• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst war film ever made?

The-Green-Berets.jpg

Upvote 0
well what makes a war movie a bad war movie. Does it lack entertainment or lack accuracy or both? Personally Pearl Harbor failed at both for me (wtf where are the minisubs?). SPR was good due to its great entertainment and was mostly accurate. In the Thin Red Line all I ever got from the movie was that there was a hill with 3 japanese on it manning a machine gun with infinite bullets, some whiney b*tch who kept reading a letter near a truck somewhere, and a trench. Does Operation Condor count as a war movie? That one is ace :D

Upvote 0
Gods & Generals
Not only was it lacking in good action sequences, but the 2 hours of love story almost put me to sleep. Worst part about seeing it in theaters for me was the film getting messed up with 45 minutes left.....dont think anyone went back the next day to watch the end :D real shame, i was expecting more from the makers of the civil war classic "Gettysburg". :(

Dirty Dozen: Deadly Mission & Dirty Dozen: Fatal Mission
why these sequals were made, i do not know......telly savalaa looks old and fat, and in "Fatal Mission", erik estrada?!?!?! just brings back horrible images of the TV show "CHIPS" oh Ponch....and the plots? dont even want to go there :D

S.S. Doomtrooper
why the scifi channel should never be allowed to make war movies. :rolleyes:

Battle of the Bulge (yes again)
jeez, i mean even "Kelly's Heros" had historically accurate tanks.

The Battle of the Last Panzer
according to this movie, american bazooka's can take out a tiger from the front in one shot. see, i knew DH messed up on those bazookas!!! :D

Valkyrie
A great story butchered with terrible acting......tom cruise, you disgust me. "Defiance" has got to be better than this or i give up on modern war movies!!!

these are just a couple that came to my mind....on a side note, my vote for most amusing war movie goes to "STRIPES"!!!!! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just saw U-571 again on tv yesterday, it has it's nice share of entertainment but gawd it can be frustrating at moments.
the story could have been great, but it's spoiled by hollywood BS such as instantly blowing up a german destroyer with 1 torpedo to the front in a giant gasoline explosion... or having a whole bunch of 2.5cm AA guns firing at the exposed submarine without scratching it...
many scenes seem copy-pasted from "das-boot" and "red october" wich is ok i guess, but still the movie fails in getting anywhere close to the immersion feeling of those 2 classics.
what saves it is the nice visuals and ok acting.
the funniest is at the end though where the movie is dedicated to those who gave their lives to capture the enigma machine, wich is honorable. but it also reminds those who know, that this movie has absolutely nothing to do with how the enigma was actually captured

Upvote 0
You can't judge warmovies without devide into seperate classes.
Hollywood can't make a war movie without a lovestory. Otherwise they would only have man in the cinema's and that won't sell....

One must consider the time they where made. Early 50 movies where
made to loosly tell the story to the homefront. As wounds where fresh
you won't see to much suffer.

Later on movies will shown more about the
cruel of war. The first 30 minutes of SPR showed the brutality and suffer
the first Omaha waves had to deal with.

An example of a worse warmovie is The Eagle has landed with goold old Larry Hagman. (JR Ewing) Damned that movie is bad.

Its sad that Hollywood didn't made a decent Pearl Harbor movie as the subject deserve a better movie. But as always its the money which decide whats to be made and they had to have some woman in the theatre....

Upvote 0
I think everone trashing Saving Private Ryan is overdoing it. Worst war movie ever? What? SPR's filmmaking was kind of revolutionary at the time. The grittiness, the "shakey cam" style, etc were new things for major Hollywood pictures. While the characters are a bit of a cliche, they're acted very well, and you do grow attached to them. The action was top notch too.

I think you need to think about what makes a good movie. It seems that most people here are reaching for realism. Realism is good, but if you're REALLY looking for realism, go watch documentaries. Movies can take some artistic license, and it's alright if they jazz stuff up a bit.

Also, as others have said, The Thin Red Line was far too haughty. I also found it disjointed and kind of unfinished. After it was over, I kind of felt like "why did I just watch that?" I felt the same way with Jarhead too.

Upvote 0
The Thin Red Line is a great movie if you can understand it, yes it can be taken as a little artsy fartsy, but if you've read the book you'll understand what they were trying for with the movie, as the book has a lot of introspection from the soldiers involved and the movie tried to deal with this. The movie is not just about war it's an exploration of the men fighting the war, their motives, their character and their reaction to the nightmare unfolding around them. That's where it's biggest fault lies though, I think they tried to go for too wide a scope with the characterization, they should have concentrated on fewer characters from the book. All criticism aside though this film as no place among the pieces of **** you guys are talking about in this thread.

Bah, I completely understand The Thin Red Line... the director beats you over the head with his point in such a dull and uninspired way the meaning is totally lost in the bad acting and writing.

Only a moron would not understand the obvious meaning the director is trying to get across... do not feel special because you "get it". :p

I am sure the book is better, they always are... but I stand by my original statement that TTRL is an utter PoS and a waste of celluloid.

Seriously, Windtalkers was a better movie, if for no other reason than Dikoless Cage's lulzy (as usual) terrible acting.

Upvote 0