• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Basic Voip Squad System.

TWB*JimMiller

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2008
I had an idea for a basic squad system for the game that I would like to put forth. I have searched the forums and read many ideas, some good, some bad, some ugly. Ill let you guys decide what category my idea falls into.

Here's my idea. Create two additional voip channels for the server per side, name them squad 1 and 2 or whatever. Allow the SL to talk to both independently, similar to what most people do in vent or TS with whisper functions. Then allow the SL to place squad specific rally points on the map. This will not force teamwork on those looking to join up and tune out, but would allow those who would like to use more focused teamwork the chance to without completely taking over Voip.

Obviously I am not a programmer so I have no idea how difficult or practical this idea is. I know TWI is not working on features for game 1 so if anyone out there knows how to achieve this with a mutator, I would really like to talk to you.

Thats my idea, Ill go back to my cage now.

The idea itself sounds fine. The problem with it is that it relies on the squad leader as a central person. We all know that the squad leader position is just another role, and it's only luck of the draw that someone in the SL role knows what they are doing.

The leadership and VOIP tends to come from the rest of the team more times than not, from players who've been around longer, or from players who happen to know a map better.

Given that only a small percentage of the players on any given server tend to use VOIP at any given time, it is more important that the whole team can hear what is being discussed (even if they don't talk or won't talk), regardless of their role. Many of them will go where teamplayers are calling for help or identifying enemies, tanks etc. It helps the teamwork this way.

In my opinion your idea is good, just doesn't seem to lend itself to the type of gameplay needed in RO to cap or defend the zones with as many players as possible.

Upvote 0