• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Achievements: Coming to RO. Soon.

Well, it really depends on the nature of the achievements. Some might just make some pople do silly things repeteadly in order to do them, without them even paying attention to the game going on around them.
However, while I still think achievements are totally dispensable, and hope the update will include bugfixes as well, I trust TWI will be intelligent enough not to fork out achievements that could disrupt gameplay (like would do about 50% of those proposed in this thread... :p )

Upvote 0
Well, it really depends on the nature of the achievements. Some might just make some pople do silly things repeteadly in order to do them, without them even paying attention to the game going on around them.
However, while I still think achievements are totally dispensable, and hope the update will include bugfixes as well, I trust TWI will be intelligent enough not to fork out achievements that could disrupt gameplay (like would do about 50% of those proposed in this thread... :p )

Yes, that could be a big worry for some, but so far TWI has done well with the game, so I am trusting them to do this right as well, even though at the moment achievements do not mean much to me. And if it brings more (good) players to the game, that could be better for us all :)

Upvote 0
3 - figures three - years old in about a week's time! Not doing badly for an old man, now is it :) ?

And you didnt even count in the good old and glorious mod times :D

Guys, just don't worry and trust TWI that they do/did a fine job. As far as I see the Achievements don't do any impact on the gameplay itself, they just add a little happiness when you see you that you just got achievement X or achievement Y.

btw: Thanks TWI that you still add things to my all-time-favourite!

Upvote 0
I actually find it odd that people get upset over us dropping in Achievements. They are a bit of fun, that people can chose to take notice of, or ignore. We'll be picking those that represent our style of gameplay in RO. But its a bit of fun - ya know, like playing games is fun?

It's the fact that RO is losing a bit of a realism touch.

But much more upsetting is that mutators won't work with these.

It is unacceptable for something like this to come that makes other things unuseable. And unprofessional IMO. So we can turn them off, the point is we shouldn't have to, all updates should come compatible with the content that is already out, wether custom made or not.

Upvote 0
We've explained our reasoning on that. We are supporting mods and mutators with the achievements, except for when we feel it changes the core gameplay too much. That would make it easier or harder in some cases to get them. That is why we have the limitations in place as is so it will not just be so simple to farm them out as well (16 humans on a server before it starts checking).

Also on the other hand (WARNING: PERSONAL OPINION TIME) I would think that many of you who don't want achievements on your servers could just choose to enable or even make a mutator ( that does nothing, since it wouldn't be on the approved list), and run it and achievements would be turned off. You make it sound like this forces people not to use those mutators, when it doesn't. It is obvious there is a crowd out there that likes those mutators and among those are people who don't want achievements at all (if this thread is anything to go by).

Upvote 0
It's the fact that RO is losing a bit of a realism touch.

But much more upsetting is that mutators won't work with these.

It is unacceptable for something like this to come that makes other things unuseable. And unprofessional IMO. So we can turn them off, the point is we shouldn't have to, all updates should come compatible with the content that is already out, wether custom made or not.
Now I don't normally react too much to "stuff", but I will to this one.

"All updates should be compatible with the content that is already out, whether custom made or not"? Don't be ridiculous - ANY update we make to the game is potentially "incompatible" with existing mutators such as AB. There is absolutely no way on earth we can be responsbile for stuff like that. Go read the EULA.

We're back to an old point here: we have gone on producing FREE content and updates for the game for fully three years after release. Every update has been tested against ALL our own prior content. Just as it has been this time. It works with all OFFICIAL content. Where we can, we have even gone way beyond our remit and tried to ensure that updates will work with third party content - but we can make no guarantees on any of that. Updates we've made before have caused mutators such as AB to need tweaking - just adding new vehicles has done that. That is the way of unofficial third-party work on all games.

We have always gone out of our way to check new content against third-party stuff out there, such as Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour, as well as with the After-Hourz guys, where we can. But there is no chance that we'll try and track down everyone who has ever made some mutator for the game, ask for their code and test against it.

As for making stuff unusable: we aren't. Just that in some cases, you won't be able to use the NEW features (Steam Achievements) if the server is running different bits of third-party code. You can use ALL the mutators you ever did - just that you won't pick up Achievements for play on servers running them. Not one single mutator should become "unusable".

So, please don't go around calling us "unprofessional". On behalf of the team here that has worked for 4-5 YEARS on the game, I resent that remark. How many other developers have put as much time and effort into their product, spent as much time working with the community, listening to them, fixing issues, updating the game (FOR FREE) - even helping code some of the mods?

As for "losing realism", you might remember that soldiers in the field won awards and medals, plus badges for specific special achievements.

And, in the final analysis, if you don't care for Achievements - just ignore them, like I said the first time around! If you want to play on a server running unofficial code, play won't count towards Achievements. If you want to gain Achievements, play on a server running Tripwire-sanctioned code. How complicated is that?!

/endrant.

Upvote 0
As for "losing realism", you might remember that soldiers in the field won awards and medals, plus badges for specific special achievements.

I like this part. Personally I wouldn't want a bunch of goofy achievements, and I wholeheartedly believe that the guys at Tripwire wouldn't allow their creation to have anything TOO silly in it. I'm sure there will be a nice balance with something for everyone.

Upvote 0
Oh, we thought about "silly"... awards for shooting Putz. More awards for shooting Putz. Awards for shooting Putz when he is aiming a gun at me. Awards for shooting Putz on any map I am on. That sort of thing... Awards for me for being on a map and NOT getting shot by Putz.

And no, we are largely not into the deeply silly awards. A few slightly more light-hearted, but everything ~should~ encourage "correct" gameplay...

Upvote 0