• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I keep losing connection with servers

Einheit_Cerve

Dec 15, 2007
Spain
From some months ago I am having this annoying issue. Most of the days I lost connection with game server each half an hour or one hour, I cant play incessantly :confused:. I noticed also I lost connection with steam chat incessantly since I join a server, ...if I am not playing I dont have problems with chat.

I have checked without results: antivirus settings -even switch off it-, firewall, router ports, spywares viruses removing, validate game, game settings, all tweaks related to .blob, steam.dll files and so.

Before I begin to whining at my internet provider company, any ideas? possible cause? anybody having this problem lately?. The net connection is working fine all the time, no losses..., I only have problems with Red Orchestra game.

I am playing this game for years without this problem, now it is annoying to play this way most of the days. (I have noticed few days i can play hours without it).

Last edited:
If you are worried it's your router, try enabling UpnP in the router's web admin instead of manually opening the ports. (also has to be enabled in windows xp if that's what you have.)

If you think it's your ISP, try a program like ping plotter or similar to monitor the flow to the server.

Some people had to uninstall and then reinstall their anti-virus and/or firewall to fix stuff like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I have installed a new diferent version of my Antivir and a new Firewall -giving all rules and so-, ESET-NOD, (Before I had windows firewall and old version of NOD antivir). And still the same problem. Even with Firewall disabled.

I had a look on that ping plotter program but as far as I saw -dont understand enough of the program functions- all the flow is ok even when I lost the connection with the server, well may be a 10% paquet losses, but dont know if it is in that exact moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I have installed a new diferent version of my Antivir and a new Firewall -giving all rules and so-, ESET-NOD, (Before I had windows firewall and old version of NOD antivir). And still the same problem. Even with Firewall disabled.

I had a look on that ping plotter program but as far as I saw -dont understand enough of the program functions- all the flow is ok even when I lost the connection with the server, well may be a 10% paquet losses, but dont know if it is in that exact moment.

Packet loss is info between the server and yourself that never arrives at the destination. You have to check different addresses or servers to see if it's a general problem or just to that specific server.

If it's general, it's either your isp or your windows settings.

If it's winXP, you have the choice of doing a system restore from a point in time where it used to work, or fix it yourself.

If you have your winXP cd handy, put it in the drive and open the run box and enter: sfc /scannow

It will replace all your windows core files, without the need for a reinstall, but you will have to go through the windows update process again.

Or, you can try repairing just the TCP/IP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

If it ends up being your ISP, make some screenshots of that packetloss in pingplotter and attach them to your correspondence with them. Set it to small intervals (few seconds) and use popular addresses like google / microsoft etc.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
I will try those steps Endorphin. I am afraid of touch the windows installation, I have some configurations I wouldnt like to affect, but may be I will try only the TCP/IP repairing.

I am sure it must be my ISP. I called them but they said me it isnt his problem if I dont lose the connection... well may be is time to change the ISP lol. More when it is the most expensive in my country. But well It is strange i am only having problems with RO online, and well some days ago I could play for many hours with no disconnections...

I will keep trying things, if I get some solution I will provide feedback here.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I think I have discovered the problem. I disconnected the steam chat and comunity and could play for a long time without connection losses with server. It seems my CPU or net itself is too weak to manage both online applications in the same time, so the steam chat begin to fail and then finally the game itself lose the connection with the current game server. May be there is some bug in new updates.

I will keep testing it but it seems to be this the only cause...

I hope this can be helpful for other users. I have noticed some players are having similar problems.

Upvote 0
Glad you solved it, but I doubt either is too weak to run both.

What is probably happening, is that once the chat thing starts or sends some packets, the router is not sure what to do with them (diff ports) and hangs. Since you tested without a firewall, it's probably the router.

Did you ever try UPnP in the router config? Have to enable it in windows as well.

Upvote 0
I didnt try the UPnP. I have mapped the router by myself, I understand that this protocol do it automatically, ...or only open it all the ports?. Hmm I am not sure about security health in my local net with this activated. Well may be I will try it, I really would like to have the chat open while I play. May be the problem is that I have too many friends and groups added now hehe, and my weak CPU (ancient AMD Athlon XP 2600+) have problems to manage it..., I remember to heard long time ago about people playing CS with steam and having problems with this.

Anyway all the ports listed for the game and other applications are open.

Upvote 0
UPnP opens ports as the programs you run need them. It does not keep them open all the time (like manual configs). It's good if you trust the programs running on your computer. You can change it back after if you determine thats where the problem lies.

Also,
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29460

Your cpu can handle both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, but just in case, I'll outline the steps to enable UPnP in winXP (in case you missed that step and others try the fix as well):

open the start-run box, enter: services.msc

Find both

SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host

double-click on them and choose startup type to: automatic. If they don't show as started, you have to reboot.

Then, enable it in the router.

Upvote 0
Ok, but just in case, I'll outline the steps to enable UPnP in winXP (in case you missed that step and others try the fix as well):

open the start-run box, enter: services.msc

Find both

SSDP Discovery Service
Universal Plug and Play Device Host

double-click on them and choose startup type to: automatic. If they don't show as started, you have to reboot.

Then, enable it in the router.
I tried that following these steps but still the same problem. I think it is more usual when server is populated and map is big, and there are some activity in my steam chat...

Hmm I dont find that setting for "not allow steam community". I have it configurated to appear as dissconnect right when i enter the steam, i have manually to connect the chat, dont know if can be a problem.

Anyway thank you for your help guys.

Upvote 0