• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Issues starting Mare Nostrum, Vista 64bit?

Murdock_SE

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 10, 2008
Hey. Long time RO fan and owner; but first time Mare Nostrum starter. I have reloaded it several times, says i got it at 100%; but no matter what, I try and launch her, and she just stops (no errors thrown) and lovingly enough, she throws up the Update News for STEAM. Lovely. Is there something I may have to do to get Mare Nostrum working properly on Vista 64BIT? RO and plenty of other programs work fine through STEAM for me; it appears to be MN specific.

Thanks for any pointers you may have. Murdock_SE

Is there something I may have to do to get Mare Nostrum working properly on Vista 64BIT? RO and plenty of other programs work fine through STEAM for me; it appears to be MN specific.

I've never seen an issue running Vista 64bit with RO or MN. (and I've been running/developing MN on 64-bit vista for a bit now).

So to recap:
You INstall MN via Steam, it goes to "100% Ready"; you launch MN via the Steam Games, and it does.. nothing.
Doesn't display the splash screen, no errors, etc ?

But to also recap; RO launches perfectly fine?

Did you have a version of the MN mod installed prior to the Steam Release?

Upvote 0
I've had Red Orchestra since box version.

I've had Red Orchestra since box version.

I've owned RO since original box version. No problems with it to-date on Vista64bit. I had reloaded on this system using download RO. This is the first attempt on this system to install MN. It had not worked as described, uninstalled local files for MN, tried re-installing, same results.

I can post a directx printout later if there are no logs to monitor. I'll check through Vista's program close log as well to see if anything kicked out and STEAM just did not present to screen.

Upvote 0
It's very likely NOT a directX issue, so DirectXdiag wouldn't do any good.

Can you create a Desktop Shortcut to Mare Nostrum. Using that shortcut do you get the same results?

Try deleting your MareNostrum.ini file ( located under ro / MareNostrum/System/ ) and relaunching. Same results?

BTW; Officially, the best place for support for MN is the MareNostrum forums. You happened to get luckly in that I saw the post here on the RO forums.
The MN forums can be found at: http://www.marenostrumgame.com/forum

(Since I'm already helping you here, I'll keep helping you here.. no need to move.. but for any future MN related support requests, please post them to the MN forums)

Upvote 0
I got it to work finally. I did the remove local files through STEAM for MN. As well as for RO. Then I went to the Steam/steamapps/common folder and had to manually delete the marenostrum folder. Then I reloaded RO through STEAM. Started it up fine and tested it all the way through to a server, etc. Then I reinstalled MN through STEAM, then it worked. So, I don't know the exact fault. But if anyone else complains similarly, have them:

1.) uninstall MN via STEAM
2.) uninstall RO via STEAM.
3.) Manually delete the folders in c:/programfiles/steam/steamapps/common/redorchstra and any subfolders, then..
4.) re-install RO.
5.) make sure RO works fully (get into a server and play one match).
6.) re-install MN.
7.) Try and launch Mare Nostrum now.

That is the process it took for me to get it to run properly.

And thanks for a great mod. I played for a while and I'm hooked. I've been playing the Forgotten Hope 2 mod for Battlefield 2 by EA Games, and it is similar, but yours has a different feel. Both are great. Thanks again for at least letting me babble with you until I kicked it into submission.

Upvote 0