• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst war film ever made?

I'm probably going out on a limb here, but I really really couldn't stand "Starship Troopers"

Yeah, I know it's sci-fi, but who the hell invades a planet with ONLY infantry. No armor, no air support. Even the bugs could fly (yes, the insects had total air superiority).

In the book it was a moot point, since the mobile infantry were all in powered armor that could practically fly.

Upvote 0
Sure but Starship Troopers is not a real war movie imo it is more an action film.

If you know the book it is even more ovbvious maybe they misinterpreted the book and turned it something completley different or they just took the inspiration from the book and made an great action movie.
For me it is still a good action movie I think it is very well done in many ways like the special effects, customs and the overdone cheesyness :D

On the other hand what do you guys consider a good war movie?

I liked Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Upvote 0
Didnt read the book mate. Will look out for it though, sounds pretty interesting!

Yeah you HAVE to read the book. The movie was a complete travestry. Here's a little bit from Wiki:

"There is a vast divergence between the original book and film. A report in an American Cinematographer article around the same time as the film's release states the Heinlein novel was optioned well into the pre-production period of the film, which had a working title of Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine; most of the writing team reportedly were unaware of the novel at the time. According to the DVD commentary, Paul Verhoeven never finished reading the novel, claiming he read through the first few chapters and became both "bored and depressed."

So basically they did the same thing they did to I,Robot. Take a crappy script that has somehow made it into pre-production. Pick a famous piece of sci-fi litereature that your film company happens to own the rights to. Slap the title from the classic onto the piece-of-trash script that you have in the works, and shoehorn in some token references from the classic novel.

Upvote 0
So what, the movie is awesome. Maybe a travesty, but obviously on purpose and freaking hilarious. You can watch it for it's parodical value (if you don't feel that to be too 'artsy fartsy') or just for it's awesome splatter action.

Kubrick's The Shining is also very different from the novel by Steven King, but it's still great and I'd say it's even better than the novel. Some movies stay close the books they're based on, some don't. Both can be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On Starship Troopers.

I disagree, not only was it a bad war movie (as I said, who goes in with only infantry), but it was also a bad action movie and horrible adaption of the book (though I don't politically agree with the book, it was a great book).

Maybe you can argue it's a great "bad movie" like "Plan 9 from Outer Space" or "Big Trouble in Little China"

But I wouldn't call it a great action movie. For a great sci-fi action movie that makes a modicum of sense and even has military aspects - watch the original Predator or Aliens (but not Predator vs. Aliens).

Upvote 0
This is obviously a matter of hate it or love it.

Like Bluehawk said the movie took the ideas from the book and turned them upside down, which I found rather great, even though I read the book and somewhat liked it. The cheesyness with the college movie crap, it just mixes perfectly with the violence and the rest of the propaganda aesthetic. It's like a Nazi movie meets Beverly Hills 90210 and with space bugs... just plain hilarious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0