• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best of 2008

Best of 2008

• Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Audiosurf

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Call of Duty: World at War

• Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

• Civilization IV: Colonization

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crysis Warhead

• Fallout 3

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Far Cry 2

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Left 4 Dead

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Prince of Persia

• Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Spore

• Total voters
yeah i see it's picked up a couple more votes now- that and fallout would be the only games in the list that really interest me except i really should upgrade first -
how does clear sky rate with the first one Gro?

Its pants!

It has a lot of gameplay issues (bad design desitions really), but thease can all be solved by modders, the real problem with it is the technical difficulties, namely that it loves crashing to the desktop any chance it gets, and i doubt any modders can fix that.

With the right patches and mods, it may still become a worthy successor to SoC, but it's not there yet..

And no, i haven't voted for it, or anything else really, i haven't played about half the games on that list because of the damned DRM.
I'm not sure what i'd vote for, 2008 was hardly a good year for PC gaming.

Upvote 0
I got hooked on TF2 late 07/early 08, and then got hooked back on CSS for a while, so I didn't really play any of the releases. I did get my hands on L4D at the release though, and that is always good to play, so I'll put that as my vote.

As far as films go, there's been quite a few good'ns this year. Early '08, from what I can remember I really enjoyed the effect of Cloverfield in Imax. The Dark Knight, Taken, 21, Wanted, Iron Man, Wall-E, Eagle Eye, are the films that entertained me throughout 2008. Not forgetting Pineapple Express aswell, as being a teenager (God forbid) myself I couldn't stop laughing at this movie. My favourite is between The Dark Knight and Taken, but I'm going to have to go with Taken. I've never really been a fan of Batman, and the think that made me love The Dark Knight was the Joker and Christian Bale playing the role, but Taken impressed me throughout, and the action and story are 20/20.

Music. The only new music I've gotten this year is Hardstyle albums, which is my second love after Death Metal. I'm still in love with my older albums, and I'm sure they'll keep me going for atleast another few years.

Upvote 0
Best game for me MGS 4.

Most dissapointing game probably GTAIV its pretty much gta3, it lacks innovation the gta system doesnt feel new to me anymore, and the shooting and driving systems are pretty old compared to other games.
(Although i guess open world games are not for me)

--
On pc havent been interested in many new releases.
Left 4 Dead is fun but feels really repetive if you played the demo you've seen it all.
Played portal for the first time, it was pretty fun but i guess i was too impatient and finished the game in 3 hours, when i thought i wasnt even halfway nearly :X

Upvote 0
Its pants!

It has a lot of gameplay issues (bad design desitions really), but thease can all be solved by modders, the real problem with it is the technical difficulties, namely that it loves crashing to the desktop any chance it gets, and i doubt any modders can fix that.

With the right patches and mods, it may still become a worthy successor to SoC, but it's not there yet..

And no, i haven't voted for it, or anything else really, i haven't played about half the games on that list because of the damned DRM.
I'm not sure what i'd vote for, 2008 was hardly a good year for PC gaming.

thanks for info - the lack of excitement over CS in contrast to SoC suggested i wasn't missing much.

and agreed, 2k8 wasn't that inspiring for me either, the only thing recently i've fancied playing is mass effect ( which ,if im not wrong and the PC version was a 2008 release, i guess would be a valid choice for the list?)
However your comments on DRM remind me of a question - i see cheap copies of ME 2nd hand- however was worried it may not work if the cd key is regestered to another account (in true EA style) - googling shows it has (or had) 3x activation limit but it was also suggested that subsequent activations be made with different user account id's.

not sure about that - does anyone here know the score?

Upvote 0