• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Hearts of Iron III

The last two logs had some very, and I mean very, interesting information in them. Without a question, the influence thing and the anti-super stack measures strike my fancy. In fact, I've always thought provinces should have limited capacity when it came to the number of units in them (24 armoured divisions in Luxembourg, anyone?). This is shaping up to be the HoI I would have designed myself - and then even better. YESH!

Upvote 0
Without a question, the influence thing and the anti-super stack measures strike my fancy. In fact, I've always thought provinces should have limited capacity when it came to the number of units in them (24 armoured divisions in Luxembourg, anyone?)

I also griped about situations like that. It was odd that ships and aircraft had stacking penalty, but with ground forces it was either nonexistant or you had to have like 2000 divisions in one province to get even the penalty, even though sometimes those situations were bit hilarious.

Upvote 0
You can still stack alot of units in a small province but the number of units that can engage in combat is less. but at the same time the reserve units can be brought up if one of the active units is eliminated/retreats/whatever. So there is still a bonus to have a large stack, its just not a instant win anymore.

Atleast thats how i understand it.

Upvote 0
Ugh, I've started playing HoI2 again a bit recently and while it can be great fun there are a few things that after two expansions and all the accompanying patches still annoy the hell out of me and seem trivial to fix.

Air units are the biggest problem. Being only able to select an area for any air mission (especially ground attacks) is ridiculous because of the way they seem to automatically choose the worst possible target in that area. 5 retreating Soviet divisions with no organization right on the front line a good ground attack target? No, go for the 20 that are fully dug in with AA support at the far extent of the area!

Likewise for some inexplicable reason air forces that are based in a province instantly disappear without a trace if it is captured by the enemy as if they would have absolutely no idea that maybe they should evacuate the air field without direct orders from the commander of all armed forces. It just adds unnecessary micromanagement that is neither fun nor realistic, especially with provinces that are vulnerable to amphibious invasion so one podunk British infantry division can make four tactical bomber wings go poof with no warning. The AI, of course, is able to automagically relocate its wings. Why no such service could be provided for the human player I have no idea.

Anyway, hopefully HoI3 will fix some of the little things that have lingered forever in addition to all these ambitious new features.

Upvote 0
I hope they would improve the combat system so that defensive units might not be completely ****ed up against slight majority. The way it is now you can simply just stack as many units as possible in attack and the defender has no real way to survive unless the place has like 10 land forts\mountain area and tons of divisions.

Even though it's fun to simply rush through the maginot line with tons of infantry once in a while, the fact that the gameplay ends up often being own kind of zergrush is somewhat annoying, especially when the AI knows no IC limits. Kinda like large puppets and their capability to produce more units than you can :p

Upvote 0
I hope they would improve the combat system so that defensive units might not be completely ****ed up against slight majority.

While waiting for HOI3, you should check out the Total Realism Project mod. They reworked the numbers for all the units, so that battles aren't over in 2 hours anymore and you actually have to USE airpower and breakthroughs. Also the enemy now defends in depth and not just right along the front. It's a totally different experience, much more challanging, but also much more satisfying when you pull things off. Battles are no long won by just throwing stacks of infantry at the enemy with no regard for command limits, etc.

There's a whole host of other changes too. My favorite is the new, much more plausiable and favorable event that occurs on a successful Sealion and Axis victory in North Africa.

Upvote 0
They reworked the numbers for all the units, so that battles aren't over in 2 hours anymore and you actually have to USE airpower and breakthroughs.

Well I pretty much 'fixed' some stuff by changing values myself and modifying some other minor stuff to have something similiar and then applied DAIM, but that sounds worth trying :)

Upvote 0

that's SSI :rolleyes:

I remeber there was an old Panther Games game called Fire-Brigade, that was realtime, pauseble that had frontages. And you only controlled the high up formations. The AI controlled the lower level brigades etc. That was sweet. The old SSG games I'm thinking of worked like that as well

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fire-brigade/screenshots

if you set narrow frontage, the AI controlled elements clung closer together etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
that's SSI :rolleyes:

I remeber there was an old Panther Games game called Fire-Brigade, that was realtime, pauseble that had frontages. And you only controlled the high up formations. The AI controlled the lower level brigades etc. That was sweet. The old SSG games I'm thinking of worked like that as well

http://www.mobygames.com/game/fire-brigade/screenshots

if you set narrow frontage, the AI controlled elements clung closer together etc

Ha well it's been a while since I played thought it was SSG sorry:D

Upvote 0