• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra: A Retrospective

Roads to Moscow was a simple snowy map, as Axis you need to cap some little farm.. then climb a crazy hill to blow up an AT gun (what happened to blowable objectives??) and then cap a small village. The problem with the map was the arty which obliterated the allies when they got to the village cap.
In clan matches, the sappers usually delievered satchels to hheir team by throwing them at spawn and resupplying.

Wait, was it Roads to Moscow or Moscow highway?

Moscow Highway, definitely.

Upvote 0
Amazing. I've been playing sine Beta 3.0, and I'm still a lousy shot with a bolty.

What was the name of that snowy combined arms urban map with the radio area you had to defend on the right (from Allies perspective), fountains, sort of a bridge area in the far left rear?

Krakova or something like that?

yeah that was a nice map, its name was karlovka iirc

Upvote 0
Since we're getting our e-penors out...

I first came over to Red Orchestra when the devs released a video of the k98 animations, on their own, against a black background. At the time I was loving modding DoD animations etc and it was a sweet anim.
Yeah, I was a huge DoD player and I remember RO being plugged on the forums by someone, and I got active on the RO forums ever since.

Upvote 0
Fine, even more e-penor comparisons, and on the subject of the k98 animations. How many of you remember, or even noticed, that with the rifles back in the early Beta days, if you watched closely enough, you could see whether or not there was still a cartridge in the magazine? This being before they implemented the 'cannot rack bolt when gun is empty' thing.

About the Moscow Highway thing, when I first played it wasn't the dark and dreary one with the heavy fog. It was bright, sunny, there wasn't a village to cap after the AT Guns, and there wasn't arty to make life hell if you were a Russian trying to defend the Village.

And where did Berlin go? That was easily one of my favourite maps... :(

Upvote 0
I -first- played RO somewhere in the UT2k3 days.. but I put itdown for a while then picked it back up after it released on ut2k4.

Some maps were great.. some where.. meh.. some just carried on and evolved over the ages.

Sparta was one of my more favorites.. mostly because it was quick to get into the action.. there was some map, i can't remember the name, but I could never really figure out where I was, and the scrap of paper never helped me.. (it was some big built-up urban map, reminds me of Leningrad tbh..).. but aside from that the 'scrap of paper' maps where sorta nifty, but it was the biggest PITA when I picked up the game.. overall I'm fine with the game either way.

Mormegil said:
What was the name of that snowy combined arms urban map with the radio area you had to defend on the right (from Allies perspective), fountains, sort of a bridge area in the far left rear?

Krakova or something like that?

I believe the map you're thinking of is Kharkov. Had alot of destructibles, like building facades?

Upvote 0
And where did Berlin go? That was easily one of my favourite maps... :(

hehe, i remember my first evening with RO - i joined berlin. no idea where to go and what to do. some months later in clan we even knew when and where to trow the nade to block routes etc...

and now i cant even count the evenings i spent with this lovely game.
too many if you ask my wife - for sure :D

... even more so blinking cap icons :S

agree with this one. at this time before you had to check capzones to see if enemy is caping, now you only check the map :\

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, the lack of a blinking map icon made for some interesting rounds. It was entirely possible, on some maps, to completely avoid all contact and cap the furthest objective.

Which, of course, usually led to being hunted down like a dog unless your team decided to make a good push, or you were in an easily defended position, but man oh man was it ever fun to see the opposition panic. :D

Upvote 0
Oh wow. I remember when you couldn't lean. Those were the days.

Anyways... I saw the 60 player server and thought to come back. Seems busy as ever (at least with the trial period).

I was encouraging the noobs last night to use cover and map iron sites to right mouse button because they'll use that more than alt fire.

Upvote 0