• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The Armed Assault thread

Which they probably wont, since they have no experience with these kind of games. And well, Codemasters wants money. So add 1 and 1 and what do you get?
I'd rather try(play) a new approach on the 'genre' than playing something that basically still is exactly the same as OFP(1). (I'll try both anyways, but if I for example had to choose).

Upvote 0
I watched the GameStar (German gaming magazine) preview earlier today. And they couldn't report too much new stuff but they want to make the campaign playable in COOP which could be pretty sweet if the missions are well done. You can revive your buddies and carry them away. I think I don't have to explain how awesome this will be.
Also the later missions in the campaign will be like the Warfare multiplayer modus, so this will be the inoffical sequel to Battlezone :p

Upvote 0
Hmm I for one never really enjoyed the tank missions, mostly because their wasnt much strategy behind it(thanks to the stupid tank hitzone system), I always prefered the covert ops or normal soldier missions(chopper missions were acceptable too). Probably the most memorable moments from OFP for me were the one where you have to flee from your workplace with your car from invading russians(tho that was resistance addon I believe) and in vanilla OFP where your support unit was kinda screwed up and you had to escape a Hind and ran into a forest. Then you were all alone in that forest and had to fight your way back, definitely the most atmospheric moment for me.

Upvote 0
Probably the most memorable moments from OFP for me were the one where you have to flee from your workplace with your car from invading russians(tho that was resistance addon I believe) and in vanilla OFP where your support unit was kinda screwed up and you had to escape a Hind and ran into a forest. Then you were all alone in that forest and had to fight your way back, definitely the most atmospheric moment for me.

I agree 100% with this

Upvote 0
dogbadger, make sure you get madmatts arma effects and sixth sense tracers and I recommend the Hifi FX soundpack

Yeah cheers i'll check that out - i'm up for trying addons as long as they don't prevent me joining standard games or they adversly effect my already poor performance.
Reminds me i'm a member of 6th sense - they run good cong coop servers sure their arma one is similar..

Originally Posted by DraKon2k
..... and in vanilla OFP where your support unit was kinda screwed up and you had to escape a Hind and ran into a forest. Then you were all alone in that forest and had to fight your way back, definitely the most atmospheric moment for me.
Long time ago now but was that quite early on when you had to make it to the port and abandon the island?
I remember being pinned down in the forest by a bmp- eventually i scrambled to a town and stole a car from a garage. i made it partway to dest. but got spotted by an afv and fired upon - had to abandon car and hot foot it through woods again whilst being hunted.
One of the best game moments i've ever had.

As to OFP2 / arma2 hate to say it but i hope a clear winner emerges here, at the expense of the other - theres getting to be too much around nowadays to sustain decent numbers online.
My heart would like it to be the bia product but i guess that would make the copy of arma i just bought redundant before i've started even getting into it.
Agree the codemasters effort should at least be a new take on the genre.

Upvote 0
I dont know how i'd feel with that 'new take' on the genre. Might be just my fear, but that's what got us Advanced Warfighter and Vegas.
I say stick to the old, but improve on it as much as you can and add tons of new stuff. It has been a long time since any game had a proper sequel, but time has proven that it IS possible.
Just remember what Rogue Spear did for the original Rainbow Six, or what Hidden and Dangerous 2 added to the original's experience. That's what should happen in my opinion, and not trying something radically new.

Upvote 0
From where do you get this CoD crap? Or are you referring to someone else.
Not to you, I just find it ridicolous when people bash other series like CoD for being more or less the same in the basics, but if it's a game they like(like OFP/ArmA) then it's ok of course.

Anyways. Sic-Disaster the thing is basically there's no looser. Because either OFP2 will pwn and everybody will be happy. Or if it won't then there still is 'oldschool' ArmA2. So basically everybody will be happy.

Upvote 0
Not to you, I just find it ridicolous when people bash other series like CoD for being more or less the same in the basics, but if it's a game they like(like OFP/ArmA) then it's ok of course.

Anyways. Sic-Disaster the thing is basically there's no looser. Because either OFP2 will pwn and everybody will be happy. Or if it won't then there still is 'oldschool' ArmA2. So basically everybody will be happy.

OFP/ArmA are supposed to be simulators. There's an entirely different approach to making, and judging a sim compared to an average fps action title.

Not to mention that fps action titles are 2 a penny these days...it's much harder to make a remarkable one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont know how i'd feel with that 'new take' on the genre. Might be just my fear, but that's what got us Advanced Warfighter and Vegas.
I say stick to the old, but improve on it as much as you can and add tons of new stuff. It has been a long time since any game had a proper sequel, but time has proven that it IS possible.
Just remember what Rogue Spear did for the original Rainbow Six, or what Hidden and Dangerous 2 added to the original's experience. That's what should happen in my opinion, and not trying something radically new.

Yet everybody complains about the CoD series :rolleyes:
What?

Upvote 0

Ofcourse the basics should be the same, it is a sequel. But it's more in how you take that on: add more stuff, like full sniper-support in Rogue Spear and leaning, stuff like that. It adds on the experience. That's what it should be all about.
But to be honest i havent seen CoD do anything really new, other then health regeneration wich in my honest opinion isnt a great addition at all :p
Not wanting to start a bashing-discussion though, it's just that i think what i mentioned is a different way of making a sequel then how CoD handles sequels.

I disagree with if OFP2 is gonna suck, it doesnt matter though. It's still the good name of OFP being smeared, by another company.
They better make it not suck so we can have two good tacsims instead of just one. I dont want to see the OFP name get put down with arcadey stuff because it is the best game i have ever played, even if i have ArmA2 to make up for it.

Upvote 0
That's also just excuses.
Not really. How often does a title like OFP/ArmA come along?

Hmmmm...

Operation Flashpoint - 2001
ArmA - 2006

Against

Call of Duty - 2003
Call of Duty 2 - 2005
Call of Duty 3 - 2006
Call of Duty 4 - 2007
Call of Duty : WaW - 2008

And that is just the CoD franchise, there are plenty of other titles that can be added to that list.

When something comes along less often, and when it's made by a developer with a proven history it becomes far more important and significant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really. How often does a title like OFP/ArmA come along?

Hmmmm...

Operation Flashpoint - 2001
ArmA - 2006

Against

Call of Duty - 2003
Call of Duty 2 - 2005
Call of Duty 3 - 2006
Call of Duty 4 - 2008
Call of Duty : WaW - 2008

And that is just the CoD franchise, there are plenty of other titles that can be added to that list.

When something comes along less often, and when it's made by a developer with a proven history it becomes far more important and significant.
So? It doesn't change the fact that ArmA is basically just OFP with 'new graphics' and a new setting, everything else feels totally the same like the 2001 OFP. And looking at those screens of ArmA2, while personally I think it looks good, it still seems to be essentially the same and more like an ArmA 1.5 and not like a new game, as you'd expect from a full game price.

So what's different with the CoD series? Call of Duty 4 had a completely new scenario(modern warfare), played differently and changed MP with all the ranks, perks achievements etc(there's a reason why it's the #3 most played online game). Call of Duty 5 introduced Coop and the obvious setting change.

Now what does ArmA2 offer? You can drag your wounded comrades away and maybe some new mp gamemode plus the standard scenario change. Wow, that's much more differences than with the CoD series.

Also I wouldn't count Call of Duty 3 as it was consol exclusive, then you might just as well count OFP:Elite as well.
Something else they have in common: They still build upon their original engine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0