• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

The part where they get ready to storm the hangar or whatever it is seemed to suggest that the AI got much better and cares for smaller things like buildings too now. No more awkward open field formations in urban areas! Mantling is a great addition to any game anyway. Carrying teammates seems like a smaller feature but it'll come down to how important it is going to be for the success in missions. I think it will be more important for co-op than for singleplayer. The cars seemed to behave a bit better and smoother.
I really hope there is a slider that lets one chose how much hectic head-cam wobbling one wants when moving. It was a bit extreme in some scenes.

Upvote 0
I believe scene with guys storming in is just a scripted cutscene. Just like the ones with newsreporters in ArmA. Still should be an improvement over ArmA though, at least we ARE in the cutscene, but still we can't interact.

Mantling seemed cool, I wonder how did they implemented it. Will AI use mantling or go around 1 km to catch me? :) Helicopter FM seemed a little smoother as well. The thing for me is these things are already done and just don't justify the name "ArmA 2" for me yet. Looking forward to see what else they have, hopefully something better.

Upvote 0
But to be fair, how many games out there offer as much as is in ArmA already? I mean yeah, BattleField has aircraft and vehicles too, but not to the extent as there are in ArmA.
How much more can you really get? Just asking ofcourse. There is definitely stuff i want, but when i see the mantling stuff implemented i've got a good feeling about the game. I'm sure they can think of some more stuff to add.

But personally, what i really want, is just to have that OFP feeling back again. I mean, there is already so much stuff in ArmA already, if they could just finetune it more, and add said features (good story, open-ended war, at least near the end, convo's with civvies, improved AI etc) i'm more then content.
I'd probably play nothing else for a long, long time, just like with OFP. (over 500 hours of just singleplayer in that one lol)

Upvote 0
I believe scene with guys storming in is just a scripted cutscene.
The hectic head-movement says you are right but my hopes say you are not. :)
Mantling seemed cool, I wonder how did they implemented it. Will AI use mantling or go around 1 km to catch me? :)
I hope players just have to walk over stuff and the animation plays on its own.

Upvote 0
But to be fair, how many games out there offer as much as is in ArmA already? I mean yeah, BattleField has aircraft and vehicles too, but not to the extent as there are in ArmA.
How much more can you really get? Just asking ofcourse. There is definitely stuff i want, but when i see the mantling stuff implemented i've got a good feeling about the game. I'm sure they can think of some more stuff to add.

But personally, what i really want, is just to have that OFP feeling back again. I mean, there is already so much stuff in ArmA already, if they could just finetune it more, and add said features (good story, open-ended war, at least near the end, convo's with civvies, improved AI etc) i'm more then content.
I'd probably play nothing else for a long, long time, just like with OFP. (over 500 hours of just singleplayer in that one lol)

Of course ArmA has an unrivalled scope, which is a quite a feat in itself. Though there is really a big room for improvement.

For me, OFP laid the "foundings"; infantry, armor, aircraft, AI. It was incredible and new for it's time so it did well. ArmA was an interim graphics and minor stuff update rather than a big improvement over what OFP brought, so that was ok for me too. I bought it even though I can't say I got what my money's worth.

ArmA 2 though,(or what it was called back then, "Game 2") was supposed to be BIS' game to really update OFP all around. The game to really improve on those "foundings" and take them to a deeper level. Since they had sorted out the graphics with ArmA, it was time to focus on gameplay and simulation. Add more details that make the game fun(too many examples for that, but eg barrel heating, simple FCS for vehicles, improved vehicle handling that is more believable, weapon usage modelling like Javelin missile . . .).

But no, "ArmA 2" is not that "Game 2" that once was hyped about. It's just a slightly polished up ArmA. That's why many people are disappointed in it. They were expecting something more detailed, or so to say "advanced" in gameplay terms.

Now if you liked ArmA, and found very enjoyable and played it throughly rather than spending %80 of your time modding it and looking for not-crappy missions to play with(my case), and you don't have anymore expectations at all but just more of it; I'm sure ArmA 2 will be pretty good for you actually.

But if you didn't really enjoyed it and found it soulless, but bought it just to see a "glimpse" BIS will be doing with ArmA 2(ArmA was a pretty good "glimpse" actually), then you're in the disappointed wagon with me as well.

I'm looking forward for the expected OFP2 information blow-out now, because at least it seriously promises to do what BIS couldn't(or wouldn't). And hope is a good thing :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm looking forward for the expected OFP2 information blow-out now, because at least it seriously promises to do what BIS couldn't(or wouldn't). And hope is a good thing :)
Yeah, i'm keeping hope for that aswell. All the features they have, or say to be in are stunning, so I really hope they can pull it off. After all, it's a multi platform game, so the fear of 'dumbing down' still exists for me.

Upvote 0
Well so far we have only 1 trailer, and a bunch of screenshots. So far there isnt that much in wich you can be disappointed, because the game isnt even out yet, and wont be for some time. I just dont get that you can be disappointed already, as no-one has seen how the promised features have turned out. It's a bit pre-emptive imo.
What baffles me even more is that people ARE looking forward to OFP2, wich so far has only shown renders and so far has only been all talk and no walk. Now i can understand that some of you would like a fresh wind, but i think that new wind can only smell odd since Codemasters is unproven.
The basics for realism and tactical stuff is at least there already for ArmA2, but Codemasters has to do all that stuff too, and on a racegame engine no less. I sincerely doubt it will be more then OFP1 was back in the day, or that it will do as much as ArmA2 will, because they have to start from scratch AND still have to get it right, while ArmA2 already has the right foundations.
And as you said, i hope they will build upon that, and improve the game into a worthy sequel for OFP.

Upvote 0
Well so far we have only 1 trailer, and a bunch of screenshots.
A trailer and a bunch of screenshots that draw a very conclusive picture: That ArmA2 is basically ArmA with a few new features and beefed up visuals. I highly doubt the final game will be substantially different than what we've seen here. Why would they release the trailer if it did not represent what we should expect? I don't know how OFP2 will turn out. But the fact that they had to start from scratch could also be gift: At least they are not trapped in the same mindset as BIS seem to be. They just don't seem to get it.

Upvote 0
My thoughts on this is i had expected/wanted more realism features (basic FCS ect). Now it looks like we get a pimped up ArmA with improved AI and a decent story and SP. I'll still get it mostly for the SP and what i've always liked about the BIS games, the coop. I wont be getting OFP2 no matter what becuse when it comes to OFP codies has acted like total asses and even if they manage to make a decent game (which i doubt) i have no respect for them and they dont deserve my money.

Upvote 0
Fire Control System(s). For example in modern combat, tank computer calculates target range and speed to adjust the gun elevation, and lead. Of course this can't be done with only one click in a simulation, there's some procedure before that but it can be simplified(Although, the ArmA addon "Nonwonderdog's FCS" DID simulate T-72 and M1A1 FCS *nearly* completely). Or how does AH-64 locks and guides it's missiles, and procedure for that. Every weapon controlled with a computer has a FCS.

Upvote 0