• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best tactical game?

[VFD]HH

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
So for the past few months, I have been playing mostly Commandoes: Behind enemy lines, and Silent Hunter III, and long story short, I've gotten to good at both of these games to really get enjoyment from them. So I am planning on probably going back into pretty extensive RO:Ost playing, but before I did, I was wondering what the market was like, since I have been behind.

Basically, what are the good tactical shooters and tactical strategy these days, that have exciting combat as well as being simulation like.
To give criteria, long story short, are there any tactical shooters or combined arms games with better quality than RO:Ost, and are there any Tactical strategy games out there that are Total War like, but don't have the enormous (balance) faults that ruined total war for me?

To give more explanation, whenever I ask the first question to most of my friends, they recommend CoD4. I have seen it played and tried it (not much though), and it seems like a run and gun/spray and pray type game trying to be tactical. It is better than CoD2, but in both cases RO:Ost is still light years ahead in terms of the infantry combat. Furthermore, I find modern combat less interesting. I have thought about trying the various other shooters mentioned (ArmA, insurgency, Resistance and Liberation, and most of all, WWIIOL), but from reading this forum, it always seems these games have more bad than good going for them, and that more people dislike than like them. To be honest, WWIIOL is at the top of my list, because it is even more combined arms than RO, and the non-infantry sections are handled apparently done to even higher detail than RO. However, I hear the infantry is pretty stale.

In terms of Tactical strategy games, I loved Shogun and Medieval, and at first loved RTW. I ended up playing it multiplayer, and ended up in one of the bigger clans (alias Wolf_Headhurler / Wolf_HH), and did quite well. However, in the end, I realized that every single Total war except shogun game has been more about using specific game dynamics than actual real battlefield skill of any kind. This wouldn't have been to bad, except CA was clearly not listening to the multiplayer side of things, and the games were getting worse, so I refuse to buy games from them anymore. Thus, I was wondering if there was any games like MTW, which were done better and more balanced, and had good online play?

Any tips on games in either genre, and why you think I would enjoy them, would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna go ahead and give a link to my website again, since i discuss tactical shooters on there that i think are great, and wrote my own reviews for them.
So instead of just saying 'this is great' you can read why i think it is great, and watch some gameplay footage as well (comes with every review).
Most demo's of those games can be found in the demo section (through links mentioned there).
Website can be found here: http://www.freewebs.com/tacticalgamingrefuge/

Upvote 0
SWAT4 is pretty good, though I hated the overemphasis on non-lethal force in the campaign. Some of the MP modes are pretty good.

I think that made it great. But I noticed later that hesitation can kill you so I learned to love my bean bag shotgun and screw the normal, lethal weapons. With less-lethal weapons you can always fire :)

Upvote 0