• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New map ( Need Input/Ideas )

slavek

Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2006
UnrealEd: Viewport #1
Title says it. I have been planning/getting ideas and getting materials for a new map. Since I have yet to see any thing like it yet in RO, my theme is a Pacific/tropical theme, Preferably an island. The ground will be variable(Think Iwo Jima with the mountain on one end with some low beaches and some jungle lowlands, etc).

At the moment I am just gathering textures and static meshes to use and getting the basic lay out made in the editor. After I get the basic map made, I may try to get permission from mod authors to use certain weapons for later builds. I just want to ask for input from the community(Weather(Clear/Rainy/Overcast) Time of day(Night, Day, Twilight, Dawn) Weapons, Vehicles, Objectives, etc.). The map is fictional and will not be following any particular historical battle so feel free to throw out ideas disregarding historical accuracy. :)

Last edited:
Well you could do a "Guns of Navorrone" (sp) (Alistair Mclean) style map, and pop it on an island. which if you havent seen it is a naval guns protect straits and Special forces go in from other side of island to take itout, finishing with a slug fest in the Gun Room, and maybe a switch back to starting point to allow Axis to chase allies off island, (i can see Axis on motorcycle chase here!, and the ol tater Zis truck with allies in it racing thru hills!:) like Metal storm Pacific edge :)

But thats my 10 cents worth

Upvote 0
Have a couple of screen shots of what I have made so far. Not detailed(Have not added many SM and display are on lower setting, Fog needs adjusting.), just a basic layout. Terrain Foliage is forced so that players can't turn it off, that way people can use it for cover & Fps seems ok for me with my GF 6 series card. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since it looks like you are importing treemodels yourself, check what Guppy did on Ardon to create something denser.

ardon1.jpg

Upvote 0
Beta1 is now on AKA battlegrounds server (208.167.251.153:7757)

Its just a test version so obj were just thrown in for testing purposes. So feel free to check it out.

Known issues:

*Ground sometimes plays metal foot steps.
*Cricket is still awake in day version ;)
*Some left over allied test vehicles are scattered in night version.
*Some floating trees and a few rocks that need to be fixed
*Typo in custom classes.

Upvote 0