• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community Brainstorm: Death

How about when you die you view is locked to the eyes of your dieing soldier. When your avatar virtually dies or 3 seconds from respawn time your screen goes black. During the time in between your avatar moves around in visible agony and yells or screams depending on area of wound. If you get hit with a head shot, instant black screen. I think this would go a long way to building sympathy for your avatar which would provide a level of fear of death.

Upvote 0
How about when you die you view is locked to the eyes of your dieing soldier. When your avatar virtually dies or 3 seconds from respawn time your screen goes black. During the time in between your avatar moves around in visible agony and yells or screams depending on area of wound. If you get hit with a head shot, instant black screen. I think this would go a long way to building sympathy for your avatar which would provide a level of fear of death.

The game would get a +18 rating and you know how the media thinks about those games. I like the idea though.

Upvote 0
imo the best way to increase fear of death is to increase immersion in the game, not giving rewards or punishments which would be discriminating for occasional players.

In the current game, being the last alive of your team does make you fear death. To be able to dramatize individual responsabilities toward team would be great. I have no precise idea on how, but I guess its a "level design" question.

Upvote 0
How about just have the time you spend waiting to respawn you only have the option of seeing through your avatars eyes. This would build anticipation by letting the player see what he is missing and make them want to stay alive longer. This would approach the issue from the other side by making the player want to stay alive instead of fearing death.

Upvote 0
You are forgetting that the goal of the game is not staying alive, but defending/attacking objectives, sometimes at the cost of your life.

Need not punish player more than already done for dying.
But I'd appreciate further increase of immersion to make players avoid being shot at. Let close bullets/nades have bigger suppression effectt. And less effect if you are behind actual cover.

Upvote 0
To really change the dynamics of the game, which right now have most players care less about their lives until reinforcements are out...is to make each personal death count as a TK.

So, everytime you kill a teammate and everytime you are killed, you get closer to the auto-kick.

Can you imagine how many times the team on offense would never win? No one would want to die! Everyone would hide in their spawn zone and drink Schnapps or Vodka. :)

Upvote 0
What i would prefer seriously.

Would be an individual reinforcements pool that can change actively during the game.

Like for certain (team) archievements you can gain more reinforcements.

And that dying as some classes costs you more reinforcements than others.
Smgs are supposed to attack and will often die faster so they should be able to respawn more than say a sniper or mg.

With a server remembering per round what a players reinf pool was so reconnecting doesn't help to get new reinf if you're out.
And for new players that join (or old ones that left with a higher than average reinf amount) will get the average reinf amount of the team.

Maybe due to the team game basis an ability to give people reinforcements of yourself to others.

Upvote 0
What about if your score drops below 0 (-1 for a death) your role becomes available again, and someone else could spawn as that class. maybe that way those who are good with classes get to keep them longer, but everyone still has chances to be what they want. might add a little incentive to stay alive while not going to far from the way things are now. I also like the idea about some maps having the defenders start with less reinforcement %.

Upvote 0
Dying frequently is not the same thing as fearlessness. It's largely a matter of experience. Nobody wants to get shot in the face here, so "fearing death" is a red herring, in my opinion. What I think the underlying "fear" is here is that a) someone else is using up your reinforcements and you don't think it's fair or b) someone else is sucking so much that you want to blame them personally for losing a map because c) if everyone was as awesome as you then this game would be super cool.

Upvote 0
if you die, you have to sit through the loading screen again for 2 more minutes. :rolleyes:

I think the fact that you respawn so far away from where you died....usually...that the "fear of death" is ok.
NOOOOOO they have that in Poject reality (mod for bf2) (but it is more of a penalty system in most cases) and it is TERRIBLE so many ppl complained i think they got rid of it the very next "small update" I THINK they may still ahve it for all i know but irember EVERYONE hated it, think about it just staring at a screen for 2 min waiting for respawn, it doesnt sound long on paper but trust me 30 seconds is bad enough. ESPCIALLY in the case of spawn rape

Upvote 0
OK, this might take a bit of work on TWI's part, but how about just having realistic injuries. So when you die you'll respawn like normal (a WWII game wouldn't work without 200 players otherwise). But if you get shot in the leg you'd have a gnarly hole blown there and you'd have to limp through the rest of the map until you died. Or if you can shot in the arm your accuracy would drop way down. Let's give you at least a good 10 seconds of screeming in place before you can act. This would make people fear bullets in general, not just death. :p

Upvote 0
OK, this might take a bit of work on TWI's part, but how about just having realistic injuries. So when you die you'll respawn like normal (a WWII game wouldn't work without 200 players otherwise). But if you get shot in the leg you'd have a gnarly hole blown there and you'd have to limp through the rest of the map until you died. Or if you can shot in the arm your accuracy would drop way down. Let's give you at least a good 10 seconds of screeming in place before you can act. This would make people fear bullets in general, not just death. :p

Actually there are sort of realistic injuries in RO:OST.

Severe wounding=inacapacitation=>respawn.

It most certainly would not be realistic (unlike you suggest), if you could "limp through" with "a gnarly hole blown there" on your leg, would it?

Hmmm...why are we having this conversation on RO:OST forum? :confused:

Ideas presented here won

Upvote 0