• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Music] Spotify

Rossa

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
Sweden
Well, it looks like it's just a matter of time before Spotify's gonna hit big.. I've been using it for almost a week now and I'm impressed as hell! It's imho the best thing to happen to music since Napster (dunno if that means anything to you youngins?), but this time around it's completely legal! :rolleyes:

The lowdown's: Spotify is a music player that allows you to search for and stream music. The range of artists and albums is staggering (due to the backing of several of the biggest record companies, Universal, EMI, Warner, Sony etc.)
You can either get a free account that plays commercials after a couple of songs (every sixth song I've heard) - OR - Get a premium account that's free of ads! Sadly the free accounts are invite only at the moment, but they are not impossible to find. But the premium account is WELL worth the 9

So basically it's a copy of Last.fm? :p

To be honest, I've never really paid much attention to Last.fm in the past :eek:
But apparently spotify and last.fm works together like a charm as the software scrobbles your playlist. Like I said, I don't know much about last.fm.. but isn't that more like a place to discover and listen to something like 30 second clips of bands and artists? :confused:
Spotify is like a huge library where you (in most cases) gets to listen to every song and every album :)

[URL=http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spotifyhasselhoffru0.jpg][/URL]

Not enough hass though.. :(

Upvote 0
Nope, Last.fm has free full tracks to. Basically, it "scrobbles" every track you listen to, and gives you a list of the music you listen to, etc. You can also discover new music by listening to the radio. Every tag and every artist has its own radio. For example you can listen to the "death metal" radio, or the "Coldplay" radio, and you'll get similar songs. Good quality too. You can listen to those stations on the website but I prefer listening in the software (which also scrobbles your music, and boots at the same time you load your music player). Not EVERY song is in full track form though, most are just 30 seconds. So you can't listen to a full album in most cases. But it's perfect for discovering new music. http://www.last.fm/

I'll check out Spotify...

Upvote 0
Ah, well it's kinda what I thought.. it's mainly a tool for discovering new bands :)
I've read a lot of comments by people saying that spotify and last.fm makes for a powerful combo. One missing feature in spotify is the ability to find "similar artists", but when you already know what to search for it's fricking awesome :D

Upvote 0
I don't really like Spotify most of the music I listen to isn't available on there.

I much prefered Pandora.com to bad they closed it for non US citizens :(

I've read somewhere that they add 10.000 new songs every day, but they need to get more obscure record labels to sign on before they can fully cater the taste of every user as musically deranged as Svedberg :p

Upvote 0
It isn't about how extreme the music is but rather a matter of getting the record labels aboard and converting the albums to ogg and adding them to the database. Sooner or later most music will be there, I'm sure.
You'll be happy to know they've added 9 albums with Dimmu Borgir.. (I'd forgotten how awesome the intro to "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" really is :eek:)

Upvote 0