• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Inglourious Basterds

I've had a discussion about this before and in my eyes I don't think what he does is right. I know that Tarantino's movies are not the most serious but american jews going to germany to slaughter bad nazis? That's like the last thing I'd ever watch, had enough of the clichee stuff. And to be honest I think it shows disrespect to the real soldiers as well. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
And to be honest I think it shows disrespect to the real soldiers as well. Just my opinion.
In my opinion it doesn't have to do anything with real soldiers and unlike the CoD series it doesn't try to pass itself off as realistic or based on true events. It shows neither respect nor disrespect to any real soldier.
Remember: This is not a movie about the war. It is a movie about a genre!

Inglorious Basterds has no direct connection to the war. It looks like it does, because it is directly connected to the war-movie genre and that genre looks like the war (uniforms, gear, locations, etc.).

Imagine someone painting a Van Gogh painting of a sunflower. It isn't fair to criticise him for not respecting the sunflowers true form. It's simply not what he is after. His painting may look somewhat like a sunflower, simply because Van Gogh's original does, but what inspires him and what he wants to paint is Van Gogh's painting. Complaining about clichees like using slightly not-matching colors and Van Gogh's signature style with those weird patches isn't valid either.

You don't have to like Inglorious Basterds! It's a tasteless war-movie like many before it. Maybe more tasteless than most. Ie, if you don't like Van Gogh's flower, you won't like its copy. Yet I don't think it is fair to accuse it of disrespecting real soldiers or to abuse clichees as that's simply not what the movie is about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
tarantinostarepv5.jpg

Hai guyz, I hope you like my new movie, don't worry I'll include plenty of foot shots for us fine gents who enjoy a good toe sucking.

lolololol angry Jewish commandos I'm so cool! See ya on the red carpet!

Upvote 0
Quote from the link:
death proof was supposed to be really really bad, if you have ever seen a grindhouse you would know
What's funny is that nobody ever used the term "grindhouse" for 70s horror flicks before Tarantino and Rodriguez made their Grindhouse and now everyone is acting like they are expertes on the grindhouse "genre". :)

Only by watching a movie about a genre can you see what the genre is about. If you watch a movie from the genre you are immersed by what it is about. To see what the genre is about you would have see quite a number of such films - or one film about the genre.
Tarantinos movies about genres made many people "experts" on these now, but they don't realize where they got their "knowledge" from. Now they really act like they were fans of cheap wuxia movies or b-horror movies before and enjoyed what Tarantino did with their conventions.
They didn't enjoy what Tarantino did with their beloved genre cconventions, they enjoyed that he showed them to them.:p
Now he has all those raging pseudo experts roaming around claiming he did nothing new and only remade old s**t they already knew, when in fact they knew nothing.

I was never a fan of wuxia movies, for example, because I have no cultural connection with their setting. E.g. someone stabbing himself for failure may or may not be badass, but it's a tradition I had nothing to do with so it was just weird to me. However I grew up with westerns and was especially a fan of italo-westerns.
Kill Bill I watched mostly because it was on tv and seemed like a badass way to waste some time but it made me realize that the wuxia genre and the italo-western genre are basically the same. The only real difference is the setting. At first I thought it might have to do with Tarantino americanizing the genre with his take on it, but then Kill Bill 2 actually took place partly in flashbacks to this Kung Fu master and partly in the deserts italo-westerns are supposed to take place and it meshed together perfectly.:)

Now, it may or may not be Tarantinos goal to explore and portray a certain genre. Maybe he just wants to make a movie in the genre and ends up with too many references and clichees for his own good because he is a movie nerd. I don't know the man, so I can't tell. What I can tell is that movies like Kill Bill are far more than just their flashy exterior and what they are about (ie. the Bride killing folks). They are studies of genres, intentional or not, and the body of research, intentional (ie. reading up on stuff) or not (just referencing what he's seen before) behind them is immense and without any work on your part you get a feel for the content of this research just by watching his movies.

Now, whether you like movies like Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds is your business and depends on many things. You can dislike the genre they are based on, you can dislike their content, you can dislike their style, etc. That's all fair and good. Regardless of whether you like them or not though, you should acknowledge that they are more than simple gore-flicks or "just another war-movie/wuxia-movie" and acknowledge that they have a certain quality to them that goes beyond their immediate content (ie. acting, plot, lighting, sfx, etc.).

I was never interested in the war-movie genre because for the most part the carelessness in which historical accuracy is sacrificed for cheap heroism is disgusting to me. If I have to watch a movie about war I prefer it to be an anti-war-movie, even though I don't like those too much either because they drag me down.
But I'm looking forward to see Inglorious Basterds for reasons mentioned above.

Upvote 0
I agree with Murphy, and am looking forward to it as well. I think Tarantino is a talented guy, despite being a bit trashy. The last few movies he made paid homage to a genre I didn't care for, so of course I didn't like them. Pulp fiction & resevoir dogs were both good flicks though. Hearing that hes making it "spaghetti western" themed is kind of odd for a ww2 movie. But hey it will at least be unique and unpredictable.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0