• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

#1 Reason this game is dying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weissert

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 3, 2007
Tonight I decided to play the game again for the first time in a few months to try out the new upgrades on my computer. At first it would not let me join any servers. I figure, okay, the version I have may be corrupted. So I delete the local content and re download the game. Takes about half an hour, no biggy.

So I click on a server that has some people playing, and it starts to download the servers custom files. And I wait, and wait, and wait, and wait...over an HOUR. File after file, texture after texture. I have a superb internet connection (10 megs down and 2 up.) Finally I give up on that server and go to another, and the custom files start downloading again...now I'm on 20 minutes and I haven't yet played a second. So including the initial download I've now waited almost two hours and haven't played at all. Just constantly downloading more custom files.

Are we to expect new players to wait this long before they get to try out the game? I know I wouldn't have!

I agree about the down-loads. It's a real drag to have to d/l textures, uniforms, the map, added vehicles, weapon mod packs..etc ad nauseum. I'm OK with grabbing maps, but I can have a perfectly fine time without all that other stuff. Not that I don't appreciate independent developers and their content...but sometimes too much is too much.

THAT'S WHY I spent about an hour last night working up the .ini file for our brand new RO:OST server. :D We're going old-school. 32 slots, Infantry only, stock maps. The map list is just the smaller stock maps like Danzig and LyesKrovy and Basovka, among others. We should have the kinks out of it in a few days...I hope in time for this weekend.

Look for it listed in your server browser as:
[TxM] Texas Militia : Infantry Only, Stock Maps, Fast Action!

It's a Dallas based server, so it should be excellent ping for east and left coast players.

RO is not dying. Several guys in my clan are brand new to the game, and got thoroughly addicted to it in about 2 hours. Several others in my clan are coming back to it, and around this core we I hope we can build a solid RO community at Texas Militia.

www.texasmilitia.com

Upvote 0
TW is still providing content for the game, many people are modding for it..take a look at DH mod and such. The servers that are full have many great players on them and I see new players joining up all the time. I just don't see what the problem really is.
Many games, 20 minutes out of the box are dead and dated. That's PC and console games.
In my mind, RO has proven itself as a ten-fold contender in its longevity and future.. in it's pure quality gaming prowess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
..........We're going old-school. 32 slots, Infantry only, stock maps. The map list is just the smaller stock maps like Danzig and LyesKrovy and Basovka, among others........

www.texasmilitia.com

I really do hope this becomes a popular success - where I connect from I take for granted a reasonably large number of servers playing a fairly decent selection of maps.
However i understand ppl in NA have real problems getting decent RO games going for whatever reasons so good luck.

Sounds like a good idea - I've generally have had better games on the smaller maps with 32 players - while i appreaciate the work involved i've never really been into the big epic maps - i find them empty, a slog and therefore a bit dull. I did enjoy berezina back in the day but at the time it was fresh and it's also very linear so the action was concentrated, for the most part.

The medium/smaller maps seem to play more to RO's strengths, and theres so many of them to chose from so theres no need to get bored.

Upvote 0
Well i personally am a fan of 24/7 servers because it means people who enjoy that map always havea place to go, and i love both Arad and Danzig so when no other server is running a decent map they are my refuges!

Also@Private Who, i used to play on the TxM servers for DoDS is it still about? I really had alot of fun on there thanks for that :cool:

cant wait for your RO server to get up and running.

This game is in no way dying, it's in its prime. Last night i went on Arad 24/7 and needed to download the realforest4 edition, it took about 3 minutes and i was away. And i have an 8meg connection. I was more than happy to wait 3 minutes.

Upvote 0
Also@Private Who, i used to play on the TxM servers for DoDS is it still about? I really had alot of fun on there thanks for that :cool:

cant wait for your RO server to get up and running.

Yes we still have a DoD:S server up, as well as CoD:UO, CoD:WaW, CS:S, and L4D. Our DoD server is an orange maps server: 75.126.10.168:27015

And we are having a sniper night this weekend, pubbers welcome. 830CST, join our teamspeak for ip details at gametime.

Thanks for the well wishes with our RO server, hope to see you there and feel free to visit our forums.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's dying because many other players, like me, have been playing this game - and before it, the MOD - to the bone.

Players that have been playing countless hours during so many years that we came to the point where we knew by heart where every stone was located on some maps.

There's a limit to what one can take and just like the cows do, we do need some fresh air and a new green lawn to feast at from time to time.

Maybe.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.