• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How are the ballistics calculated?

I remember one thread where conspiracy was unveiled

Poster claimed that tank shell arc is not gravity dependant but hardcoded to drop towards the bottom of the tank.

He managed to put a STUG on its side, and shells were deviating to the side rather than dropping down.

I never bothered to check that

Upvote 0
I remember one thread where conspiracy was unveiled

Poster claimed that tank shell arc is not gravity dependant but hardcoded to drop towards the bottom of the tank.

He managed to put a STUG on its side, and shells were deviating to the side rather than dropping down.

I never bothered to check that

That's no conspiracy that is just simplyfing for the ease of the coders and the performance, they used local coordinates (of the tank) instead of global the (whole world).

Upvote 0
Well all i know its its a top job well done by Ramm and the Gang, and the simple joy of an arcing projectile finding its mark (realistically and predictably) on a 50player server is a testament to your skill.
thanks

Btw is there a wise physical limit of Smg and LMG (and therefore Tank mGS) on one map, or are there "ballpark" estimates on limits to these?..

assuming 50player server?

Upvote 0
From what I recall, the bullet drop isn't calculated for the first 100 meters or something with high firing rate weapons to reduce server load. Since it's practically a straight line initially.

The maths are important, as it determines how much you need to lead your target.

I also recall doing some tests last year with the tank rounds, and finding they're muzzle velocity was half the real-world velocity - presumably because of the high velocity round issue Wilsonam mentioned.

Upvote 0
muzzle velocities of infantry weapons

muzzle velocities of infantry weapons

Some fun information about muzzle velocities (from wikipedia).

Axis infantry weapons:

k98: 760 m/s (2,493 ft/s)
G43: 775 m/s (2,543 ft/s)
stg44: 685 m/s (2,247 ft/s)
mp40: 380 m/s (1,247 ft/s)

MG34: 755 m/s (2,477 ft/s)
MG42: 755 m/s (2,477 ft/s)

Allied infantry weapons:

mn91/30: 800 m/s (2,625 ft/s)
svt40: 840 m/s (2,756 ft/s)
ppsh41: 488 m/s (1,601 ft/s)

DP28: 840 m/s (2,755 ft/s)

Upvote 0
From what I recall, the bullet drop isn't calculated for the first 100 meters or something with high firing rate weapons to reduce server load. Since it's practically a straight line initially.

The maths are important, as it determines how much you need to lead your target.

I also recall doing some tests last year with the tank rounds, and finding they're muzzle velocity was half the real-world velocity - presumably because of the high velocity round issue Wilsonam mentioned.
Correct on both counts.

Actual bullet flight in the first millisecond(s) is odd anyway, until the round stabilizes. It is near enough a straight line at those ranges that we do a simple trace to help keep the load lower.

And yes, we had to mess with the speed the tank rounds move in the game space, although they actually carry their "correct" velocities for calculation purposes.

Upvote 0
I have been killed by friendly ricochets a couple of times over the years, actually rather amusing and I always have a good laugh :p

I was shooting at a T34 from a Panther once -- AZ Map using AB Mutator. Another T34 was driving past my target -- relatively close. One of my projectiles bounced off the side armor of the T34 I was shooting at and hit the moving T34. The ricochet shot penetrated and destroyed the second T34. If I hadn't seen this myself and than seen my name pop up as the T34 killer, I wouldn't have believed it possible in a computer game.

Upvote 0
I was shooting at a T34 from a Panther once -- AZ Map using AB Mutator. Another T34 was driving past my target -- relatively close. One of my projectiles bounced off the side armor of the T34 I was shooting at and hit the moving T34. The ricochet shot penetrated and destroyed the second T34. If I hadn't seen this myself and than seen my name pop up as the T34 killer, I wouldn't have believed it possible in a computer game.
But is this a good thing ;) ?

Upvote 0
It was for me :D not so great for the T34 driver.

While pretty cool, I think Alan's point is that it's not particularly realistic that a ricochetting projectile could still penetrate tank armor. I would imagine in reality, it would be deformed, pointing the wrong way, and likely fragmented.

It would be fine to kill infantry and light vehicles, like trucks and universal carriers, but not armor.

Upvote 0
While pretty cool, I think Alan's point is that it's not particularly realistic that a ricochetting projectile could still penetrate tank armor. I would imagine in reality, it would be deformed, pointing the wrong way, and likely fragmented.

It would be fine to kill infantry and light vehicles, like trucks and universal carriers, but not armor.

:D heh...

I guess Alan can speak for himself. If I might be so bold as to speak for Alan, I’d guess he probably didn’t mean anything of the sort. I'd also guess that he knows quite well how realistic the event I described actually is. As to your point, it depends on a large number of factors. Unrealistic -- not in the least. Tracking ballistic trajectory following ricochet is a rather amazing aspect of the RO programming and is not only realistic, but it is “uber” realistic.

Ricocheting AP -- and even HE projectiles -- could and did easily kill tanks. Best example are shot traps and reentrant-angles in tank designs. Like the underside of a Sherman sponsoon; or Panther’s rather famous shot trap below the centerline of the mantlet (ever heard of Radley Walters crack Canadian Tank Ace?). Pershing actually had shot traps in the form of large lugs cast into its glacis.

Is something like this unlikely? Perhaps. But considering the amount of energy being carried by 75mmL70 pzgr it is not outside the realm of possibilities. A high obliquity hit and resultant ricochet wouldn't nessecarily equate to a hugh loss in kinetic energy or significant projectile deformation -- and it doesnt require a huge amount of remaining poop by 75mm pzgr to punch a hole in the lower side hull armor of a t34 or the like.

Given the fact I have only ever seen it happen once I'd say from a probability perspective it is again very realistic. Thumbs-up to Tripwire and RO-Realism!

Best Regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed... it is theoretically possible, just very unlikely. As Jeff said, it requires the round to retain enough energy, to not deform or break up - and to not start tumbling. On the other hand, I know one of the devs has had an instance where he was about 6 feet from an enemy tank, fired, round bounced straight back and killed himself. Now that isn't quite so possible ;)

Upvote 0
Indeed... it is theoretically possible, just very unlikely. As Jeff said, it requires the round to retain enough energy, to not deform or break up - and to not start tumbling. On the other hand, I know one of the devs has had an instance where he was about 6 feet from an enemy tank, fired, round bounced straight back and killed himself. Now that isn't quite so possible ;)

You are officially awarded The L

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... On the other hand, I know one of the devs has had an instance where he was about 6 feet from an enemy tank, fired, round bounced straight back and killed himself. Now that isn't quite so possible ;)

:p That is funny, because just this weekend on a map I am making, my son fired a round at a PzIV and it bounced off and destroyed a PzIII about 30 feet away from it. :D

Upvote 0

That was during the summer offensive testing, right?

Heh, I remember I had an invincible panther at one point; held off a full team of devs by myself :D

Upvote 0