• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well like everyone I know little about the next game yet i'm one of the 'some not worried' types

Thats because personally i feel I still have an unequalled game in the shape of RO: nothing else has come close to it since and it still satisfies, for me the games visuals in no way hamper the gameplay and atmosphere so I don't feel it needs remaking at all.

However theres still plenty of reknown ostfront scenarios and battles that haven't been mapped, and now I guess never will be, and that's both a surprise and a shame

I imagine thats due to the insecurity over RO's future but alot of this is phaps due to worring over this 2nd game issue. Also having three major mods all reletivly similar to the game hasn't helped - although if RO becomes total stagnent updates to MN from devs or 3rd party contributors will largely compensate personally speaking - as for me that mod feels almost like a follow on to RO in spirit.

Also regarding 'RO2' I try not to get too wound up with things over which Ihave no control anyway - so while information would be interesting I don't foam at the mouth in it's absence which is the impression I get some might do after reading some frankly rabid posts.

Phaps this is part due to the fact i am convinced remaking RO would actually be a v. bad move and a can't win option no matter what kinda job TWI do on it, and if they have half the brains i credit them with they would have sussed this a while ago.

It's my opinion that the immediate tears and tantrums if the next game is not announced as 'RO2' would ironically be nothing compared to the sh!tstorm from the very same ppl if it is.
Follow-ups/remakes nearly always deeply disappoint the core support of the 1st game, particularly if the origional was niche or groundbreaking so christ imagine the reception RO2 would get.

Upvote 0
RO2 could be fine with the old core support if it was just more of the same but better. RO still has it's rough edges in quirks/bugs.

NEW ENGINE - better graphincs (not that RO is bad), better performance (if you don't crank the graphics to crysis level). Better graphics.. while I'll be the first to say RO is fine for me... better looking never hurts for getting in new players.

Update damage model/physics (big time engine related) - building damage, tank damage model, no more uber fences etc.. Falling to your death in a building that a tank took out the first floor in... heh

Fix all the old quirks - clipping and deployment my biggie. Nothing like your MG looking clear and game thinks it's clipped, so when you fire bullets hit invisable wall. No recoil SMGs, MG sites,

Enhancements - adjustable sites (no more site blocking view for MG), real ATG guns, real mortars etc.
-------
I'd buy that put into the old RO for full price even if it is a remake.

IMO RO has become stagnent, same **** different map to put it bluntly even though I still love the game. If new maps were the hot ticket to players, you wouldn't have Danzig and Arad still packed and the new mods empty except for fight nights. To really freshing things up you need a new engine with new capabilities to give the players a new range of things to do. With that the community map makers also get whole new set of tools to play around, extending the release even further in the way they did with RO by thinking up content TWI didn't think of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suspect there would be more than a few pissed off guys if Game 2 is not RO2 (me included).

@ Tontoman, I agree 100%. Doesn't have to be a massive change to what we have, just fix things, new maps and give us some new features.

Having a crappy start to work today so:

[Rant]
But at the end of day, no one except the devs know whats happening.
Just seems strange there is no news.
If I was being cynical, I could say they are not telling us news because it might make some of us angry (and maybe even leave the community).

I think the last major update was the Lysekrovy patch (coincided with a free play spell). So that was definately over a year ago.
I don't count the Krivo map / fixes as a major update (losing buddies, server list broken etc)

Oh and Pop Up exploiting is still there :mad: I wish this could be fixed. The clan community is riddled with this and it would take an army of Admins to stop this happening.
[/Rant]

Upvote 0
You've ben working on this "Game 2" for more than 2 years now, I'm sure you have something to show :) So come on just tell us or even hint us something.

I'm afraid sometime in 2009 you'll announce the game and 5 months later the game will come out like Ostfront :D Let us build the hype, it may very well be the next great game on PC's.

Reactions: Pyros777
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.