• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quake live

Took me some attempts to get through the log-in queue and to get to that skill-placement match. I managed to do the rocket-jump but couldn't do the long corridor. The skill-placement instructor bot lady thing beat me 15 to 12. This is so embarassing. I played against nightmare bots not too long ago and I beat those easily. I would probably play Quake Live now, but after that match it crashed on me. Said my account wasn't active. :p

I'll try again later. The tutorial levels I have seen so far looked really gorgeous and with matchmaking I might even find opponents who suck as much as I do.:)
I'm more of a UT2004 guy but this is a great alternative.

EDIT:
Quake Live will return shortly
^ I guess that's why evaluating my results didn't work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It plays very well on-line, net code and all that, which is one good reason to go for it.
Quake 3 was always a bit hit or miss on the lag/ping thing.
Keep in mind that its still a beta, and will be free, "when its done".

I think ID saw that there was a hole in a market that they themselves created, they have caught everyone on the hop by filling this hole with something original (Doom/Quake) at no extra charge for the people.

Fragging at its best.
GG.

Upvote 0
So, is there any info on when they expect this to be playable without having to wait 30 minutes? I really don't want this game to be that big of a deal. I want to open it, play a round or maybe two if the company is fun and be done with it. Seeing a queue of 40k just makes me start something else in the meantime (e.g. mapping) and then I leave the queue because I don't care for Quake enough anymore.
I mean, it's a great game once you're in it, but this queue is more than a minor annoyance to overcome.

Upvote 0
Quoted from this thread:

We obviously didn't intend for tens of thousands of people to have to wait in the queue, but it was put in place for a reason, and that was so once you made it to the site, it still performed fairly well and didn't crash under heavy loads, which for the most part has worked well. We apologize for the frustration a line causes, but it will be in place until we can scale and optimize our back-end to accommodate "everyone." This is our top priority right now and when we get to that point, there will be no queue. You can certainly trust us on this - for a game funded by advertising revenue, we don't want a queue keeping you out anymore than you want it.

Rest easy, i am sure they did not intend for Quake Live to have a 30 minute wait.

I installed Quake III on Steam and it felt clunky and horrible. The netcode was especially vile.

Upvote 0
It's better this way than to scare off people with laggy gameplay and a slow site. And I have to say, while it lasted for me this afternoon, the gameplay was perfectly smooth both in terms of framerates and net performance so no complaints here.

People, if you have the slightest itch for Quake, check Quake Live out. You won't be dissapointed.
EDIT: Place 10k atm.:p
EDIT: Crashed during the skill assessment again...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This has only happened since the beta went public.
Before the "update" I was in and out with just a couple of clicks and the server browser updating was automatic and rapid.

Whats more, all previous achievements have been reset, I believe.

Lots of traffic.
I'll wait for America to sleep...

Upvote 0