• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Blood for the Red Hand - 1969 ~ 1997

stevenn

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 14, 2008
Haven't posted here in years, 05, easily. Had another account (Partisan693) but I could not remember the email address used. So no I'm not a noob.

I've had this idea in my head ever since the game came out, long story short. This mod is about the conflict in Northern Ireland, a bloody guerrilla warfare struggle that lasted from around 1969, to 1997, and considering that the Protestant paramilitaries were never forced to disarm (as the Provisional IRA did in 2007) as well as the recent attempted attacks by the rogue CIRA and RIRA, it shows possibility of flaring up again, in the near future.

However, it was indeed an important part of history. Battles between the British security forces and as many as 3,000 IRA members at a time, were known to happen. It was guerrilla warfare at it's finest.

It is also a conflict that offers an interesting urban yet rural at the same time setting (Northern Ireland, and the border with the Republic of Ireland) as well as the chance to use quite a variety of 20th century weapons, more so then any other conflict I can think of.

THE FACTIONS

IRA_Terrorism-321x259.jpg

THE PROVISIONAL IRA

A brief history on the group can be found in plenty of youtube documentaries, look them up.

The Provisional IRA, made use of quite a variety of arms, as well as a variety of soldiers.

They operated in 4 man groups called "ASU"'s or Active Service Unit. Each ASU, and indeed every IRA soldier was referred to as a "Volunteer."

In order to over come the upper hand, that the British security forces and even SAS and Para's, would have on you, it would be vital that all IRA men function as a 4 man ASU, and stick together as one. You will not have flack jackets, helmets, nor the vehicular support that the British will have.

Arms of the Provisional IRA
:

AR-18.jpg

The AR-18

Probably the most iconic weapon the IRA, seeing as they are the only group to have ever really used it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-18

It was affectionately named by them as "the Widowmaker."

- Fires a high velocity, 5.56 round.
- Fully auto or Semi auto fire.
- 30 round mag, some had 40 round magazine however.
- Very accurate, not prone to jamming unlike it's AR-15/M-16 cousins.
- Extremely light weight.
* Some models had small PU sized scopes.

women1.jpg

Female IRA volunteer, firing at British soldiers with the famed "Widowmaker." Mid-Late 70's.

Rifle_AK47_Olive_Drab.gif

The AK-47

Majority of these (over 1,000) were donated to the IRA by Libya in the 1980's.

- Inaccurate at long ranges, accurate enough at close to medium range.
- 7.62x39 round has immense stopping power.
- Never jams.
- 30 round magazine.

ar15_450wg.gif

The AR-15/M-16.

The civilian, semi-automatic version of the M-16.

I believe that version is accurate the 70's-80's time frame. The IRA was mostly supplied these by sympathisers in the US.

- 5.56 high velocity round.
- Extremely accurate.
- Relatively light weight.
- Prone to jamming if not maintained properly. They seem to have been maintained properly by the volunteers, however.
- Semi automatic only, however.
- Some had 20 round magazines, others had 30.
- Would usually be outfitted with a small scope, used as a Desginated Marksman's rifle.

- The M-16, looked identical, but was fully automatic.
- Relatively accurate on 3 round burst, less so accurate on full burst.

800px-IRA_Resistance_Poster.jpg

Mural depicting a volunteer from the late 80's armed with an M-16.

G3A4BW.jpg

The G3

German assault rifle, accurate, reliable, saw widespread use amongst volunteers.

- 7.62X51 round, better stopping power then AK.
- Extremely accurate on semi automatic.
- Extremely, uncontrollably inaccurate on fully automatic, probably more so then the AK.

2008_0907Image0002.jpg

Romanian AK-47.

- Added front grip, allowed for a little bit more accuracy on fully auto.
- Really just looks cool. ;p

Rpg-7.jpg

The RPG-7

- Recieved from the Palestinians in the 70's.
- Extremely destructive anti-tank weapon, which also functioned as a great anti-personnel device.
- User, usually carried around 3 reloads, plus the one in his tube.

