• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Il-2 thread

I would like to play IL-2.

What is a good flight joystick to buy for the game???

The local store, Best Buy, has the Saitek Aviator (PS33) stick for around $44.00 (includes sales tax), and the Saitek X52 for about $105.00 (includes sales tax).

Which is better???

I have read some reviews and some of the comments in this thread, and it seems that both of these joysticks have some issues.

I read in this thread that the Saitek X52 feels like you're flying in yogurt.

I have read that there seems to be some calibration issues with the Saitek Aviator with some of the sticks

Well, I don't want to fly in yogurt, and the calibration issues sound like a pain, but which one should I buy???

Is the Saitek X52 worth twice the price of one Saitek Aviator??? Does it deliver better control and handling and is it a superior product???

That's about all the store has; and everyone basically has said Logitech sticks are not good, so I won't buy those.

Someone also mentioned a CH flight joystick; how much are those and which is a good one to buy???

I would have to order that though, and I don't like ordering stuff in the mail.

I was thinking of buying Allied Force Falcon 4.0 also which is of course a different game, but someone said it was pretty complex and IL-2 was much more enjoyable to play.

Any opinions about Allied Force Falcon as being a good or bad game to get; it is just $20.00 now (I know it is a little off topic; sorry).

Some of the comments I read about these two Saitek joysticks:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=673636

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7431035027

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a saitek cyborg 3d gold and a thrustmaster fox 2 (bought for novelty value really) , both are rugged, cheap and reliable.
i have a newer wireless saitek but it's still in it's box packed away somewhere cos the cyborg hasn't let me down yet

Anyway i just reinstalled this top game after a few years - i got hold of the dvd complete version for convienience.
I've never played online before - and will probably get my tailplane handed to me if i do now - so i want to get a fair bit of time in first.
However I was wondering what aircraft are recomended as forgiving and good to start practicing with?

I generally always used to fly the hurricane and 180A, and since PF the tempest, mossie, Ki61 Hein and Ki81 Hayate, as these are all personal favs fo mine.
But are they good choices for someone who has so far spent most of his time in quick missions simply shooting crap out of unprotected bombers for sh!ts and giggles?
I imagine the hurri might be a good trainer but phaps not the others?

Out of interest , what are considered inherently the 'best' dogfighters for their time in the game, irrespective of player skill?

Upvote 0
I imagine the hurri might be a good trainer but phaps not the others?

If you really want to practice, you should try diffrent types of planes E.G. just in random bomber intercepting (quick mission) or fairly simple AI dogfights. Even though Hurricane might be decent to give you the very rough basics, eventually you might find out that what works with another plane might cause easy stalling with another.

I once played Stuka campaign 'too much' and pretty much knew very well what that plane can handle or not. Then I played once a quick mission with Messerschmitd and I managed to stall the plane 10 seconds after the flight started. And also I managed to overheat the engine somehow so it was unoperable and resulted in somewhat hilarious emergency landing on ground with several flips :p

Now that I mentioned Stuka, it might be good plane to mess around aswell. Easy to fly and nearly impossible to stall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was reading through the thread up to about page 30 when i got bored of the slanging match, but a lot was mentioned of 1946 ver 4.08 - i have 4.04 IL+AE+PF - does this surfice to find popluated servers?
I have 2 copies of il2, 1 ace, 1 pf and all that again in the complete edition dvd 4.04 so i'd be a bit disapointed if i have to get 1946 right now.

i take it i have to find server IP as there is no browser as such?

@ oldih thx for advice it looks like i should work on a few different types in different theatres so I get a broad feel for what you can get away with and also have some familiar types for different servers - are servers quite ridgid on the plane selection dependant on the theatre and timeframe?

