• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Unstable connection with servers in RO

Nikolai

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
I played RO for a long time, a long time ago.
Recently I decided to start again, but I'm having some problems. When I try to connect to a server, the loading map screen appears as it should, but sometimes I lose connection to the server during loading, and it stops loading, but the loading screen stays, so I have to ctrl+alt+delete my way out of it. I assume it is because I lose connection to the server, because if it does finish loading (I have fixed the .ini file and everything, so I don't have long loading times) I lose connection to the server either imeadiately, or after a few seconds.
I do not, however, have a unstable net, it's just with RO, and it's mods, I have this problem.
I don't always have this problem, but just as often as not, and it makes it impossible to play (obviously). Anyone know how I can fix it?

Last edited:
I was just getting ready to post the same thing basically.

I have a cable connection, every other game i play runs smooth and fine, i mostly play Americas Army,Armed Assault, or COD and on all of these games everything runs smooth on high settings

This started to happen to me about a month ago with RO, ive been playing RO since the days it was just a mod for Unreal Tournament, but recently for some reason when i go to play RO my connection gets all crazy or shuts down.

When i load the game up everything is fine, as soon as i click on multiplayer it stalls for a second, then the news part of the multiplayer screen says can not connect, so then i click on the server screen, it takes a second to come up, it comes up, and i click on a server, the loading screen comes up, sometimes i losse connection during the black screen that says loading.

Other times i get into the actual server, after i pick my role and i spawn, i start to experience the worst lag ever, like the days of using a 56K modem, i start to run for a 100 yards then i lag back to the spot where i started from, other times ill start playing and then i basically lose connecting and everyone is standing still.

i dont know why this has started to happen, but i never ever expereinced this before on this game, it used to run nice and smooth, its just recently, its not my connection nor my computer, i used to be able to run R0 on all high settings, i got my computer somtimes after R0-Ostfront was released.

I hope someone can give me some helpful feedback, i miss playing RO lol, i also picked up my copy through steam about a year and a half ago or maybe longer, the game ran fine all of that time till last month, its def not my internet connection, nor my computer, i have a stable connection and like i said i do not experience this problem with any other games, nor with R0 until a month ago

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can get on a server, hit F6 and study the stats...
Look for packet loss...
in/out
ping and so-forth..

Deleting the client registry blob file may help.
Take RO/Steam out of your Firewall exceptions and then enable them once again.

You know, that sort of thing.

Might help, might not.

Upvote 0
Nope tried the things you listed, nothing fixed it, thank you though

I really dont understand what it could be, as soon as i get in a server i lose connection in mins, or my internet connection freezes while connecting, this does not happen on any other game that i own.

I guess its time to pack up red orchestra and put it in storage, the game is useless if you cant play it on the Internet.

Thanks for the speedy response tripwire

Upvote 0
If you can get on a server, hit F6 and study the stats...
Look for packet loss...
in/out
ping and so-forth..

Deleting the client registry blob file may help.
Take RO/Steam out of your Firewall exceptions and then enable them once again.

You know, that sort of thing.

Might help, might not.
It isn't like if it doesn't work the first time, I can just try over again and it will eventually work. Either it works that day, or it doesn't. The problem is there for hours at a time. And since it sometimes works perfectly, I doubt it could be my firewall or anything like that, as it's always on. And there neever are any problems with my net.

Upvote 0
Defrag'ed your cache files lately?
Right click on the game
select properties
select local files
select defragment cache files.

How about your hard drive. Has it been defragmented latetly?

Next time you connect, see what your disk activity looks likectivity...steady light or blinking....

Just a thought.
When I cannot connect properly to a server, I cannot do so for hours or maybe the whole day. But sometimes it works just as it should, and does that as well for a long period of time. Problems related to what you suggested would, however, be constant, and so it doesn't seem logical that they should have anything to do with my problem.

PS: I regularly defrag my hard drive ;)

Upvote 0
Same here... Grrr
Internet fine, other pcs fine (as usual) just RO can find the same server or sometimes any servers, or sometimes a hundred...hmmm
all within a few seconds of clicking again...(doesnt even find a 90 ping server..yet finds a 400 ping one

system fine, Disk access minor free hdu space 30gig or more..cache and .blobs done..

Upvote 0
Problems related to what you suggested would, however, be constant, and so it doesn't seem logical that they should have anything to do with my problem.

PS: I regularly defrag my hard drive ;)
Not necessarily. A lot depends upon whats already dumped into your page file, memory, etc.

Another thought might be a memory chip. Try running memtest. Are you overclocking your computer?

I suggest these things because you say do not have an unstable network. So there's no point in us suggesting network solutions.

Upvote 0