• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Volume optimization in a map

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
I was wondering what if anything I can do to optimize volumes in my map, those such as minevolumes and noartyvolumes.

Does the number, size, and shape of these volumes have much affect on a map while running or loading, and if so, to what extent?

I am trying to optimize my Gazala Line map and while I seem to get decent frame rates running it "in practice mode", the load time to get there seems longer than I want.

Any clues, tips, or hints would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

But loading times? :D

A Volume itself shouldn't have much effect on loading time.. 'file size' wise it's pretty minute, so any real time would come from the initial rendering of the scene/level.. I can see it taking -some- time per volume, but unless you have crazy volumes (like multiple physics types maybe? dunno tbh), I can't see them taking much start-up-time either.
Volumes should be handled on the CPU, so if you also have alot of BSP, you might be running into a CPU bottleneck for the initial scene rendering? Just a guess throwing it out there.

How much longer with the volumes are we talking about?

Upvote 0