• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DCS: Black Shark

Rak

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
D
The next great thing in simulation world ;) I'm surprised that we don't have a dedicated thread for BS yet, that's why I'm making this :)

DCS-BS_Banner_498x250_01.jpg

First, some info from DCS website:

"DCS: Black Shark" is a PC game of the Russian Ka-50 attack helicopter and is the first title in a new Eagle Dynamics and The Fighter Collection simulation series: "Digital Combat Simulator" (DCS). Following Eagle Dynamics' tradition of excellence, "DCS: Black Shark" will bring an even more realistic simulation experience than its predecessor "Flaming Cliffs". "DCS: Black Shark" will offer an unprecedented level of realism in regards to flight dynamics, instruments modeling, avionics systems, and weapon systems. The artificial Intelligence of ground vehicles and helicopters has been improved dramatically as well as weapon modeling. A new Mission Editor includes a powerful electronic mapping system that allows user to easily create missions and campaigns. A new campaign system allows the front line of the battlefield to move back and fourth according to your mission success or failure. Due to the increased flexibility of the DCS system, additional fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter add-ons will follow shortly.

More reading material about the depth of realism: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=950&scr=default&lang=en

Video overview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D68L0ff4II0

English version is downloadable from DCS website, and boxed version is due out next month in major retailers.

Info about the future of the series by Matt Wagner:

As for what happens after Black Shark, the team has several aircraft modules currently in development (this could include development of 6 DOF cockpits, avionics or flight dynamics). While the A-10A Suite 2 module will still likely follow the Black Shark, the following aircraft are also now planned for DCS in development at one stage or another:

1- A-10A Suite 2 (latest version of A-10A in active use)
2- A-10C Suite 3 (we now able to develop an entertainment version of the simulation we developed for them. We are very happy and excited about this).
3- AH-64A Blk. 49A
4- Su-27
5- F-15C
6- Mi-24V
7- F-16C
8- MiG-29A

Naturally, release of aircraft like the Su-27 and F-15C would coincide with integration of advanced flight model for missiles, advanced seeker logic and advanced air-to-air radar logic and modeling.

Attached a few very early images of the 6 DOF cockpits for the Flanker and Eagle.

The actual order of release is still up in the air. For all of these aircraft, we now have all the needed data to model them properly to DCS standards (very important a big factor of what does and does not go into DCS as a flyable). It is important to remember that all of these aircraft will be modeled to the same level of detail as the Black Shark in DCS. As I hope many of you realize after reading and seeing more about Black Shark, this will be a daunting task but will provide the most comprehensive and realistic simulation of flying these aircraft within a combat environment on the PC.

:cool:

Last edited:
It's not that hard when you give 1-2 hours for getting familiar with the cockpit, flying the helicopter around :D Though it's a beast to master. I have the sim for only 1 week and I have barely touched the combat systems :) The automation is incredible. You can let the autopilot do many things for you. In fact, it's forbidden for Russian pilots to turn off autopilot channels while flying IRL.

Flying alone is so fun, it's a shame that Russia doesn't want to buy any of these birds anymore.

Upvote 0
Is the boxed version going to have starforce like every other version?

It will have the same protection as the download version. Developers claim this version of Starforce doesn't install any drivers that mess up your hardware, it's just online product activation.

Hell, aside from the fact that everything's in Russian, the flight control ain't much worse than a DC3...

Well it's one of the most maneuvrable combat helicopter you can find, but autopilots are a real annoyance and helicopter is just unflayable when you turn them off. Takes a good time to get used to :) (now, doesn't BF2 helicopters handle beautifully? :p )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecl_qxdhvTU&fmt=18

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But aren't the online activations limited to 8?

If I remember correctly there was a news post in a Finnish gaming site saying that the version for Scandinavians isn't supposed to have Starforce.

I'm not into flight sims, but I always thought this looked rather interesting. What helds me back is just the DRM crap.

This is pretty hardcore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkfx6QxLfg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But aren't the online activations limited to 8?

AFAIK you have 8 activations and 10 deactivations. Once you activated, you can use your deactivations instead of reactivating everytime you reinstall/change hardware. Once you run out, you have to beg for more. Still Draconian IMO. They say they are thinking of a Steam version without Starforce, I hope it works out.

Upvote 0
It will have the same protection as the download version. Developers claim this version of Starforce doesn't install any drivers that mess up your hardware, it's just online product activation.

That dosent explain why my hdd started crashing when i got the download version and stopped when i removed it and all traces of starforce. Besides EDs only claim for that starforce dosent mess up any hardware is that nobody has sent their computer to the makers of starforce in russia for validation of a crash.... :rolleyes:

So no i wont be getting the box if it has any form of starforce in it even if says its "safe", even tho i want the game :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0