhat agree on skills. I think it'd be cool to not only have the support trait that lets me carry more and use big weapons, but also have a sub-perk or trait, whatever, to buff my health (which maybe has the requirement of first having the support perk.) But I think with things like +health, +speed, etc, there will be one that is clearly most useful, and they won't be balancable because it's the functionality that's good, not the actual numbers used.

Upvote 0
then after few days of playing and getting EXP you will be super person and kill all specimens alone. boring...

and I tried RPG server in KF2.5, it was on suicidal so if anyone joined in first time (even pro people) will get owned, except if you had speed skill makes you run fast and specimens will never reach to you.

so anynoob could win if he had these skills without tactical, and thats gay.

Upvote 0
yeah.. i had just joined the rpg server. It's bad. :/

I'd be cool with some sort of class like skill system without leveling, or you level quickly through the match. But too many options means too much time clicking buttons instead of shooting zombies.

Or let me put it this way:
I would like it if KF's perks are expanded. Like make getting support, medic, sniper perk easier to get, and add 3 sub-perks for each to further specialize.
I currently rather dislike the requirements that are there now..

Upvote 0
From the Voodoo Extreme Article:
A Persistent Perks system allows players to convert attained Steam Achievements into permanent per match ability upgrades for their character

You'll have to wait and see just how this plays out, but do know that we've thought long and hard about how this system should play out =)

Upvote 0
You guys don't understand though, RPG servers are overpowered cause they run UT2004RPG, which wasn't built for KF. If a system like that was built just for KF, then it would have to be balanced.

...and while it's unbalanced because the RPG code was built for normal UT2004, you should be able to see how, if this system was built from the ground up for KF, if everything was balanced for KF to be BALANCED for KF, then I think...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Im probably looking too deep into it but

Multiple medic perks perhaps? So much diversity would be awesome, to be able to fine tune your gaming style.
Yeah this is what I'd like.

First you get the medic perk.. And then you have like 3 perks with medic perk as a requirement.
And you can then get a perk that improves the healing, or one that like temporarily boosts people when healed like stim packs, or something else. :p So you can further specialize.

Upvote 0