• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Valkyrie

aktionman

Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006
Having seen the Valkyrie cinema trailer for the first time yesterday, I was wondering if perhaps anybody knows which tank was used to represent the Panzer IV in the film?

The tracks on that tank are not the original ...

valkyrie-pziv.png

Quite funny that some old movies with their immersion breaking eguipment (Patton, The Big Red One and such) were still overall quite great :p

Not really, alot of thouse movies where packed full of acting talent, they where much more down to earth on more "about the people and what happened", and often had really cool practical effects (real explosions, not CGI), and didn't try to get all emotional about war, they where good, the inaccurate equipment was something you just looked past.

More modern war flicks usually comes with a side order of political agenda (even if its just "War is wrong, mmmkay?"), tries to crowbar in some awfull love triangle, are chock full of cookie cutter emotional moments you just know will be there at some point, like they have to meet a quota, and thouse "really spiffy'n kewl" CGI effects, i dont know what it is about them, they just allways feel artificial and horrible somehow, can't quite put my finger on it though, even now as they are getting really good at them, something is just off somehow..

Upvote 0
Not really, alot of thouse movies where packed full of acting talent, they where much more down to earth on more "about the people and what happened", and often had really cool practical effects (real explosions, not CGI), and didn't try to get all emotional about war, they where good, the inaccurate equipment was something you just looked past.

That was indeed the point of my post. Even with all immersion breaking eguipment and all cheesiness at some points, they were still overall quite damm great, in some cases far more superior than some modern movies.

Upvote 0
Well maybe war is indeed wrong:eek:?
Maybe it's not this side captures those obejctives and all the participants are really tough bastards and if they die you forgot about them 2 seconds later. How about that?

*sigh*

Everyone knows war is wrong, we dont really need to be told every time there's a war movie, we are well aware of the fact, just like we know canibalism and murder are not fun for the whole family but a bad thing.

Upvote 0
There are two ways of conveying that message (war is wrong):
It can either be done with whiney characters that get thrust into a whiney, overly dramatic story with pompous music and a love triangle that adds to the emotional pitfalls or as a matter of factly told war story.
The first hits you over the head with the message and in the end you even wonder if, if you take away the cheese and the slimey pathos, war really was that bad after all and the second just shows you what war is like and everyone in their right mind will get that war is bad.
Cross of Iron vs. Pearl Harbor

Upvote 0
i dunno, but i only like the old war movies because they usually had great actors and were simply made by talented people. now the combats scenes and historical accuracy was oftenly to be taken with a set of tweezers.
and what i hate about most of these 70's 80's war movies is that they seem to compete with each other on "who can destroy the most kubelwagens and opel blitz's" there usually doesn't go by more than 10 minutes without seeing a precious historical vehicle being crushed or blown up. i understand they were more easy to find back then, but now it's almost a crime looking back. while they took great care of "destroying" their poorly mocked up tanks lended by some country, with some harmless gunpowder or gasoline explosions 10 meters from the tank.
the more recent movies are usually improving the weak spots of the old movies, cgi or not, the combat scenes are more realistic and historical accuracy is respected better in general.
i don't know about modern movies being more dramatic, in pretty much all old war movies you had romanesque love stories and people dying in each others arms in an overdone manner.

Upvote 0