• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Prioritize RO traffic, Client UDP port range

wgb

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 18, 2009
I installed a packet shaping software on my NAT server. I want to put the RO game traffic at the highest priority. I used netstat and found RO listens on two UDP ports, but these ports change everytime starts the game.

I can easily identify the RO outgoing UDP packet by setting the rules that look at the destination UDP port as the RO server listening port. But how can I identify the packet coming from the server to my RO client? the source port of the RO server connection must varies. and what is the port range the RO client listens on?

or is there other way to identify RO packet?

Thanks

I'm not sure but usualy when it builds the TCP/UDP connection the TCP stack should assign a port from the pool of unassigned TCP/IP ports. Usually the range of private ports is 49152 - 65535.
I don't think you can influence the client to choose a specific local port as the allocation is made by the OS (TCP stack).

One way (wich is not supported by the client atm) would be that the client notifies your trafic shaper via UPnP. But for this both, the trafic shapper and the client app must support UPnP.

Another way would be to use tunnel between your computer and the traffic shaper (like buiding an VPN to the shaper) and then configure the shaper to give high priority on the packed comming thru VPN/tunnel interface. Be aware that VPN/tunnel put's an overhead on the normal traffic.

Anyway all this stuff require some time to configure.. so better just stop the uTorrent during playing :p (j/k)

Last edited:
Upvote 0