Other weapons would be Semtex, to replace the satchel charge.

"Anfo" as described here:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
During the years of the 'Long War', IRA members have become skilled in making explosives from such substances as nitrobenzene and fertilizer, either for use in large bombs designed to blow up buildings or in smaller devices designed to be thrown at the North's security forces. Home-made weapons have included the nail bomb (an anti-personnel device) and the 'drogue bomb' (an anti-vehicle grenade consisting of about 230 g of explosive packed into a big baked bean tin attached to a throwing handle). Home-made explosives are known by such names as 'Anfo' (fertilizer and diesel oil mix) and 'Annie'.
[/FONT]

The homemade mortar, nicknamed the Mark 17:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_D6c1Mf-gg

It might not look like much, but this thing killed 9 RUC in one day, and also almost killed the entire British government, one morning when it was launched against Number 52 Downing Street..

Sidearms would include Taurus pistols, Smith and Wesson revolvers, and Beretta pistols.

Hand grenades were also occasionally carried, though not always issued to volunteers.

As for sniper rifles, the Barret 50. cal, was used prominently during the early 1990's, as well as scoped M-16's and G3's.

The machine guns most popularly used, were the American M-60, British Bren, and FN-MAG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thats enough detailing for now, the other side would obviously be the British army, including the SAS, (who could be a seperate side and sent against the IRA on other maps).

I've decided not to bother mentioning the loyalist paramilitaries like the UVF, UDF, UFF, and Red Hand Commandos.. since they never really fought, and from the years 1969-1997.. only managed to kill 12 IRA volunteers, where as killing hundreds of civilians.

You might be thinking that perhaps the conflict is simply too small for RO.. on the contrary, I think battles like this would be perfect for the game, seeing as you can only have about 45-60 people in each game. Whereas RO doesn't look like WWII, this could actually look like the Irish troubles.

So, anyone interested?

Bleeding Limbs - 1994 -2007

Bleeding Limbs - 1994 -2007

Hey, what about another idea for a total conversion:

"Bleeding Limbs - Rwanda 1994 -2007"

[...]
In 1990, the Tutsi-dominated RPF invaded Rwanda from Uganda. Some members allied with the military dictatorship government of Habyarimana responded in 1993 to the RPF invasion with a radio station that began anti-Tutsi propaganda and with pogroms against Tutsis, whom it claimed were trying to re-enslave the Hutus. Nevertheless, after 3 years of fighting and multiple prior "cease-fires," the government and the RPF signed a "final" cease-fire agreement in August 1993, known as the Arusha accords, in order to form a power sharing government. Neither side appeared ready to accept the accords, however, and fighting between the two sides continued unabated. By that time, over 1.5 million civilians had left their homes to flee the selective massacres against Hutus by the RPF army. They were living in camps, the most famous of them was called Nyacyonga
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruanda#Civil_war_and_genocide

Factions: Hutu, Tutsi, Republic of the Congo, UN

Weapons: Tons of contemporary weaponry, lotsa Machetes

Gameplay:

- new awesome melee system!
- new gametype: UN observer trying to avoid looking at atrocities gets back home earlier
- awesome map settings, small villages, djungle, athmospheric radio speeches

*gulp*

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
You think wars 1914-1918 or 1939-1945 is respectfull? afghanistan, irak, ... too?

i think it is respectful enough to give accurate portrayals of battles fought. to give the player a little insight to a battle.

i wanted to go to iraq or afghanistan but dont anymore. why im goin t college n stayin a territorial. alot of my mates have joined the regz and are over there rite now. i have seen mods made about iraq and afghanistan though.

Upvote 0
due to recent events in Northern Ireland, i now believe it would be disrespectful to make a mod about the IRA and republican factions vs. the British Army. and loyalist factions.

i think that would be the the mods 'unique selling point' there are plenty of games based on the middle east, just because its thousends of miles away doesent make it any different from conflicts going on a few hundred miles away or something that hits 'more to home'.

how about the irish war of independance 1919-1921 or the irish civil war 1922-1923?

Upvote 0