It's nice getting back into the game and i'm enjoying practicing in jap planes over the pacific - do a lot of servers run PF scenarios? it sounds like russ/ger/brit stuff gets used more

Upvote 0
dog and oldih, there are still a lot of players on (of course some times are busier than others). The latest version that the servers use is 4.08m, however there is a 4.09 in the works that incorporates moving targets, it isn't out yet I don't believe. To answer your other question dog, me and a flying buddy usually play Skies of Valor, simply because it has straightforward missions and covers every theater. But nothing beats bombing with the HE-111 :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
dog and oldih, there are still a lot of players on (of course some times are busier than others). The latest version that the servers use is 4.08m, however there is a 4.09 in the works that incorporates moving targets, it isn't out yet I don't believe. To answer your other question dog, me and a flying buddy usually play Skies of Valor, simply because it has straightforward missions and covers every theater. But nothing beats bombing with the HE-111 :)

thanks for the advice - i'll check out that server when im a bit more practiced.
so it looks like i have to get 1946 after all as most ppl play this now online (I take it you cant patch FB+AE+PF to 4.08 due to all the missing content from 1946?)
having bought 3 copies of FB (lent one out), 1 each of AE and PF and then all that again in the complete edition dvd for convienience, i can't believe i've still got to shell out for another game when i have over half it's content already.
gutted.

Upvote 0
Mine just started to act funky.:(

On a related note:
I finally got myself to playing online. Flying on what I though was a 109 vs Spit server I lifted up with 3 other 109s somewhere in Norway, climbed to altitude, dived on some Hellcat but overshot and was myself downed by a Spitfire. then I switched teams and got a kill on a He 111.

But then I was kicked for, god forbid, having royal navy markings on my Hellcat.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
After a few hours of playing online I am severely disappointed. From a game like this I expected a somewhat mature audience, but not here. Everyone is flying nothing but Ki 84s, Spitfire VIIIs, Ta 152s etc whenever possible. Clearly on the servers I was playing on noone gave a crap about realism or fairness but was just after his personal kill board. In a game like IL-2 that simply can't be balanced, nor should it be, you'd expect the players to be grown up enough not to let every pacific battle become a F4U vs Ki 84 slugfest. Apparently too much to ask.

Upvote 0
Apparently you're flying on wrong servers. If you want realistic planesets, maps and cooperating people tune into these servers(also connect to their Ventrilo/TS, they all have one):

ZekevsWildcat (for Pacific gameplay)
109vsSpits
WingsOverEurope
WarClouds

Beware though, flying on these servers require lots of flying experience. If you don't know what are you doing, it'll be very frustrating and boring on your part ;D

It's best to build up experience and gunnery skills on arcady servers then slowly switching to these.

Upvote 0
i recommend against flying on the wings over europe server, when i stopped playing il2 in december the server was full with tens of arrogant spaniards team stacking the blue team and wanking off to the kills they spammed when the teams were 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1 in their favour. it used to be my favourite server but because of them i hate the game now...

Upvote 0
WingsOverEurope

I actually credited my first five online kills here, of which two of them resulted in noticable "wtf just happened?" in the chatbox.

It's best to build up experience and gunnery skills on arcady servers then slowly switching to these.

I'd say the very basic experiences you can get is just play dogfight against the AI with realism settings. This helped me far more better than initially playing online, coupled up with some training videos. After you can handle some planes without any real problems, then it's safe to go online.

After I did that for some time and one day joined briefly on WingsOverEurope, I actually credited those five online kills in one session. :p

Upvote 0
I watched the ones that comes in the game itself.

In the menu, IIRC it is "videos\replays" or "training" and there you can pick more or less training videos. Watching few of them to give you some basic ideas and then just pick a plane in quick dogfight (or start a pilot career) and start practising. It might get boring, and you have to go with some trial and error and have to keep practising until you get the basics, but it sure taught me more than just getting my *** handed on and offline all the time.

Bf-109 is a good plane to start practising dogfighting IMO, or Hurricane. Stable flight controls, decent armanent and decent gunsights. Just remember to put as realistic options as possible and only leave some minimal help, such as target identification and whatever gives you information E.G. whenever your engine is overheating, out of ammo, fuel tank leaking or so on.

Upvote 0