• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Reality Mini-mod

New version released a few days ago. I played a couple rounds and I have to say this mod has one of the best playerbases ever. Lots of teamwork and coordination not only on a squad level but with the whole team.

http://www.realitymod.com/downloads.html

taliban02.jpg

btr60.jpg

Upvote 0
Very good game, been playing this with few friends very often lately.

Only thing I will never get used to is the aiming system. Since there is no free aim or weapon sway, PR will instead make your shots artificially inaccurate, unless you hold your sights on the targets for 1-4 seconds(depending on the distance and weapon) before firing. Sometimes I find this increadibly frusturating, since in most situations you never know if your bullet will go straight to target or miss by a inch. It is very hard for me to hit moving targets, since your accuracy immediately declines if you move your mouse while trying to lead your target.

They made the guns more accurate for this latest version, which is a great improvement in my eyes, but I still miss the RO weapon sway and free aim, because the way PR does it just doesn't feel natural. In RO you control your weapon and aim 100%, it is part of you, in PR it is a tool that has a mind of its own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you guys want a really good time playing PR I suggest you join FFTF or fightforthefuture.us. They are always on playing and the squad/teamwork is always the best. When you get a squad of FFTF guys in a server they will usually win it for the team.

Its free and easy to join and there are no real commitments. Just play when you can and have fun.

fightforthefuture.us

Tell then LRB_M1A sent you... You will be treated like a god... Sort of... Not really... But tell them LRB_M1A sent you anyways.

Upvote 0
So after a long time I played this again, my impressions:

+You can feel that it's pretty much like the real deal
+The variety of scenarios(from iraq to afghanistan with taliban to china to chechen rebels vs russia) and factions is incredible
-This has to be the most unaccessable mod/game ever created
-The general lagginess(in terms of movement, weapon behaviour, etc.) totally ruined my experience

On a good and modern game engine this could be very good. But if I shoot a whole mag of single rounds on an enemy 200m away while lying on the ground and aiming with a scoped M16 and it's right on target and yet none of the bullets hits then something has got to be wrong, especcially as sometimes I can even see the bullets hitting all around the target.

Also some parts of the community seem to be pricks, I said 'This would be even better with a better engine', answer '**** off if you don't like it go away this is moty2008'.

Upvote 0
On a good and modern game engine this could be very good. But if I shoot a whole mag of single rounds on an enemy 200m away while lying on the ground and aiming with a scoped M16 and it's right on target and yet none of the bullets hits then something has got to be wrong, especcially as sometimes I can even see the bullets hitting all around the target.
Because you're doing it wrong. ;)
Make pauses between shots, for 2 seconds prefferably. If you're using sniper rifle, then pauses must be as long as 8 seconds.

-This has to be the most unaccessable mod/game ever created
??
You just buy BF2 (or even download it, I know there are servers without PB), download the mod installer and maps for it and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because you're doing it wrong. ;)
Make pauses between shots, for 2 seconds prefferably. If you're using sniper rifle, then pauses must be as long as 8 seconds.
I played Battlefield 2 for two years and I'm not a moron. I did fire single shots(single fire mode). It must be some kind of weird cone of fire the bf2 engine seems to have.

??
You just buy BF2 (or even download it, I know there are servers without PB), download the mod installer and maps for it and you're good to go.
I was talking about the gameplay.

Upvote 0
I played Battlefield 2 for two years and I'm not a moron. I did fire single shots(single fire mode). It must be some kind of weird cone of fire the bf2 engine seems to have.

PR plays very different from vBF2.
You have to wait between shots! Like Bolt wrote keep 2 seconds between shots, also not staying with your squad has afaik also a negative effect on your weapon deviation, so stick with your squad.

For me PR is the most realistic fps game about land based warfare today. Imho you can "feel" that lot of this mods devs has been or are in the military and i simply love the fact that the slow paced very tactical, and teamplay enforcing gameplay keeps the triggerhappy "Rambos" away.
There is no game out there, including RO, with better teamplay on public servers.

Upvote 0
PR plays very different from vBF2.
You have to wait between shots! Like Bolt wrote keep 2 seconds between shots, also not staying with your squad has afaik also a negative effect on your weapon deviation, so stick with your squad.

For me PR is the most realistic fps game about land based warfare today. Imho you can "feel" that lot of this mods devs has been or are in the military and i simply love the fact that the slow paced very tactical, and teamplay enforcing gameplay keeps the triggerhappy "Rambos" away.
There is no game out there, including RO, with better teamplay on public servers.
Well I guess this is not my game then, because I want to hit the target 200m away after at least 2 magazines carefully fired. I'll test this 2sec pause after 1 round but I doubt it'll work/I'll have the time to really do that. I thought it was kinda frustrating because there even was an ACOG on my M16 and why wouldn't the bullet hit if the target isn't even moving and I'm lying(on higher ground even) within the efficient range. It's not like the bullet would get thrown to the side by magic.

But you know what, I'll give it another try now

Upvote 0
Ahh I hate the conefire so much in PR. That's one of the reasons I stopped playing. One patch they tone down the cone fire, and it turns into a railgun shooter; then they buff it up and then it becomes a "patience" test or spraying fest. BF2 engine just doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0
Ok, just played for 2 hours or something. Squad play was good, but overall hell that was boring.

In 1 round I got 2-3kills, which was the average looking at the stats.

One of the kill was one enemy max. 10m away. I aimed, shot, somehow missed(wtf?), shot again and luckily hit and killed him before he could turn around and kill me. BF2 engine totally ruins this for me and probably I won't play this anymore, because while there is so much potential(love the variety in factions) and the developers are no doubt VERY VERY talented people who really know what they're doing, I'm not really having any fun which I had in other simulations like OFP or ArmA(although limited at start).

Upvote 0
The Mods put deviation in since BF2 does not have weapon sway or a way to make the player less accurate. The newest version is much better than the older .75 release in terms of deviation. In the older release you could never hit anything unless you had a cobra rain hell down on a enemy.

Engaging enemies is a lot like how its suppose to be in real life. You find a target, you inform your squad of the target, and then you and a couple members of your squad lay down a sheet of bullets around the enemy. There is really no one man rambo super skillz sniper. Usually the squad laying down the most fire wins.

I'll admit I do not enjoy the game if I am not in a good squad. But luckily I found a clan/community that has a high level of tactics and plays all the time. So every time I play I am in a kick *** squad.

Upvote 0