• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

To the old KF players. Some questions :F

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
What do you think are the most important keypoints, why we should like this game?

And why did you end up playing what was your biggest attraction to the scene?

Can you explain some of the best games you've had on this game?

---
Just some generic info, so we get to know you guys a little bit better (feel free to make something similar to get to know us better ^^) as the general discussions in the public chat seem to be not so working.

What do you think are the most important keypoints, why we should like this game?

And why did you end up playing what was your biggest attraction to the scene?

Can you explain some of the best games you've had on this game?

---
Just some generic info, so we get to know you guys a little bit better (feel free to make something similar to get to know us better ^^) as the general discussions in the public chat seem to be not so working.
The atmosphere was amazing. There was loads of detail in every corner of the maps, oozing with blood and filth. It really felt like you were in an apocalypse. And the fact is was co-op with just a few team members made you feel more involved. The music for it was fantastic and drew you in.

I guess I'm just a sucker for zombies, but once I got into the mod, I met a lot of nice people and had a few great games. One of my favourite games was playing with some of the very old players(a very long time ago :p). Everything was tactical and everyone knew what they were doing. We had split up the team into snipers, close range shot gunners, and the faithful medics who'd patch everyone up. On Teamspeak there was lots of talking going on, and when the zombies finally broke through, we still managed to get out and stayed together. There was a few rounds where there was only one person left alive, and it was funny listening to everyone screaming on Teamspeak about where the zombies are, where the ammo is(Cries of "Wrong way!" echoed ^^). Finally we got to the last wave and managed to win. Of course, this was before KF 2.5 where things were much harder, but there was nothing more satisfying than the "You Survived" screen :)

My other attraction was the maps. People genuinely appreciated the art style and made some kick *** maps which became big hits.

I guess the last was that it was a small community. It's great when someone joins a server, and everyone knows him. I suppose everyone is a little worried that its going to become a little over-populated(like L4D) and it will lose the small community feel. However it's fantastic that Killing Floor has progressed this far, and I'm very excited for the full game :D

Upvote 0
Things i loved about KF:

1. FINALY a game set in the UK with BRITISH GUNS.
2. I love the gritty apmoshpere of the game, especily 2.5 added a whole new level of grittyness. But i have to say the most gritty version was 1.0. I reccomend that you go back to it for some texture girttyness ideas becasue the amount of apmoshpere was amazing.
3. The amount of team play that is required to win a game. 2.11 required some skill to win a game and teamwork, and now with 2.5 it is SOOOOO hard to win a game and requires soo much teamwork and organiseation its unbeliveable but i love it :D
4. The community is brilliant (i mean pre 2.5 players and some post 2.5 players). Everyone gets along and we devise tactics together on "oh **** how do we win this one".
5. Setting up for the next wave is fun. Franticly running to outrun the wave behind u to get to the door and then welding it as fast as u can has never been so adrenaline rushing.
6. ALL of the guns feel heavy and powerfull
7. The mod is VERY WELL MADE. Yes there are 1 or 2 bugs but heh the quality and the focus on detail is amazing for a mod (and i can imagne you know what i mean as in detail to the devs of RO).
8. The game in general is FUN, LOTS OF FUN and VERY addictive. It has kept me hooked for years and still does.
9. There have been some very situations in the game that can only happen in killing floor. One example (and ppl of pre 2.5 will remember this) is when on office we got pinned down we would all cram into the lift and just go up and down. And when the doors opend hundrends of zombies would try to cram in and we would all fire freanticly. Then someone would panic and thow a grenade, and it would bounce back into the lift killing that person (ff off). And then also when you are low on health the general sneeking around and hopeing not to get caught by a group of them.:p
10. Finaly, there is always a new tactic to try on each map and there is ALWAYS a new map to try. The amount of community created content is unbelivable. There are 5 classic maps and then about 50 or 60 community created maps. :D

THIS IS WHY it is such a GREAT game, and im sure other KF vets will agree with me :D:D

Upvote 0
Killing Floor has reigned supreme at every LAN party I have hosted two years in a row. By contrast L4D was played for nearly an hour before everyone got bored and booted up KF.

Killing Floor has the aspects of survival that L4D cannot offer.

Being a linear game, L4D seems less like you are being hunted, and more like you are hunting zombies. You have the option to play KF in such a way, but simultaneously you can be forced to run and hide. Nothing compares to the feeling of you and three other friends welding yourselves into a small room to hide while the horde menacingly pounds at the door.

L4D, by the aspect that you are in fact hunting the zombies, also lacks the fear aspect/ammo conservation aspect that Killing Floor has. So many situations result in there being 25 zombies remaining, and having only 20 shotgun shells to dispatch upon them. Running away in such a situation is the usually the best option, but the fact that you can only run so fast adds a terrifying aspect to the game. Constantly checking your six to see a horde of zombies tearing after you is great fun.

KF is also very arcade styled. It's simple to pick up and play. In the first five minutes of playing, everyone in my LAN group knew what to do, and we were already formulating strategies to conquer the maps. The control scheme is so simplified (meaning that you only really need about 5 keyboard buttons and a mouse to play), that even if you haven't touched an FPS in your life, you can sit down and play without a hassle.

Finally, KF is much slower than L4D in gameplay, by the very nature of movement speeds. This is not to say it is a slow game, rather your movement speed is a much more precious aspect. You can only run so fast, and picking up multiple weapons only hinders that limited speed. This is what leads me to my favorite aspect of the game:

KF is like a game of chess. It is a thinking man's game. Whereas L4D is technically run-and-gun, and all about reaction time, KF is all about thinking 10 steps ahead. Should you keep that grenade, or throw it? Should you shoot that zombie, or save your precious ammo and pull out your knife instead? If all of your friends are armed with slow firing weapons, perhaps you should pick up a rapid fire weapon to balance out your team. Every choice is critical to you and your team's survival.

Sorry for the long-windedness. It just seems that a lot of forumites affiliated with Tripwire's previous work is rather skeptical of KF's gameplay. Trust me when I say, "Give it a chance". It's an amazing game, and it's certainly worthy of your attention.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, are there like respawns? Or are you dead for the remainder of the 'round' if there are any.
You are dead for the rest of the wave. A "long" match is 10 waves. But you need at least one team member to survive a wave or you are done. Also, when you respawn, you pop up with a default amount of cash - you've lost your previous earnings. Of course, your mates can toss you money - but it does pay to stay alive...

Upvote 0